Big artists with a 'sell-out' disco hit?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

My first thought was Pink Floyd -- "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2"

But nothing can top this:

Hardy Melville likes this.
  2. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Is it selling out to try different popular styles, if the song is really good?

I certainly don’t see it that way.

wes4usc, ispace, theMess and 4 others like this.
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Dolly Parton- Baby I'm Burnin' (RCA even released a revamped 12" disco mix single, pink vinyl even).
    Bill Anderson- I Can't Wait Any Longer. (also had a MCA 12" club single, Barry White meets Country, meets disco)

4. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

Not sure, they were doing disco as far back as '74 with "My Mama Said", but it was very much in the European style. With "Voulez Vous" there was a much stronger US influence.

theMess likes this.
  5. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

That people like Sexy I totally understand. Why they do? Not so much.

6. Hardy Melville

Possibly my favorite disco tune. Generally I did not like disco partly because of the typically unvarying 4/4 beat. I Feel Love went beyond that. It works.

The film American Hustle from a couple of years ago made great use of the song in the dance scene with a totally hot Amy Adams in it. Great combination.

LoveYourLife and blivet like this.
  7. Hardy Melville

The original version of Angel Eyes was vastly better. I had the lp with the original, and somehow lost it. So I got the cd and lo and behold they replaced the original with the disco version.

8. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Because it's a fun and catchy song? I love when people can't grasp someone is able to have a different opinion and like something someone else doesn't. I mean, I personally hate jam band music and it has zero appeal to me, but more power to someone who thinks a 41 minute version of Dark Star is as close to heaven as we'll get on earth.

Paul R and ibekeen like this.
  9. Hardy Melville

From American Hustle:

ARK likes this.
  10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Wiki has turned this into popular mythology, which has been accepted uncritically by certain Hofffmanites. Exactly what disco clubs and disco radio stations played this song back then?

Cachiva, ARK, Murph and 2 others like this.
  11. Say It Right

Far be for me to McCartney-ize a thread, but "Goodnight Tonight" sure was aimed in that direction.

frightwigwam, vince and Cachiva like this.
  12. Hardy Melville

To be clear I understand the point you are making. But I felt from their first album Blondie was particularly adept at doing a variety of genres and, within rock itself, a variety of different types. No other punk band at the time had their ability to do different stuff as much and as well as they did. I mean they even covered Goldfinger! It was who they were from the beginning.

You compare what they did on Parallel Lines, including Heart of Glass there, with the kind of career move Rod Stewart was in the middle of with D'ya Think I'm Sexy. For Rod, he essentially never went back to what he was doing (so very well, btw) with Jeff Beck, the Faces, and his early solo albums. Sexy was much more a part of an overall career change of direction, while Glass for Blondie did not signal anything other than one more genre in their mix. In fact they soon added some rap with Rapture and reggae with The Tide is High. But they kept doing great rockers like One Way or Another, too. Power ballads like Union City Blue.

Rod sold out. Blondie? Not so much.

negative1 and Jmac1979 like this.
  13. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

The Clash - Rock The Casbah.

14. Say It Right

Nobody, outside of RS magazine, took "Rapture" seriously as rap either.

Cachiva, ARK and Grant like this.
  15. Hardy Melville

That has nothing to do with my point.

16. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I’ve though of Hot Stuff more as funk than disco.
    I like Hot Stuff.

Miss You was disco.

Murph, Lownote30, Grant and 1 other person like this.
  17. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Rock acts attempting disco is like disco acts attempting rock. Fun, but not quite the full ticket.

ibekeen likes this.
  18. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

David Johansen- Swaheto Woman

Moshe likes this.
  19. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You know absolutely nothing about disco music do you?

theMess, Cachiva, ARK and 4 others like this.
  20. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Herbie Hancock had a few in the 70s and early 80s - not always strictly disco, some of them had more of a R&B feel: Motor mouth, Go for it, I thought it was you, Saturday night, Knee deep and Tell everybody.

frightwigwam and ispace like this.
  21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

So, why isn't Rod Stewart allowed to branch out into other musical styles by his fans? Is it because they cling to the former image and music they like? Is an artist supposed to conform to a certain music that makes the fans happy, or are they allowed to be real artists and do what guides their creativity?

22. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Ian Dury had a disco-ish hit with this song:

Co-writer and Blockheads keyboardist Chas Jankel sure knew how to influence Ian's sound with funk and disco. In face, as a non-disco artist he produced several minor classics in the genre under his own name. Ai no corrida, Glad to know you and Questionnaire come to mind.

anorak2 and bob60 like this.
  23. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Now this one actually COULD be called a sell-out:

ARK and dalem5467 like this.
  24. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I saw a 12" single copy of the Stones' Miss You the other day. The outer sleeve
    said Special Disco Version.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  25. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I got that, used to play it quite a bit, I think it's really just longer, not sure they added any disco elements.

steve phillips likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.