Recommendations for a small good quality subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jwhitephoto, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Especially considering this is a cabin system. OP may very well have better gear at home? He’s asking about something cheap but good for price, not “what’s the best subwoofer”. The Polks or the Martin Logan seem like they fit the bill based on what the OP actually asked!

Tim S and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It would be novel if just a few would.

Sometimes you get an OP who is looking for something at a somewhat unrealistically low price and for the price, the quality of the options available is questionable at best.

Other times, there are some excellent deals that would be much better for just a little bit more money.

In these type of situations, I can see making these kind of "qualified" recommendations.

It is just that I see this far to often, where the OP states what he is looking for and why, like the OP has done here.

Yet, forum members insist on recommending products that often are multiples of the the price that the OP is requesting.

Why not do something novel and try to recommend a solution that is within the price range requested by the OP or at least offer an explanation for not doing so that makes some kind of sense?

bever70 and Tim S like this.
  3. SandAndGlass

The PSW10 that Litejazz73 recommended is the same one that I recommended back in post #6, but at a better price.

Which makes it a constructive post.

Big Blue likes this.
  4. SandAndGlass

Most people are aware that they can buy a subwoofer for between $400-$800.

The OP is just looking to see if anyone can make some alternate, less expensive suggestions.

Big Blue and Tim S like this.
  5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 10" Powered Sub, like my Polk Audio. Their always on sale at Best Buy.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. SandAndGlass

A 10" sub almost always works. But sometimes, if your room is small and your space is limited, an 8" sub can work fine too.

A 10" is such a good all around sub.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  7. Bingo Bongo

Good point! In that case, I'd get 2 8" subs.... :D:D

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

I like multiple subs and have generally run two or more subs in the main audio room.

I had been running the 8", 75-Watt Martin Logan Dynamo in the Bedroom with a pair of Peachtree/Era D5 bookshelf speaker's and it sounded fine.

You didn't really realize that there was even a sub there. You just noticed that the overall sound was big and full.

9. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I understand you don’t want to go much higher than $300, but...

SVS usually has a Memorial Day Sale so you may be able to score their SB-1000 for much less than the $499 MSRP. Maybe they’ll mark them down to $399, then you have a sub you can stick with if you ever upgrade your speakers. Worth checking it out since Memorial Day is only a week away.

(For example, last Memorial Day I scored a Piano Gloss Black SB-2000 for $650. The normal price is $800, so they have had some really good deals during previous Memorial Days.).

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    waaguirr and Big Blue like this.
  10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

This isn’t a bad suggestion, if not much higher than $300 can mean $400 to the OP, and if they actually do turn out to offer such a sale. People seem to like their SVS subs.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Most don't. Just a parade of "I like this!" regardless of what the OP says.

Doesn't really matter, I guess. It's yet another example of someone asking a question and vanishing instead of thanking those who took the time to reply and/or giving an update.

12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Do you mean M24? I note those have a "subwoofer out" but don't see any indication of a highpass filter. The most you can do I guess is turn down the bass control to reduce the low frequency load on the Peachtree, and hope that does not affect the sub out.

13. Bingo Bongo

That's the key to a great setup. Not overpowering sound coming from the subs, just a nice clean sound from the whole spectrums.. :righton::righton::righton:

SandAndGlass and Big Blue like this.
  14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yep. When I set up my sub, I knew I had things set pretty close when it just sounded like the speakers were playing deeper and I wouldn’t even realize there was a subwoofer in the corner had I not unboxed the thing and lugged it over there myself.

Bingo Bongo, bever70 and SandAndGlass like this.
  15. BIGGER Dave

Big Blue and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. SandAndGlass

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

Even with my large commercial sub, it only comes in at 40-Hz. and below.

If there is not low bass, than you don't even know that it is there.

If there is some bass, the speaker's just seem to be fuller sounding.

And if there is Dubstep of something that has a LOT of sub-bass you still don't know the sub is playing, because sound at this frequency is omnidirectional and even with this large subwoofer sitting right in front of you, you still can not tell that the sub-bass is coming from the sub.

You can even stand a few feet away and still not tell where the sub-bass is originating from.

And there is a 1,600-Watt Crown amplifier powering it. Still the bass is what it is supposed to sound like and is never overpowering.

Big Blue likes this.
  18. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I don’t know which will sound better, but that Klipsch seems like an amazing deal at that price. I’d maybe choose between that and the PSW125 based on space (I like a 12” over a 10” if there’s room, and they’re the same price). Or, if $360 is OK, maybe two of the PSW110, again assuming there is space for two subwoofers. Any of these options should be pretty good for what the OP needs.

19. SandAndGlass

I'd still opt for the Martin Logan Dynamo 500 for $200.

20. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

21. SandAndGlass

I think the PSW110 is a newer, 200-Watt updated version of the PSW10, which is 100-Watts.

I found a new PSW505 12" 300-Watt sub new on eBay. It's $225 + $40 shipping for a total of $265. It has a -3 dB. point at 28-Hz.

*** NEW (other) *** Polk PSW505 Powered Subwoofer (Single/Black)

[​IMG]

This is an excellent sub for someone who wants a larger more powerful sub. It weighs 48-lbs and is a substantial sub for stereo or powerful HT sub.

I have owned one and it is had to beat a sub this strong for the money. Mine was $229, but that was back in 2012, seven years ago.

Amazon is selling it for $277.34 with free shipping.

Strat-Mangler and Tim S like this.
  22. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. SandAndGlass

Clonesteak likes this.
  24. BIGGER Dave

25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Big Blue and SandAndGlass like this.