So there's absolutely no way to play a CD in a new car without a phone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Panda, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

We had a loaner car this weekend and all it had for music was two USB ports and of course, the radio (Sirius included).

I'm guessing that the only way I could play a cd (say, one of my mix cds) without me or the wife having an iPhone is to load it onto an ipod-like device. There's no way you can buy a portable cd player anymore with a usb cable attached, correct?

I'm guessing it will be new car time for us in the new 2 years or so..........

2. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I’m not sure if a USB drive could work

izeek and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Don't worry, by that time, you won't be using a thumb drive to store your music files anymore. By then, you will have to plug in your actual thumb...

...and your car dealership will still have nobody employed there with any details about how the sound system actually works...:realmad:

4. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

It's 2019. Tech has moved on. There's simply no need for that tech to be loaded into a car anymore. It was the same when cassette decks went away. Frankly, I don't even listen to the radio my car has. I just use the Bluetooth feature that picks up my phone. I'm fine with that. It's a car. It's not a critical listening space.

Ed

5. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I don't think an external CD drive would work on a car's USB port as it doesn't have another power to drive it. And even if it works, an external CD drive do not have built-in buffering for audio CDs and therefore, be prone to constant skipping while being bumped around, etc.

Your best bet is to get a USB thumb drive and stick a bunch of music files in it or if you have an Android-based phone, connect it via USB or Bluetooth.

6. couchguy

couchguy Forum Resident

I used to look forward to picking a CD for a commute into Toronto , nowadays I wouldnt be caught dead without the traffic report on the radio in this screwed up town

7. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I play flac files from a thumb drive

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I wouldn't want to be without a disc player at home but I don't miss playing CD's in the car. I have some 70 albums in FLAC on my tablet, much better than having to fiddle with discs in the car.

9. The Panda

I should have added that we don't have iPhones. Thanks for this input, folks

somnar, Boswell, Duke Fame and 2 others like this.
  10. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I was able to plug a 320Gb hard drive into the USB port in my car and to my surprise it worked.

I have to tell you, when I first got this car, with no CD player, I really missed it. Sometimes I still do, but honestly I've adapted to playing music from USB drives and hard drives in the car. It's a little more work to keep the drives updated and to load new stuff on them but my CDs are better off not being in the environment of the car.

p.s. I don't have a Bluetooth phone, so don't have that option in the car.

Drifter, MackKnife, SJP and 1 other person like this.
  11. mark_j

mark_j Forum Resident

I encountered this same situation with my wife's new car. There are a few options....
    1. Radio (satellite or terrestrial)
    2. Get a smart phone and a streaming subscription and listen via bluetooth (this is is a good option because you can create playlists, etc, in advance)
    3. Use a computer to convert some of your CDs to MP3 or FLAC files and store them on a USB stick.

I use a combination of #2 and #3. My wife uses #1. I surprisingly do not miss the CDs. Good luck.

12. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

18 accord, no CD player. Still kind of bugs me. Check out a local band, get the CD at show and cant play it on the way home.

Looked into portable, but this can only be done thru Bluetooth so I passed.

Good thing is that my car will play wav files thru USB so can still get CD quality. So that's good if you don't have a smart phone at least.

Although I just read an article suggesting thumb drives are on the way out, with some computers already not having USB ports.

13. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

my 2019 VW has a CD player in the glove box, it will hold one CD

14. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Go after-market. Problem solved.

15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Not even an AUX audio input?? My last rental had that.

16. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

My 2018 VW Atlas has the same, 1 disc player in the glove box. It's a bit of a pain to reach it from the driver's seat but I'm glad it's there. BTW, their sound system is excellent.

crp207 and GoodKitty like this.
  17. Nostaljack

Please tell me this isn’t another “I don’t want tech to move on” thread. I suspected it was and now it’s really looking like it now. Smartphones are a thing now. Everyone has them and those that don’t will be forced to conform as more time passes.

Ed

18. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

My current car -- a 2014 Mazda 6 -- does not read flac files. @This Heat I take it if your car is playing them natively, then car manufacturers have joined the parade finally.

People who say, "just listen to mp3s in the car" don't understand that my entire music library at home is ripped to hard drive using flac. I don't want to have to convert files from flac to mp3 for playing in the car.

19. Nostaljack

It’s a rental car. He can’t.

Ed

somnar likes this.
  20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

You can still get standalone music players that will hook up via USB and/or Bluetooth.

21. The Panda

You make some good points.
    I just have no need for the iphone. The wife may get one.
    I have no family, all my relatives are hers. Mine are deceased except for 93 year mom. Wife talks, I don't :D

Tim 2, Digital-G, dbsea and 6 others like this.
  22. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

The transmission in my '99 went a month ago, so suddenly I'm driving a '19. No CD player of course, but it's no problem to use a flash drive in the USB port.

JeffMo likes this.
  23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

One would think that would work for me, but...every one of my car-designated thumb drives work differently. I am not making this up...

First off, my Mini Cooper doesn't seem to recognize FLAC files, only mp3's. :wtf:
    Next, the last thumb drive I played in the Oppo, only recognizes about 6 regular tracks...and the rest are Christmas songs, from a folder named "playlist", in a folder named "Oppo Media"...whch I did not place there. :crazy:
    Another one has about 150 mp3's on it...but will only play the first 40 or so. :eek:
    And, another one has regular and Christmas files in it, with the Christmas ones intentionally-separated into a separate "Xmas" folder...but it still plays all the tracks, as if they're all in the same location, still alphabetically! :faint:

And, yes...nobody at the dealership can tell me ANYthing about the why, the what...or, even where they can find any answers. :doh: Nobody has trained anybody to know anything about one of the most-used components in their own product...except how to engage the SIRIUS/XM function. :rant:

24. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

It's possible for people to not carry a smart phone without being anti-tech.

TonyCzar, Ro-Go, beat_truck and 15 others like this.
  25. The Panda

Is this normal for anyone? Does the thumb drive have to have the files as mp3's? (Yes, I know you get more music on the drive that way. Just curious...........)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.