Nirvana- Nevermind vs In Utero. Which one is the better album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KurtNevermind, Apr 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KurtNevermind

KurtNevermind Kurt Cobain's greatest fan Thread Starter

I exactly know what you mean. Another reason of many for me as well why it is my opinion "In Utero" is the absolut best of Nirvana.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    illwind64 likes this.
  2. buddachile

buddachile Forum Resident

No "I voted" sticker for you!

KurtNevermind likes this.
  3. KurtNevermind

And besides: Nirvana worked hard on "In Utero", too.

buddachile likes this.
  4. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

In Utero hands down. Nevermind has some great songs, but they're buried under that super slick production...makes it hard for me to listen to.

Fullbug likes this.
  5. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Nevermind for me. Saw them live at Reading '92. Always loved that album. Back then it was constant coverage of Nirvana in the UK music weeklies and it quickly became tiresome. When In Utero was finally released it never hit the same heights as Nevermind.

6. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

I started out with Nevermind. Dynamic, raw, lonely, hard, and too my ears long lasting. A smack that set me back and this hollow voice on the ballads... My next was In Utero, and I had to use far more time to swallow that one, still growing on me. The "best"? Noo need more time to listen:D

Kemosabi1 and KurtNevermind like this.
  7. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

In Utero is a better album but the the best tracks from both albums are all on Nevermind.

Soundslave likes this.
  8. KurtNevermind

In terms of lyrics for me the 2 albums are equal. Both contain many great songs with intelligent and very strong lyrics, having both power and impact. Kurt really was one of the best songwriters of all time!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  9. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Nevermind is better musically. In Utero is better lyrically.

By the way, "vs" threads are against forum rules.

10. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

my ranking

1. nevermind
    2. bleach
    3. utero

11. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Its a toss up, afaic. Frankly, when I listen to Nirvana, which is admittedly rare, I put Incesticide in the CD player.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  12. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Both great albums. no need to choose just one.

Vorlon and KurtNevermind like this.
  13. I’ve always felt that In Utero is a good but not great album. In fact, I think it’s their 3rd best overall with Bleach coming in at 2nd place.

jimmydean likes this.
  14. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I vote Nevermind, but In Utero is great also. It's the songs IMO. That said, the choice is which Nirvana album I'd wanna listen to on a given day. Today after choosing Nevermind, I'd rather listen In Utero actually. I'd probably rather hear Incesticede than Nevermind at the moment. Varying production qualities make Nirvana sound more diverse than the ever were, but I'm glad for it.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'll give the edge to In Utero but really the two albums are pretty different in style which makes it hard to pick one over the other. I love them both.

16. KurtNevermind

Yes, I was told, but only after I had already started this thread. I'm sorry for that. Still thanks for the information.

17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Nevermind is really a superb album, but I prefer In Utero. Its songs are a lot less overplayed for the most part.

18. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

This thought has been wondering my mind for some days. So I'll just post it before this thread is forgotten.

I think an album like "In Utero" could have been done again. For example by a band named Nirvana, if they had lasted.
    But an album like "Nevermind" couldn't be reproduced. Not even by a band named Nirvana.

Kurt, Nirvana, their youth, Vig, the 90s... An irrepitble alignment of events and personalities collided in that piece of sound.

In Utero is a great rock album. Nevermind was something more.

Old Rusty and buddachile like this.
  19. recoverydog

recoverydog Forum Resident

In Utero for sure.

20. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

I'm not a massive Nirvana fan, but I'd select Nevermind purely for Breed and Territorial Pissings. Saying that though I always found the 2nd half of Nevermind to be underwhelming compared to the first half.

ianuaditis likes this.
  21. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Ahhh, the poll is already closed. I vote for In Utero. Not so overplayed to death, and I think it shows a more mature/sophisticated version of the band. I wish we could have heard what would have come next.

22. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

I struggle to choose between the two of these as they're both great records from front-to-back. Nevermind has the hits, and In Utero just roars out of the speakers, but there's nothing about either record that I dislike. It's obviously sad what happened to Kurt, but if he'd lived I struggle to believe he would have been able to better these records.

mark renard likes this.
  23. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Nevermind gets my vote because melodies are so catchy and the content isn't quite as dark overall, but they're both pretty amazing.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  24. It's a pity that the original master tapes for "Nevermind" burned up in the fire (I have to wonder if "In Utero" faced the same fate).

J_D__ and Figure of Eight like this.
  25. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Steve is the man. I'm so glad the band got to work with him to make In Utero. For an album as uncompromising and raw as that to be released and sell over 15 million copies worldwide is very impressive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.