My new Line Magnetic 216IA Integrated Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Erocka2000, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Here's the proof from my manual, just to make sure I'm not crazy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Guess it's a misprint though. I contacted Jon Halpern about it and he said the 216ia is intended to be a KT88 amp.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It’s a misprint. If you want to use EL34s, sell the 216 and buy a 211.

3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That's a fairly non-trivial misprint IMO. Putting an EL34 an the 216 could adversely impact the amusement of listening you never experienced before.

4. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

Is the potentiometer on this amp has loss of music resolution on lower setting (around 9 o'clock)?

Or is it only attenuators that will cause the degradation of sound when turned lower? Pardon my ignorance, I'm just getting into this subject.

5. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

A fairly appalling misprint to be honest - but I don't think anyone at Line Magnetic has much English - but more concerning is when your house burns down as a result of this where can you go for insurance support. Home insurance won't cover it if it doesn't meet government fire safety code - UL or CE I believe.

6. Omnio

I am planning to send over to my European home the LM216ia that I have; however, I am struggling where to find/order a genuine 220V transformer b/c I don't want to use a step down transformer. I've contacted Line-Magnetic EU but no response yet.

7. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

If you plan to do the eork yourself it iss worthwhile. If not you are probably better off selling it and then when you move back to Europe simply buy a second hand one. This will probably cost you less money.

G B Kuipers likes this.
  8. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Selling and buying used in the EU makes a lot of sense to me. The 211ia and 216ia units can be found for around 800 euros used in excellent condition, if you are patient.

9. Omnio

Thank you folks. I just found out that a 220V genuine transformer would cost 109$, plus shiping, from China. Decisions, decisions.

10. alex amos

alex amos Well-Known Member

Hi. I am a late arrivee to this particular forum although I have owned the 216 for nearly two years. I happened on this forum because I was doing web research on using kt120 with amp. The fellow in Upscale was talking euphemistically about the Tungsol 120 ; i have always held that chap in high regard - even though his market is strictly USA. I read somewhere that the KT120 could be used in any? amp which could support 6550!! Now , I had tried the Tungsol 6550 away back when I bought the LM and was very disappointed with the sound. I have been using kt88 gold lion since. I know that I have subsequently changed the input valves at the time i installed the GL and had been happy with the KT88 so when I reverted back to the 6550 yesterday , I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy my Jazz. The valves seems more powerful than the gold lion. (they are probably getting old!) I still cannot ascertain whether it is too dangerous to try the 120s. ( the increased strain on the transformer seems to me to be within manufacturing tolerances). I had hear them in a Primas Luna in a showroom and was quite impressed. It is a waste of time trying to get info from LM - the last time I asked for some info, some idiot accused me of purchasing a fake unit! (Just why anyone would go to the trouble of faking except maybe for the overpriced EU market.) One chap in this forum did say that he had used the 120s without a problem - but regrettably he seems to be a lone ranger!
    Any truth to the rumour that the LM corporate has broken up?

11. alex amos

Would you kindly ask your friend what bias settings he used. My tube adviser says that the KT120 can be used with the correct bias BUT the bias meter on the LM is not specific.

12. alex amos

I gave up trying!! The 216 obviously did not want the 34s

13. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

There are plenty of Fake Line Magnetic Amps out there. You can go to China-hifi-audio.com and see LOTS of them...including models you never even heard of. Heck you can still get the 518 in either color you want!! LOL

14. alex amos

How can you say that? There is money to be made in faking Rolex , maybe but a complicated and expensive amp.? Does anyone have any more info - yes a LM guy said that my LM 216 was a fake becasue I bought it from China A. ! There is a lot of hoo haa in Europe as well but, how can a user tel?

15. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

I haven't seen any evidence of fakes. Certainly, there's an abundance of grey market LM's in the wild. Fakes I've yet to see any categorical evidence for.

And yes, I've seen LM's statements on same. But they seem to be bona fide models supplied by Chinese outlets - not an atypical occurrence.

Oddly, I believe some of those colour scheme models not available to Europe are available to China customers officially.

16. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Chine Hi-Fi is not a Line Magnetic dealer and offer no LM backed warranty. Proceed with caution. Not sure what "evidence" your looking for.

17. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

From my understanding, they're simply grey market offerings.

18. brownmagic

brownmagic Well-Known Member

I’m a new LM88IA owner. I believe it’s probably a similar design to the 216. I’m running the stock tubes. Got about 25 hours on the amp so far. Been hearing that the LM amps need about 100 hours before critical listening. Can 216 owners share their experience? How the sound changed out of the box to 100 hours.

19. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Anybody compared the LM-34IA to a Croft 25/7 or Integrated? Might be an option for my Spendor BC1's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.