100 worst movies of all-time.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Oh, I knew it would be awful when I rented it. Being head-over-heels in love with Alyson Hannigan :love: can make a man take desperate measures on occasion.

2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I appreciate that they chose from movies that actually had budgets and - in most cases - actors that are capable of good acting when they care enough to do it or are given a good script. It's way too easy to just slam low budget/no budget movies that don't pretend to be anything they aren't.

I've seen three off the list:

Exorcist 2: The Heretic - definitely, definitely belongs on this list

Howard the duck - No idea what I was expecting from this. But I've seen worse and Lea Thompson is very sexy. I'd replace this on the list with something really cringey like Rob Reiner's "North" or Cameron Crowe's "Elizabethtown."

"Baby Geniuses" - we have a winner. Comes in at #21 on the list. I watched this on broadcast tv when I had three crappy over the air signals and didn't feel like getting out of bed. I watched the whole thing cause I was dumbfounded and kept waiting to see if it could actually get worse. Experiencing this made me weep for humanity.

3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Hyperbole. Regarding The Last Jedi, how one goes from 5 out of 5 stars to one of the worst movies ever made is beyond me. You enjoyed it enough at one time to give 5 out of 5 stars. That has to count for something.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

these lists make me laugh....

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Lists are ridiculous. The greatest frontman of all time once said that comparisons are “useless and ugly” and “a short cut to thinking.” And it’s true. Why think about a film and assess it on its own merits when you can simply compare it to a bunch of other films?

And I should probably discontinue my participation in this thread, lest I be accused of hypocrisy.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

I guess irony isn't your strong suite.

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Ha! I missed that. Anyway, it wasn’t really a comparison as much as it was praise for that particular frontman. I didn’t put him on a list or directly compare him to another frontman, but you found a minor chink in my armor, so kudos to you.

MikaelaArsenault and Michael like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you can't compare...there will always be films that will be appreciated no matter how bad ppl think they are...LOL.

MikaelaArsenault and Encuentro like this.
  9. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Lists like this need to be categorized a bit. I don't think it's entirely fair putting a failed film produced by a fertilizer salesman (Manos) on the same list as the Exorcist II, directed by John Boorman, who also directed Deliverance and Hope and Glory.

I think you need categories like failed art films (The Room) major-budget flops (Battlefield Earth, The Exorcist II) cheap exploitation flicks (everything by Uwe Boll) and cheap comedies (most Adam Sandler films, those cheap "national lampoon" knockoffs) Along with, of course, B/C/D/Z-movie fare such as Manos. Also, if you are going to list the director, you should, at the very least, note where the studio interfered with the end product, which was what happened with Highlander II.

I didn't see North on the list, which is special for me as it was the first film I watched that I actively disliked. Up until that point I had seen plenty of bad movies, but found something, at the very least, entertaining in all of them. Leonard Part 6 stands out in this regard, as there were some amusing parts here and there. North was simply, front-to-back, awful in every way. I had no idea what was going on, why anyone was doing anything, and found none of it interesting or funny. You could tell it was trying to be funny and interesting, and simply failing.

BrentB, Mechanical Man, BZync and 3 others like this.
  10. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

The point of the list (of course) is the 40+ web trackers Ghostery stopped for me on each page. At least they didn't make it 100 pages. I've seen Manos and Santa Claus on MST3k and actually paid to see Howard the Duck in the theater, but none of the others. But it is always good to confirm that like many here I was born before time began.

11. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Yes, North would make my top 10 of worst films I've seen.

MikaelaArsenault and jbmcb like this.
  12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

On just the first page my combined blockers/safety addons spotted 60. The sad thing: that's not the most I've ever seen on one page :(

MikaelaArsenault and Drifter like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I've seen 13 on the list, the rest I knew enough to not even bother.

It really is a very lazy piece of list assembly. There are lots worse movies out there.

Got to give Halle Berry credit by the way, for actually showing up to accept her Razzie awards.

14. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Crappy list. I've watched a lot of terrible movies on Amazon Prime that were worse than the 15 or so I've seen on that list.

15. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

That is the only way to do it!

MikaelaArsenault and seed_drill like this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

With her Oscar in one hand and her Razzie in the other. I thought that was very cool.

I thought Halle Barre was the only Oscar winner to accept a Razzie, but Sandra Bullock also accepted hers. Although technically she wasn't an Oscar winner yet (she won it the next day).

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The thread title should be changed to 100 Worst Movies Of All Time.

Strat-Mangler and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Godfather :D:cop:

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The ones I don't agree with:

Problem Child

Problem Child 2

Look Who's Talking Now

In my opinion, all three of those were funny.

The ones I agree with:

Bucky Larson: Born To Be A Star

Daddy Day Camp

Furry Vengeance

Caddyshack II

Tim S and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Can't say I disagree with the films I've seen on the list.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  21. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I've only seen two or three (I can't remember if I saw Santa Claus Conquers The Martians or not) and only barely remember one of those (Catwoman), they were all so long ago.
    Pretty unappealing looking list of movies, but who cares?

22. John54

John54 Senior Member

I saw that one when I was 10 or 11, too young to really "appreciate" it. I suppose the fact that the Martian boy and girl were named Bomar and Girmar should have been a clue.

Jack Lord likes this.
  23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I resent any list that makes you click more than once.....!

and I think Manos as low budget and sloppy as it is at least is fun (I guess mst3k helps lol)

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Meh, I think most of those films were more average in their badness... and all the recent shark spin stuff is made to be bad. Actually Robo Shark was pretty much awful what with the Space Needle falling on it and all, so bad I really enjoyed it, which makes it good at being bad. Bravo!

Santa Claus Versus The Martians is another brilliantly entertainingly bad film and very beloved, but then this list seems to be the product of someone who has never seen much that wasn't booked at a U.S. multiplex.

To me Bad bad movies are Get Shorty, Be Cool, Mr. & Mrs. Smith or Rambo II. Bad in a very not good way to me, like Baywatch with guns and Rodney Dangerfield dialogue. I didn't like Forrest Gump either though, very manipulative plus a totally predictable post-Big Chill soundtrack. Talented people can make utter garbage when they lay anything on too thick.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  25. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

As much as I hate Forrest Gump, I can't really put it on a worst list. I actually like Get Shorty, unless I am possibly getting it mixed up with another movie?

Matthew Tate and beccabear67 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.