Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

A Beginning was always a G. Martin composition even when it was used on the Yellow Sub soundtrack. And it always will be since that is how it was published. If it was actually used as the intro to DPMB, then who knows whether the composer credit would have been Martin/Starkey or just Starkey..?

Something was always a G. Harrison composition, regardless of the arrangement.

For example, what is the composer credit on "A Day in the Life" (Orchestra Overdub) from Sgt Pepper?
    Or "Eleanor Rigby (strings only)" (Take 14) from Anthology 2?
    Are they credited to G. Martin or Lennon/McCartney?

pablo fanques, theMess, slane and 2 others like this.
  2. But they did it in their own way and more curated and not all the junk included.

Sure I love all the Get Back, Let It Be Twickenham tapes, but in reality there is so much garbage and bad oldies. But fun for historical purposes rather than a great listening experience.

3. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, the 50-year "use it or lose it" situation really tosses that aside. For the foreseeable future, the priority is to maintain copyright control over things that they know are "out there", not necessarily to release things that they're fairly sure that bootleggers have no access to.

Hence my anticipation of a huge end-of-the-year dump of the 1969 "Get Back" material, since they know so much of the Nagra stuff is already out of the vaults.

And since the requirement is only that it gets released (regardless of the quality), it'll probably be a huge batch of MP3 files...

- Kevin

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I think the Let It Be/Get Back 50th set will be a real hot button for fans. There are so many ways they can approach it. Original album comps by Glyn Johns? Complete rooftop? General outtakes like these other sets? A combination of both?

5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That doesn't really explain the complete absence of 1964-1966 outtakes.

6. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Anyway, the tracklist does not seem to be 100% confirmed. So let’s wait a bit, before beginning the complaining/fighting/etc.

One thing for sure: I think this evening the powers that be at Ovington Square are certainly quite upset, you can bet :hide::evil:

7. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Not to mention the Red & Blue albums, and the Hollywood Bowl... Oh, wait... those were Capitol... :shrug:

8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Most of the new outtakes on this set have NOT been released by bootleggers. I think folks are conflating things here. I'm not complaining about the contents, but more so the lack of surprises. If the two outtake CDs are full (they won't be) then I'll have no complaints. If they are both 55-60 minutes you're telling me there was NOTHING left in the vaults of interest? Can't possibly be true. In fact, it's NOT true. No rehearsals at all? No demos, other than Goodbye and Something? What happened to George's "dusty cupboards" demos tapes? Again, I'm not upset by the track listing, just wish there were a few surprises that's all. Ron

9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

There is not complaining or fighting. It's fans discussing. People who aren't as hardcore always take this the wrong way.

Sean Murdock and stevenson66g like this.
  10. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I don't think anyone had really thought through the strategy at that point in time... they've been much more sophisticated since the "Sgt. Pepper" SDE.

- Kevin

11. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

My first impression of the sessions and outtakes on cd 2 and 3 is that at least half are out on imports already.
    Can someone tell us which tracks are new.
    Thanks

12. JAMES A KELEMAN

JAMES A KELEMAN Forum Resident

Hahahahaha omg that made me die laughing!

marklamb and drum_cas like this.
  13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

If I could make a couple additions to the track list as it stands, I would include:

"Come and Get It"
    "Something" - extended w/organ
    "You Know My Name" - it belongs here, right?
    Busks for @brainwashed :)

Other than that, I think we have all the bases covered.

14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah, it was weird. 1963 was covered, then nothing, then Pepper.

theMess and jammincrowe like this.
  15. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Still trying to get to terms with the inclusion of 5:30 minutes of non beatle content instead of a bonafide outtake/early version of Something. Sure the orchestration is probably beautiful, but 5:30 of it without a single beatle on it.... Who on earth is going to listen to that and think “that was a worthwhile beatle outtake”?

Well some will probably enjoy that, it is just dissapointing to me. Truly underehelming inclusion.

BUT since i haven’t got many AR era bootlegged tracks most of it will be new to me so there will be much to enjoy too.

Noone will get precisely what they want.

WA: WMGGW first band version. AR Long Something. Can’t win them all

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  16. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

You have to do your research!! Take 7 of "Ballad" is listed as complete and 3:05 from the Recording Sheet. Same with OBS. Take 2 is 3:08 long and the instruments are listed on the Recording Sheet too. I haven't delved deep yet... probably won't until the set is in my hands.

theMess, Lewisboogie and supermd like this.
  17. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Personally I would find it more rewarding than the instrumental versions of Within You Without You or She's Leaving Home on Sgt. Pepper 50th, but I don't mind those either...

It's all a matter of taste.

And since they are not throwing the doors to the vault open anytime soon, I will take as much as I can get.

Isaac Azimuth and Kim Olesen like this.
  18. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

No more deluxe Beatles reissues?

Nothing that extreme

19. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Mazzy, Sorry for me nothing in the car sounds better than a nice CD stereo system and a freshly minted remixed/remastered Beatles anniversary CD or a Paul Archive set..lol

20. No, two different versions. One with more overdubs. Both with some different vocal and guitar parts than the released version, and both with Her Majesty in the middle.

marklamb likes this.
  21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes. Apple doesn't want to compete with Capitol Albums Volume III. Hence the questionable The U.S. Albums attempt to co-opt Capitol.

Not sure of the relation between the 2 sources of leaks. How it now makes it impossible. Unless there's a common connection. And just one source of the Apple leaks.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Sounds good, though. :) Not quite the same here with the organ, but you get the gist. I truly think, when we hear this outtake on the box set, we'll be struck by the beauty of it.

ronbow, theMess, Lewisboogie and 4 others like this.
  23. I HOPE so—as has been indicated, the posted track lists are not final and are evolving.

24. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

It has been said before, and will be said again, since 2013 Apple has not played the 50-year "use it or lose it" game and does not appear to be concerned about it.

Only A Northern Song, All You Need Is Love, Baby You're A Rich Man, Magical Mystery Tour [EP], Hey Bulldog, It's All Too Much, All Together Now, and everything from 1964 - 1966 have not been included on any kind of "50 year" collection and there's no indication that Apple Corps will start now...

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I bow down to your knowledge - always have. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.