Game of Thrones: The Final Season (April 14, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

wait until the last episode....

2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

they 'walking deaded it' lol, I love when the internet is pissed.....will be interesting tomorrow at this time.....landing a series can be difficult and right now they seem to be running out of gas, missing a wheel or two...but maybe they can find the runway? will anything make people happy at this point? who live, who dies?

Wolverine 05 likes this.
  3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The trick with fooling Little Finger is that the show also had to fool the audience, or at least keep you guessing whether he would succeed in pitting Arya and Sanza against each other. Maybe I'm slower than you, but I was completely fooled right up until when Arya slit Littlefinger's throat. Yes, Sanza still seems childlike and unsophisticated. But she has certainly been through enough to make it believable that she doesn't trust men at all. I can understand the words "clumsy" or "hasty" used or some other criticism more valid than "dreck." As for Littlefinger not seeing it coming--he overplayed his hand with Sanza in a believable way, and since I didn't see it coming either, the twist worked for me. Now what else is dreck?

I didn't say it was "the only difference between Arya's and Daeny's arcs." I said it was "the only thing more complicated about Daeny's arc" because of the common theme in the features you cited in Daeny's character development. I was just pointing out that both their characters are basically motivated by avenging their father's death through power, but one sought become the queen, while the other sought power in becoming nameless and faceless. Perfectly parallel development.

marmalade166 likes this.
  4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah its ridiculous, but kind of funny, I think (hope) most think of this as their statement that theyre not loving the direction, and not that they'll reshoot or anything, but I bet we see a ton of fan made endings on youtube ol

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't seriously think that the vast majority of the signees expect that the season would actually be re-filmed. I think it's just a visceral, public show of immense disappointment in what has been delivered. Another words, a unified show of disapproval.

lschwart, GodShifter and JackBnimble like this.
  6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

There's only one thing you can say to all these pitiful fools signing petitions;

DRACARYS!!!;)

DLeet likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't have a problem with a negative review, because that's just an opinion.

Here's a good essay on what this writer felt were actual story and character problems with the recent Game of Thrones episode...

What Went Wrong With Game of Thrones Episode 'The Bells'

Writing an essay is not the same thing as being so "outraged" that they demand that the show be rewritten and reshot. Hell, I really disliked the last season of Lost, but it was their creative choice. I'm the last guy to say, "hey, let's get all the actors back and reshoot it!" That would just be stupid.

BeatleJWOL and Etienne Hanratty like this.
  8. daniel peterson

daniel peterson Forum Resident

Let's not forget that it is up to Daenerys to choose her own advisors. Moreover, advisors may offer a piece of advice, but it is Danaerys who makes the final decision. Therefore, ultimately, these mistakes go under her account.

9. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

10. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Not to mention the number of problems which arguably came about as a result of her insistence that people bend the knee without question.
    - Burning Dickon and Randyll Tarly may have seemed like the right thing to do in her head but it planted the seeds of doubt in Varys as well as Tyrion and eventually Aegon Targaryen. Not to mention it meant Samwell was predisposed to think she was a total nutter.
    - If She had accepted Jon as King in the North from the beginning not only would she have arrived in Winterfell to a bit more respect, the idea of this guy Jon Snow suddenly being Aegon Targaryen wouldn't be such a threat as they'd have some options rather than her worrying that everyone will turn their backs on her at the last minute.

It should also be noted that Queen Olenna's advice should be taken with a grain of salt and that's to put it generously. Remember that she has no interest in Danny's claim to the throne. She is there for one reason and one reason only, Revenge. Tyrion, Varys and Jon are the only ones who give her proper advice because they are the only ones who aren't motivated by short term gains. Taking Westeros properly requires a greater sacrifice but I think if you take into consideration the political realities of Westeros it's the only real way to do it.

I suspect Danny having been raised on her brother's stories of their family history doesn't really have an appreciation or understanding of those political realities.

11. daniel peterson

Guys, since it is the very last day of the whole journey, tell me what is your favorite quote from the series (books or TV show).

12. daniel peterson

I am going to kick it off with 'Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder.' By Petyr Baelish

ronbow likes this.
  13. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Arya: "Sandor, thank you." A touching moment between two characters who aren't really very sentimental.

EwaWoowa likes this.
  14. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

True, but Tyrion became her Hand at the time Jorah was off dealing with his grayscale; I have to think that Jorah would have been her Hand had he not revealed that to her once they met back up in the middle of Season 6, not Tyrion, and Jorah was always excellent at advising Dany. And it's funny because if you go back and watch when Tyrion was Joffrey's Hand in Season 2, he did a much better job, but still very much had a self-interest attitude back then as well. And I say this as a huge fan of Tyrion, but it is what it is.

GregM likes this.
  15. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

“If you think this has a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention.”
    -Ramsay Bolton

Vidiot and rswitzer like this.
  16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"Listen, c#&t! No one gets to kill you! Not even YOU get to kill you! Only I get to kill you!"- Bronn.

Frozensoda likes this.
  17. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things."
    Tyrion Lannister

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

"Although who doesn't like to see their friend's fail now and then?"

Varys

19. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

The Hound : Think I'll take two chickens.

Polliver : You don't seem to understand the situation.

The Hound : I understand that if any more words come pouring out your c@#t mouth, I'm gonna have to eat every f@cking chicken in this room.

20. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Tywin: Any man who states “I am the king” is no king.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  21. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Tormund to Davos: Happy Sh!tting

22. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

This is why I said we shouldn't go back and forth arguing about this. I thought the whole thing was a cheap narrative set up. I'll take back "dreck," if you think it's an overstatement, but I simply think that type of storytelling is a big step down from the more careful and patient plotting of the novels and the early seasons.

Sorry about the way I paraphrased that, but my point still stands. You're right that the stories are parallel in that sense, but I think it was a mistake to reduce the storytelling in Daeny's case to the aspects that parallel Arya. In doing that the show ignored the difference that the complications in Daeny's story make for a sense of what her story is about. I addition to what it shares with Arya's story, it's about bigger, more complicated things, and I'd have liked an adaptation that attended to that a lot more than what we got instead.

L.

23. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

This is probably the best video I’ve seen in years!!

Apocalypse in 9/8 set to the scene of Danny taking out Kings Landing.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Probably my favorite and the montage that plays behind his quote is pretty amazing TV. Too bad things have dropped off so badly.

lschwart likes this.
  25. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Exactly. The guy who started it even posted an “update” clarifying his intentions. Here’s some of what he said:

I made this petition some few days after Episode 4, “The Last of the Starks”, aired. I was just so disappointed and angry. It was simply me venting a bit. I posted it to r/freefolk on Reddit, it got nowhere, and I shrugged and went about my day. I had forgotten all about it. A week later, a coworker caught me before I was leaving for the day and asked, “Hey, is this you?” The petition had almost reached 500,000 signatures.

...I don’t think people can reasonably expect HBO to completely remake the season, or any part of this particular series (keep in mind the prequel spinoffs). It costs a fortune to shoot one episode, and I think most signers understand that. Will HBO lose gobs of money over this? Eh probably not. As Heath Ledger’s Joker once said, “It’s not about the money, it’s about sending a message.” And I think this message is one of frustration and disappointment at its core.

...I love this story, and I, like most of you, was crushed to see how the last season (and Season 7, let’s be real) has been handled. ... The issue I have is not necessarily with what we got, it’s HOW we got there -- A rushed, laughably inconsistent mess of a season fraught with cringe-inducing, arc-slaying dialogue and “everybody is stupid” syndrome.

... I didn’t make this petition to be an entitled, whiny fan. I made it because I was immensely disappointed and needed to vent. Do I have a solution? I’ve got plenty of ideas, but no, I’m not a Hollywood writer. But you don’t need to be a mechanic to know your car is broken.

Thank you to everyone for signing this silly thing...​

Note: I didn’t “sign” it - don’t see any reason to - but I also think it “makes sense” as an expression of frustration. That’s all it is.