TV shows that have not been shown on TV in a long time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 8, 2019.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

Inspired by a thread over on another site, this is where you can list shows that haven’t been seen on TV in a long time. There’s a lot of these as well.

Rockford & Roll and 905 like this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

Sue Thomas F.B. Eye

Doc

Perfect Strangers

Dave's World

The John Larroquette Show

3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Henessey

The People's Choice

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

Strong Medicine

5. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Forum Resident

I've wondered why networks have rarely tapped into their soap opera archives. There was the Soapnet channel that eventually went off the air but it rarely played complete episodes of old soap episodes unless it was part of some special. With all the channels that are so specialized it seems like there would be enough interest in having a channel that would replay (in chronological order) all those old soap operas (at least the episodes that still exist). Considering how many episodes of these shows were made there must be massive vaults where they are stored. I think it would be a fascinating look back in time at the issues of the day but maybe there just wouldn't be enough of an audience for these shows. I know "Dark Shadows" did release a complete set of its 1966-71 shows (131 dvd's, 1225 episodes!) - I wonder if ended up turning a profit.

6. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

East Side/West Side (1963 - 1964) with George C. Scott

Randall DeBouvre likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It's About Time

8. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Were these recorded or were they live. And even if filmed, I can't say that the networks would have held onto them all.

9. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

The whole run had been previously released as 32 four-disc sets, so there was definitely a demand. Between 2007 and 2011 I made my way through all 32 sets and loved it.

10. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Re survival of old soap episodes, Dark Shadows is unusual in only having one episode missing. I believe Dan Curtis made a point of keeping it, which producers of other shows didn't.

11. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Hello Larry

12. Slackhurst Broadcasting

A show that's long overdue for release: Journey To The Unknown. (As it was made on film, it could probably be made to look spectacular on Blu-ray.)

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  13. HGN2001

For the DVDs (and possibly VHS releases), the first 200 episodes or so had to be assembled from ABC's on-air tapes. Billed as DARK SHADOWS: THE BEGINNINGS, it deals with the early goings-on at Collinwood pre-Barnabas. It was originally thought that no-one would be interested in seeing these, since Barnabas Collins was the main reason that most people watched DARK SHADOWS, but there's still a strong fanbase that loves all of the episodes.

The ABC tapes have the slate at the beginning, and the old network voice-over announcements over the credits to really "take you back."

I hadn't seen those early BEGINNINGS episodes since they aired on ABC all those years ago, and it was a lot of fun to watch them all over again on the giant full-series "coffin" DVDs.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  14. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Soaps definitely come to mind. Folks seem to forget what a huge market they were in years past and just how many shows and episodes were airing each week.

15. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

December Bride

which begat another rarely seen show...

Pete and Gladys.

16. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Forum Resident

Generally I think most soaps were recorded on videotape (not film) and like many shows back then the master tapes were often reused. I remember hearing that "All My Children" (which started in 1970) didn't start to archive their shows until the mid/late '70's (though some early episodes do exist).

seed_drill likes this.
  17. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Wendy and Me. George Burns and Connie Stevens. I've got several episodes that I taped on VHS in the '90s.

Ted Mooney likes this.
  18. HGN2001

19. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Trying to stick with shows that lasted longer at least 2-3 years:

Archie Bunker's Place
    Soap
    Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
    Simon & Simon
    The FBI (The original 60s version)
    Run for Your Life

20. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

troggy likes this.
  21. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

That's Cat.
    (Supposedly destroyed in a fire)

22. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

All of these except Mary Hartment have been on TV in the last few years. Either on MeTV, AntennaTV, or one of the other channels that repeat older shows.

I'd never seen Run For Your Life, and man - it's a weird show.

altaeria likes this.
  23. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

What's weird about it? It's pretty much a reworking of Huggins' big hit The Fugitive. Although more existential -- Paul Bryan is wandering b/c he chooses to, not b/c he has to.

I've only see one complete episode, the Montana Red Dog game set in the Swiss Alps (which Huggins later rewrote for a classic Alias Smith & Jones episode). It was entertaining.

I'd love to see some RFYLs, if only for the guest stars.

24. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Has this show been available in syndication? Did it just run one season or was it longer?

25. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Forum Resident

I remember watching reruns of "Marcus Welby" in the '80's - I don't think I've seen it on TV since.