Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Ruuber Soul and Revolver confirmed lol :laugh:

theMess, AllenR, Flippikat and 4 others like this.
  2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

5 seconds longer? Wow.

Lewisboogie, Gila and hallucalation like this.
  3. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Not having the original mix on the blu-ray is criminal. A HUGE, infuriating negative, if true.

Royce likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

They probably are overprotective, and they won't release anything controversial or anything that shows George or John in a bad light.

But in Olivia's case, she was not with George in the late 1960s, so she may be not be knowledgable enough. For better or worse, Yoko was there at the time, so she knows what John was thinking and actually doing. So Yoko probably has a better understanding of the situation. Olivia was convinced by Giles and/or whomever to not include "Only A Northern Song" on the Pepper box, supposedly because the song was rejected originally from the album. But if she really knew the history of the song, she would realize that it obviously belonged and would have insisted upon its inclusion.

5. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

a Double Fantasy 40th would be better. Stripped down demos and rough mixes of a stark, stripped down album (POB) is a waste of time. A Double Fantasy 40th has a lot more potential and hidden gems to be found. If studio performance footage is found and released on DVD/Blu-Ray, it will be a holy grail of a release!

theMess, Lewisboogie, BlueJay and 4 others like this.
  6. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I love that and have listened to that video plenty of times, one of Mr. Martins greatest contributions. Just wish that extended jam was included that was my "Revolution Take 20" for this set.

7. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

You Never Give Me Your Money [Take 36] has been previously booted in so so sound quality and is incredible! This is one of the tracks I was really clamoring for....really glad to see it included.

8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It's also a completely different take than the released version.

theMess and Lewisboogie like this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This isn't the official press release, merely *NOT FINAL* leaked contents. I'd wait until the official word, then start lamenting.

MrRom92 likes this.
  10. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

I wonder what will the story be this time for the new mix. With Pepper it was "mono was the real version", for White Album it was "different approach for every song" (but based on original stereo versions).

The last time they had original mix on Blu-ray of White Album there were complaints raised here that 1) it was too quiet for some reason and 2) it had weird super brief silences between the songs.

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I feel ya. As much as I wanted a stereo, proper release of Take 20, I thought the version we got was also very interesting, and I'm glad to have gotten something NEW.

theMess, Lewisboogie, Bern and 2 others like this.
  12. stevenson66g

stevenson66g Hand me my Revolver

That's why I see it as the last album

13. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

XC70...

Shawn, noahjld and DRM like this.
  14. multi.flacs.project

multi.flacs.project Forum Resident

An early mix of Take 30 (the master take) with extended outro / jam ending has been booted (more recently in excellent quality - "Pope go the Beatles"), but the upcoming set's Take 36 (the final take of the backing track) is unheard. Looks like we're getting the other bootlegged alternate early mix of Take 30 on the early medley edit, with organ crossfade instead of crickets. That should be a nice upgrade, but sadly it lacks the outro jam.

15. XC70

XC70 Forum Resident

Thanks. You can see this girl in "True Detective 2". I like her songs.

16. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

As long as said "cool tidbits" are released at some point in time. It is frustrating being an insider or knowing trusted people involved. I was one of those people and in some ways I'm glad you and Mike are carrying the torch now. Of course, it's beyond silly that Apple would be upset or that there will be fallout over a leaked track list. They take things TOO seriously. In this day and age, it's crazy that they still impose a 6=8 week gap between official announcement and project release. They should have their Sirius Channel all a-buzz by now. Have an in-house streaming site up and running with "cool little tidbits. IT'S TIME! Ron

17. gmcjj

gmcjj Forum Resident

Wow now I'm gonna have to get the vinyl and the deluxe versions. I should've bought the 4lp white album at launch and I'm not going to make that mistake again.

beatleroadie likes this.
  18. brainwashed

I'd only add... the word "may". We don't know if the track lists are final and/or evolving. Ron

19. brainwashed

No need for that. We all gain knowledge from one another!

20. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Amen

DRM likes this.
  21. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Yes, I'm inclined to say that what's maybe on this set reflects that there was less to select from than The White Album? Perhaps all these supposed items omitted are just fragments or just not coherent versions. We can't make the Abbey Road extras comparable to the last box set if they aren't there to start with. We're maybe being critical too early and should wait and see when it's released.

22. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I've curious if when we get to LiB do they even touch the "No Pakistani's" version of Get Back? Even though it was a tongue in cheek satire of a then current political figure/situation, I can totally see todays internet culture totally missing the point and stupid articles on sites like Buzzfeed like "Was Paul McCartney a racist?" Or do they get out ahead of it and point out it's satire of controversial politicians (how timely)

Lewisboogie likes this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

So the video you replied to is really Take 30?

Lewisboogie and marklamb like this.
  24. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Agreed. I'm sure they feel they rather give us something completely new, the booted stuff is there if you want to track it down and I respect that reasoning. I mean , in less then 3 years we've gotten about 8 discs of mostly unreleased outtakes so I can't complain, but I can't help if I'm greedy :D

25. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

Oh they’re not going to touch that version of “Get Back” . I would like to see it to show the evolution of the song albeit these lyrics were very briefly used and Paul moved to the proper set of lyrics very quickly afterwards but yeah that would be too controversial. Sadly we’re probably not going to get the “Get Off” jam aswell due to Paul jokingly saying “White Power” at certain points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.