'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

I believe the Pure Pleasure reissue of “New Moon Daughter” is AAA. It sure sounds fine.

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Isn't that the name of the game played in February between the best professional American football team in each conference?

Mugrug12 likes this.
  3. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Ha! I'm picturing it in 4 dimensions using VR in 2119.

AnalogJ likes this.
  4. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

I agree it does sound very good indeed. It is not AAA, however from what I understand.

johnpisme likes this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I only have this album on CD and it is the only thing by CW I have but I really like it. It looks like Ron McMaster cut this, and there has been talk around here about his cutting system not being an AAA path because it has some kind of digital preview head. I do not know if that was a constant thing over the years but it has been mentioned from time to time. IIRC Ron has retired and Ian Sefchick is now the main person cutting lacquers at Capitol Mastering. Since Pure Pleasure's reissue came out in 2013 I'd imagine it's close to being sold out by now and another higher quality reissue on vinyl would have appeal for some people.

6. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

So are these releases being made in limited print runs? Don't remember seeing anything about it in the intial press releases, but have noticed that even discs that came out a couple of months ago are OOS most places and are being flipped on eBay. Took a chance on a copy of Contours from Amazon Warehouse for $25. For that price I can't complain too much about a creased jacket.

7. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

No, these are not limited runs. Demand has exceeded supply though, leading to shortages until a repress can happen. Order numbers have been adjusted though so hopefully you'll see fewer OOS notices.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  8. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

Thanks for the response. I've started preordering most of these now, to avoid this problem.

9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Thanks Joe.

And it's pretty clear that old fans as well as new fans are buying almost every release.

aoxomoxoa and ausgraeme like this.
  10. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

I’m not sure. It’s marketed as analogue and Fremer has the other two Wilson releases listed as AAA on his recent top 100 list.

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

So, for those of us who received copies of the Gil Evans LP with the infamous loud pops on side two, I wonder if it would be wise to return them now and wait six months for the next pressrun?

12. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

13. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

Just got a notice that my Gil will be back in stock arriving June 5-6th for my replacement if that's any help. Of course I need to return the poppy one before May 31st

action pact likes this.
  14. action pact

Much appreciated!

15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just winding up one amazing day of music. Hung out at my "Little Shop Around The Corner" favorite local music store and was able to get my orders locked in for the 6/28 releases of "Face To Face" and "Clubhouse". And on top of that the 6/14 BN 80th three titles that will be on the way. Also got ordered the Speakers Corner (Keven Gray mastered) of the Max Roach with Hasaan classic. What an amazing time for Jazz fans!

Just a call out if I may, while I was there I got the new Jimmie Vaughan release "Baby Please Come Home"...my oh my is this not a special one, Performance - 10...Sound - 10, so good it's AAA to my ears, but don't know for sure. Oh, got the new Christone "Kingfish" Ingram today as well, and if you are a fan of the Blues, the praise for this 20 year old is more than true, very rare for someone with his talents to come around. Amazing debut album!

Sorry to have rambled, but just hit 62 today (still feel so young thanks to my love of music) and had one incredible day enjoying the incredible feeling it gives me!

GarySteel, peter1, Stu02 and 13 others like this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Where abouts do the pops occur?

17. AmiV

AmiV Forum Resident

Two consequent pops at the end of 'Lester leaps in' (side 2, track 1) and (on my copy) another one towards the end of 'Struttin' with some Barbecue'. The two pops are less than one revolution apart, so it's not a scratch.

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

I finally received my preordered copy of New Bottle Old Wine today, and I also hear what other users have described as tape hiss and pops (from non-fills?) at the end of Lester Leaps In, as well as throughout Willow Tree on side 1. This is an album I know pretty well, and my main copy is a mono test pressing of the original release, dated 8-22-58:
    [​IMG]

Even with a less-than-ideal new copy of the record, I was blown away by the superior sound quality of the Tone Poet reissue. Everything just sounds better. There is a clarity and definition (to the horns especially) in the Tone Poet copy that almost feels like the difference between listening to a band through an open door in the next room vs. being right in front of the players. Even in the quiet moments when I can hear the tape hiss, everything else sounds so much better that the hiss doesn't really bother me. I originally ordered the record because my test pressing doesn't have a jacket, and I thought a stereo copy might be a nice novelty. After a listen, however, the Tone Poet is going to be my definitive copy of this record. I may request a replacement from Amazon just to see if I get a better-playing copy, but I'd be happy if the replacement sounds the same as this one. Thanks to @Joe Harley for working your magic on this release!

Dai, Thing Fish, puelche and 9 others like this.
  19. AmiV

AmiV Forum Resident

Is there any evidence for the existence of a popless copy of New Bottle Old Wine ?

bluejimbop and 99khan like this.
  20. AmiV

AmiV Forum Resident

Listening again right now, and pleasantly surprised to find that the extra pop on Struttin' With Some Barbecue has vanished. The two on LLI however, are still there and still not that big of an issue (is it possible that they exist on tape rather than being a pressing artefact ?). I can most certainly live with a couple of pops on the 14 Tone-Poet sides I received so far.

Joti Cover and bluemooze like this.
  21. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Sounds like a really great B-day - rock on!

ausgraeme and scotti like this.
  22. action pact

A couple of easy edits to the tape would fix it if the pops were on the master.

23. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

French amazon changed the status of the Gil Evans LP to "not available".

bluemooze likes this.
  24. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

@Joe Harley - Since United Artists is under the Blue Note/Universal umbrella, are there any UA titles up for consideration in the next round on Tone Poet titles? If so, then I have 3 suggestions!

Kenny Dorham - Matador
    Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - 3 Blind Mice
    Benny Golson - Benny Golson and the Philadelphians

Carter DeVries likes this.
  25. please if someone who preordered on amazon US can tell me if Amazon charge the credit card when they ship the product or charge the credit card righ away at the checkout..
    thanks!