Does "The Matrix" still hold up for you?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mpayan, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I always bust out laughing when the inspection guy at the metal detector says, "excuse me sir, let us check your coat." And Keanu Reeves opens up his coat to reveal about 39 automatic weapons.

I also like that every time they run out of ammo, they just drop the gun, grab another, and keep on shooting. Completely nutty in real life, but very cool for a fantasy picture.

2. I still enjoy "The Matrix" but to fully enjoy it I have to try and forget the other movies because they are not very good.
    The Matrix was our first experience into many things.
    One thing they got right from the get go was writing the idea basically anything goes once you are out of The Matrix.
    This opened the door to endless possibilities the writers and directors took full advantage of in a good way.

I look at The Matrix like a carnival ride. While you may know the outcome, it is still fun to take the ride from time to time.

3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I definitely respect and appreciate the first film because, especially for how lackluster that period in mainstream film was, it was such a game changer. I realize it intellectually but it’s like the Beatles (ohmyga), I’ll never TRULY get it. It’s not a perfect movie but it’s still a solid one overall.

Though yes, the sequels suck.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

Yes, I is the best, but they will hold up tell the end of time.

Linger63 likes this.
  5. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

The recent 4K Blu-rays of all three films were given new 2160p scans from the original camera negatives and a brand new color-grading overseen and approved by DP Bill Pope who shot the entire trilogy... by all accounts, it's a distinct improvement on the green-washed 1080p Blu-ray of the first film released in 2009 and looks marvelous in it's own right, but still not as good (in my humble opinion) as the original 1999 DVD release which looked more natural overall and much closer to the original theatrical timing.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  6. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Thing is - The Matrix totally reeks of the 90s on all fronts. Long coats, lots of strangely-shaped sunglasses and that overall scenario which is clearly inspired by the millenium angst at the time. Personally, I prefer Matrix Reloaded - the music is even more awesome and that car chase is sooo satisfying to watch.

The original is a classic, of course, but as was said before, all the "deep" explanations are off-putting sometimes. Reloaded fared way better by combining some of the more highbrow elements (like the Keymaker and the concept of the Architect) with fantastic action sequences (the opening scene with Carrie-Anne Moss in that garage is an amazing way to start a movie, imo) and a great soundtrack.

Long story short: The Matrix is clearly a product of its time, still a fun watch but surpassed by its initial sequel.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I put it to you all that it was the movie that 'made' DVD's!
    Kind of like how "The Joshua Tree" made CD'S!

Linger63 likes this.
  8. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I still like watching the Matrix once every few years or so. I did see it in the theaters during its initial release. Definitely a groundbreaking action film.

AcidPunk15, Chris DeVoe and Linger63 like this.
  9. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I am generally not a fan of movies that are built around special effects, but I like this one a lot. It's a good story. The sequels were choppy, but both had some spectacular moments. Anyway, yeah, the first one has held up well.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Only Agent Smith holds up.

11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Whenever a name, "Anderson" pops up on TV, both the wife and I say, "Misssster Anderson....."

jeroemba and Ginger Ale like this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off Thread Starter

Thank you, Missster Ale.

Ginger Ale likes this.
  13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Loved it when it came out, the theater was empty. I watched it again the next day. I guess the word hadn't gotten out yet. I love it still.

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm a Matrix nut and I watch all 3 form time to time (once every couple of years or something). Watched all three a few months ago and they still hold up very well despite Reeves' hopeless acting.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  15. I think Reeves acting plays to the role of the character in the film so it works perfectly. When he’s well cast, it works when he isn’t, not so much.

blind_melon1 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

You mean that elf guy, Elrond?

Ginger Ale likes this.
  17. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

If "The Matrix" is a product of its time then it's primarily because of its success. Long black trench coats / funky black glasses became popular after the movie was released. Claiming the real world outfits were inspired by grunge is kinda odd since it's just non-descript tattered clothing and Matrix counterparts are much more fetishized than typical 90's fair. If anything all the men in suits and use of (black / green / blue / muted) colors was meant to make the film more timeless than dated.

The Bullet-Time and wire-fu sequences were pretty revolutionary at the time and often imitated afterwards. The practical effects / subtle CGI make the movie more appealing than some of its contemporaries (I'm looking at you Jar Jar Stinks!).

The techno music might be dated but makes sense for a cyber-punk movie and the orchestral score holds up remarkably well. Those claiming it's a "(white) male power fantasy" might be on to something but isn't that the plot of most 20th century sci-fi (still looking at you Star Wars!) .

The sudo-philosophical/mythological/religious references are just another attempt at making the films more timeless. And the idea of computers taking over isn't a 90's construct (see The Terminator / 2001 / Westworld for some popular examples).

Sorry for the rant but reading some of these "quasi"-critics retroactively bashing The Matrix offsite is pretty absurd. I honestly think the Wachowski's were trying to make the film timeless while adhering to established cyber-punk / sci-fi tropes. I guess they failed if everybody thinks the film is "stuck in the '90s".

Chris DeVoe and Encuentro like this.
  18. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

You mean Mitzi, right?

Ginger Ale likes this.
  19. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Agent Elrond, Queen of the Matrix.....

planetexpress likes this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's not. It's actually inspire by japanimation/manga if anything.

Also elements of film noir in terms of atmosphere. Plenty of retro inspiration such as monochrome monitors, for instance.

Sunglasses being used as something cool isn't anything new, nor has it stopped happening after The Matrix. Case in point...

[​IMG]

Long coats have largely been replaced with capes ; Batman, Superman, and whatever other superhero is shown onscreen.

I got bored. It was never-ending and ironically dragged the movie's pacing down.

If you want to see exciting car chases, watch Ronin. That's how it's done. No wires or special effects needed, either. :)

Interesting. I disagree completely because the explanations in the first movie are necessary. After multiple viewings, perhaps the TV sequences is somewhat boring but it's not lengthy and the rest of the movie isn't slowed down, IMHO.

Adding other characters like the Keymaker and the Architect made things more complex and not satisfying. The viewer needs to invest more thought and attention but we're not rewarded for it as we have no idea what these people can do to change the situation. They're thrown into the mix and we're expected to just go along with it. It makes it confusing for some.

And Carrie-Anne Moss in the room surrounded by policemen she easily vanquishes was a terrific kick-start and one of the great ways to show the audience "This is what our movie will look/feel like" If you don't like that, you won't like the rest. Entertaining and gets the blood pumping. Attention-getting which was needed as it was the first one.

:biglaugh: Oh, you're serious. :p

LeBon Bush likes this.
  21. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

The first film was, and remains an excellent film and I think it holds up well to this day.

The sequels however could be lost for all of time for all I care, just awful films.

blind_melon1, enro99 and gabacabriel like this.
  22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Watched the Matrix last weekend for the first time in many years.
    Definitely felt a bit dated, had a hard time getting through it.
    Will rewatch the last third (I was drifting in/out of sleep) to see if my opinion changes.
    On DVD, picture not great. Is the Blu-ray enough of an improvement to bother?

23. Strat-Mangler

Here you go. Put it full-screen to see every detail.

enro99, planetexpress and Blair G. like this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

That's most movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.