The Ash Ra Temple-Ashra-Manuel Göttsching appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by amonjamesduul, Oct 8, 2009.

1. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident Thread Starter

On the Krautrock Facebook page there is a guy who works at the Dieter Dirks studio and he shows pictures of the tape vault which from what I can gather has been recently opened and they are investigating what actually is in it.In some of the pictures there is a stack of ART tape piles,like a lot.It's hard to tell what they are when even they don't know yet but a lot of OHR artists names appear in the pictures.Appearently some of these tapes are being worked on and will be released.I noticed one ART stack of Starring Rosi so the fact that these is more than one means maybe multi tracks or alternate takes maybe.So all I know is what I could get from reading posts over there.

2. '84 Pontiac Dream

'84 Pontiac Dream Well-Known Member

Oh man, I'd love to go through those tapes. What an exciting find.

3. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

E2-E4 is a masterpiece, in the truest definition of the term.

Genius.

mgb70, FredHubbard and JMAC like this.
  4. amonjamesduul

5. moondog68

moondog68 Active Member

I haven't ever replied in this forum but I just wanted to ask the question, where is this Facebook Krautrock page that you are talking about above?

6. moondog68

moondog68 Active Member

Here is an email I got for MG.ART:

"Hello,

sorry for the delay, but finally I got an answer from Mr. Göttsching.

"Inventions for Electric Guitar" was mixed in Quadro to a stereo Master with encoded SQ Quadro.
    A copy of this master tape was used for the rerelease on CD (MG.ART 401) and for the rerelease on Vinyl ( MG.ART 901).
    (see our website)

As it seems rather unlikely that there were copies of the original Master then made "without" containing the original encoded SQ, all rereleases on should possibly still replay with an appropriate SQ Decoder in Quad.

Unfortunately the idea of SQ Quad and its devices/decoders was "short-lived", and those few are gone for longtime.
    Never been able to check this properly we did not mention the original notice on the back of the Vinyl cover for the option of Quadrophonic replay with an SQ decoder. We only left the front sticker ("Galaxy sound" etc.) as a "historic" reference to the original cover.

If you still find someone today who owns and / or uses such equipment Mr. Göttsching will be happy to hear about.
    A probable significant audio reference part may be heard at the end of the track "Pluralis" when the chords turn around the four channels in circles.

Yes, we are going to rerelease all the old albums on Vinyl, the first will now be "Schwingungen" around end of May 2021.
    ("Inventions for Electric Guitar" had already been rereleased on Vinyl in 2016)

Best regards,
    Andreas
    MG.ART"

So this is the information that I got from Manuel Gottsching's representative about the "remastered" CDs. So all are SQ quad stereo encoded and can play back with a SQ decoder (such as the Surround Master v2 from Involve Audio which is what I do). And they used a tape master for "Inventions for Electric Guitar" at least.

7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This is excellent news! "Schwingungen" is an album where it's mandatory that it's in top condition because the title track is a nightmare when played from a worn copy!

MC Rag likes this.
  8. moondog68

moondog68 Active Member

We can only hope that the new pressings will be from a high quality pressing plant. Does anyone here have "Inventions For Electric Guitar"? Maybe listening to that we can predict if the "Schwingungen" repressings will be good or not.

9. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

Sort of reviving this thread. I've been (re)getting into ART stuff lately, but I am honestly kind of appalled by the quality of pretty much any CD version I've seen, my biggest problem being the use of NR. From what I've gathered here, the Manuel remasters of anything but Inventions for Electric Guitar should be avoided, because they suffer from the same problems as the original CDs, right? And concerning this Schwingungen vinyl reissue, does it exist at all? May has gone by, and it it does exist, will it be from an actual tape copy?

RobGordon35 likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

Wrote to him three weeks ago, they said it would come "in 2 or 3 months".

11. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I couldn't hear any difference between Spalax & MG.Art CD versions of Inventions for Electric Guitar so I just kept all my Spalax ART CDs. That said I'm happy with the Spalax, but I know some people say those Answer to the Master LP rips are better.

RobGordon35 and zphage like this.
  12. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

Answer to the Master? Sounds like an interesting name :D
    I do indeed wonder if the first ART album would actually finally engage me as I am pretty sure it would, as I am a total sucker for this style of mystical quasi-religious take on meditative drones and psychedelia, but every digital version I've heard sounds like all the life has been sucked out of it.

RobGordon35 likes this.
  13. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

You can see the stuff the "Answer to the Master" guy PBTHAL has ripped here: ANSWER TO THE MASTER PHONOMENA SERIES – PBTHAL ARCHIVES (Vinyl Done Right)
    He's also done some Amon Duul, Can & Popol Vuh rips.

caravan70, RobGordon35 and TheSaltman like this.
  14. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

But no sign of a repress of the debut? That's what I'm waiting on the most....

RobGordon35 likes this.
  15. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

I just got an email from Stranded Records regarding this release, says Oct 15, 2021 , "Re-cut carefully overseen by Manuel Göttsching himself".

Ash Ra Tempel - Schwingungen LP MG.Art - Stranded Records

MC Rag, sberger and j4yheindeo like this.
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Already "Sold Out" on their site. Forced Exposure has some for preorder.

17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I listened to New Age of Earth at the weekend. I bought it some years ago to make up an Amazon package.

Its the only thing of his I’ve heard, but I like it.:)

MC Rag likes this.
  18. amonjamesduul

Manuel Göttsching and Hans-Joachim Roedelius had a concert in Berlin recently according to the Ashra website,would be cool to see something become of this on CD or DVD.I gotta wonder if a box set of some sort is in the works for ART ,Ashra or MGs work in general since a lot of other "older" acts are doing such things.From what I have seen on the FB Krautrock page some ART tapes were discovered in Dieter Dierks studio recently. So a box set with 5.1 material and even the Private tapes since they are OOP and over 20 years old with a large book would be welcome.

19. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Any sound quality comments on the Schwingungen reissue?

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Nothing to compare it to but sounds excellent to me.

soundQman and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  21. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Great to hear, thanks for the report!!

22. Neonbeam

Saw it yesterday but was hesitant to buy it. But then again: The other MG reissues were excellent and I'm not feeling lucky enough to try out an 1972 O(h)riginal. One doesn't need crackling during the title tracks ultra silent parts.

420JJJazz666 and sberger like this.
  23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

They also did a real nice job with Gottsching's "Inventions For Electric Guitar" and "E2-E4".

MC Rag, Neonbeam and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  24. vox.jubilante

vox.jubilante Forum Resident

I'll second what sberger said: it sounds good to me and far better than the old 2-fer (Spalax?) I used to have (with 7-up) which I recall as sounding anemic and blah. It's not too loud, has dynamics intact, and I have no issues with it at all.

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  25. amonjamesduul

It seems that Tarot from Walter Wegmuller will be released Dec of 2022 which has Manuel G on guitar as you all know along with the rest of the "cosmic jokers".Looks like a double CD a 4CD set and the vinyl will be available with a deluxe set being the only one containing the tarot cards as in the original set.What else the deluxe set includes has not been revealed yet as far as I can tell.

caravan70, MC Rag, elsanto and 3 others like this.