Sting releasing new album: 'My Songs'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael Rose, Mar 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

www.sting.com he's reworking all his popular song from the police
    and his solo career.. I listen to few reworked songs colored me bored..
    Rolls eyes.. another thing I won't buy from sting.

Michael Rose likes this.
  2. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

OK. Been in a Sting mood lately so I preordered this one. The new version of Demolition Man sounded pretty good, so I'll give the album a chance.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  3. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

time for Sting to Retire ! this is a crappy album!

Inner ear and Demolition Man like this.
  4. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Ah, a troll!

Edit: stop trolling please.

5. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

Just one sentence: enough, Sting. It's not our fault if you wrote a bunch of beautiful songs, be happy with it and call it a day!

6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

My own personal opinion - why not just release a live album featuring these changed up arrangements? It would have felt a bit more organic, and would have sidestepped the backlash of rehashing songs in the studio, because Sting changes up stuff live anyways

Vinyl_Blues, Goatboy, ARK and 6 others like this.
  7. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I suggested something not dissimilar over at superdeluxeedtion.

Commercially I can understand Sting's impetus for releasing an album of re-worked/imagined/recorded tracks - artistically it's a bit of a tougher sell (for me, at least).

For example, I'd be staggered if anybody thinks his new version of Every Breath You Take improves on the original...

danielbravo, JeffMo and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

Just listening to the new album via Spotify. The Police tracks are almost identical, so why bother?

Ryan Lux and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Listened to this today. I love Sting/Police, I really like all 3 of Sting’s previous albums, but this is not good. I think the SDE review is spot on, and after listening it’s quite generous in its assessment.

He manages to robotize and take the life and passion out of all these tracks, especially the Police songs.

Which is a bummer. I actually think what Simon did with Blue Light was amazing. This, well, not so much.

Dave513 and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I’m a relatively big fan and I actually liked Symphonicity album despite the ridiculous title! But I just listened to new one and don’t care for it.

The suggestion above about recording a live album of new arrangements was a good one, but I’m listening to deluxe version on iTunes which includes live bonus tracks and I don’t like those either.

Are these the versions he is going to play during his Vegas residency? Ugh...

Btw, this isn’t a new idea for Sting. His live albums Bring On The Night, All This Time and Certifiable with The Police all had new arrangements too.

Goatboy, jamesc and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Can anyone identify all the songs, which ones were redone, and where the live ones were recorded? Also, what's the odd "Spirits In The Material World"? It's listed as a live track, but certainly doesn't sound live to me.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Huge fan. This is not good stuff, to my ears. Just not digging it. :(

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I think you could put together a 2 or 3 cd set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Difference is that all those albums are enjoyable with the new arrangements. "My Songs" on the other hand feels like a quickly produced cash grab aimed at justifying him being on yet another greatest hits tour.

JeffMo likes this.
  15. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I think the reviews for this will be similar to those for Spinal Tap's "Shark Sandwich!"

16. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

My theory is that Sting was replaced with a clone some time during his Brand New Day tour. It explains everything.

17. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I listened once more. Same opinion. I prefer ALL of the originals and even dislike many of the new versions.

A shame, really.

18. Fdee

Fdee Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard of this album until it showed up on my Tidal recommendations today, gave it a listen and like many others, wasn't really moved.
    Not only is the music not for me, I found that the album lacks cohesion. I'm not really sure who the target audience is for this - the songs are all over the place with some being almost identical to the originals and others with arrangements that are all over the place.

P.S. - I'm a fan of The Police and even liked Brand New Day :)

Matthew Tate and Wired4Fun like this.
  19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

a lot of it sounds almost the same but with sting being older

20. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I'm only halfway through it so far, but surprised by the lack of fades on the live tracks. The crowd noise just CUTS IN at full volume from silence. Oversight or laziness?

And Shape Of My Heart & Fields Of Gold sound exactly the same as the original versions, probably with more dynamic compression added to make them louder.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. A Jammy Bastard

A Jammy Bastard Well-Known Member

longtime listener, first time caller...

I bet he did this was so that he could
    1. make “new” money and own the royalties out right.
    2. change the pitches to fit his voice now...and thereby reduce fans expectations of him
    hitting the notes of the originals in concert.
    (Might be a stretch I know, but these tracks are def pitched down. The worst thing for an older artist is to be compared to his/her younger self)

BTW - on the old Police songs did he put Josh Freese on a click?
    If you know The Police, spec. Sting and Stewart’s relationship, you know that Sting
    always wished he could reign in Stew’s “push/pull”.

22. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Sting, get back with Stewart and Andy to make an album. You're 30 years of AM radio solo music are coming to an end.

23. Because the live versions wouldn't get used in advertisements and other placements. There is a financial angle to this.

ARK, JasonA and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Mirrorblade.1

Yeah, it's sad.. it is a cash grab..
    I mean all b-sides from his early solo cds
    and won't release those in deluxe edition..

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Mirrorblade.1

I have all his cds skipped last ship and shaggy one.
    and few others..
    I will listen to original versions as they were intended ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.