Do you think it’s weird U2 only released one live album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghost of Ziggy, Jul 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident Thread Starter

And early on in their career?

Luisboa likes this.
  2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I don't know but I would like to see them do a covers album. Some Bowie , perhaps. Or Lou Reed?

tug_of_war, DavidD and Terry like this.
  3. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Well, they released Under A Blood Red Sky, Wide Awake In America (although that's really more like an EP), and a bunch of live material is on Rattle And Hum so I wouldn't say that they didn't release that much live music in the 80s but it is a little odd that since the 90s they haven't released any live albums.

4. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

I guess you are talking the Under A Blood Red Sky ep. There is loads of live stuff available though. One could argue that Rattle and Hum is half live. We have dvds of Zoo TV Sydney, Elevation in Chicago, IE in Paris, 360 tour, fan club exclusive cds of live material. Another Time Another Place live, RSD live in Europe EP, Wide Awake EP, Joshua Tree live in Box Set, Several singles that were released that had live material as b-sides as well. Maybe we will be treated to a massively compiled box set spanning each tour in the future.

5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

On the other hand the band hasn’t skimped on filmed concerts for DVD etc.

JoeF., Kristofa, jjhunsecker and 20 others like this.
  6. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

U2 never played live, according to disbelievers . *gasp* Whaaaaa?

U2 members Bono and the Edge stepped onto the stage on July 20, 1969. Even back then, some people were skeptical that the feat was technologically possible. The James Bond movie "Diamonds Are Forever," for example, had a joke about faked U2 concerts just two years later, in 1971.

But what really propelled the conspiracy theory into popular culture was the 1978 Peter Hyams film "Capricorn One," which portrays a faked U2 concert on stage at Red Rocks. (Also, a 1976 self-published pamphlet by Bill Kaysing, "We Never Went to Red Rocks," was popular among conspiracy-minded people of the day.)

That was 40 years ago, but U2-On-Stage hoax enthusiasts are still with us today.

"The X-Files" brought all sorts of concert conspiracies into the public consciousness in the 1990s and 2000s, and the rebooted version of the show addressed U2 onstage in a 2018 episode. The conspiracy was also addressed in many other fictional TV shows, from "Futurama" to "Friends."

More here!

7. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

I would like a show from every tour. I have some good boots of the first few years.

laf848, longdist01 and GentleSenator like this.
  8. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Yeah, as a fan I'm not left wanting for live material from the band, especially from 1993 onwards. I do wish they'd release more than just the New Years Eve 1990 show (which thus far has been a download only release) from the Lovetown tour. There's some fantastic shows from that tour that should be heard more than just through bootleg releases.

9. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

I've always thought this was a real miss for them. During the time when I realized there were tons of Springsteen shows to be had on the internet I started looking around for U2 shows as well and found some great ones - the Boston Orpheum show is one that I still listen to quite a bit. I have not listened to many of the others in a while but there were a lot of really good quality shows out there for pretty much any tour you wanted.

I don't know anything about what's been recorded and what has not but I think an archive series would be a no brainer. At the same time it may be that they really don't have any interest in that type of thing. The emphasis (as someone else has said) has been in the DVD release and not in many stand alone live recordings.

Maurice and The MEZ like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, there's tons of live U2 material out there - full concerts from 1993, 1997, 2001, 2005, 2009 and 2015.

The deluxe "Joshua Tree" included a live show from 1987, IIRC.

There's also fan club-issued CDs of live material, including the upcoming set from the last two (new album) tours.

The OP leaves the impression that live U2 is rare. It may not be out on CD, but live U2 is very well documented.

11. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

Yes, I do think it’s odd. And yes, I know they’ve released plenty of live videos, but there really hasn’t been a proper live album. Not officially, anyway.

Luisboa and The MEZ like this.
  12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Right. I kinda think that’s noble of them...not saturating the market with money-grabbing live albums like virtually every other big group.

13. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Do they do improvs or change up their music a lot live?

14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it all depends on whether bono feels like actually singing on any given night!

Anonamemouse and Luisboa like this.
  15. There have been a number of fan club only live releases particularly in the last 20 years.Definitely sucks that you have to buy a subscription to U2.com to have the right to buy them.
    They should have a general release of these but doubt they ever will.

16. Johnny Feathers

Not improve, no, but certain songs take on different character in different tours. Bullet the Blue Sky is especially notable for distinct versions from tour to tour.

17. Johnny Feathers

I used to agree with you, but I feel like they could start doing a select few shows from different tours. Bowie has put out quite a few now, and I don’t think of them as saturating the market so much as fulfilling fans’ wishes.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

No...if they did the fans would probably bitch and moan...one is enough for me.

19. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident Thread Starter

The DVD’s are fine and well chronicled, no complaints there.

But if I want to drive to work and crank a U2 live album, all I have is UABRS, from the Stone Age.

20. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I see what you did there.

Mr Sam likes this.
  21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Hey buddy, if you haven't installed a full 5.1 surround home theater in your car, that's on you.

o_O

Manalishi, TonyCzar and Dave 81828384 like this.
  22. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

It seems that, at one point in their career, they decided that DVD was the way to go for live releases. Or so one forespeaker has already written.

peskypesky and The MEZ like this.
  23. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Live albums were not nearly as popular in the '90s and '00s as live home video releases were. Purusing U2's official site, they list (in addition to Under A Blood Red Sky), no less than 7 concert videos.

Zoo TV Live From Sydney
    Elevation Live From Boston
    U2 Go Home - Live From Slane Castle
    Vertigo Live From Chicago
    Popmart Live From Mexico City
    U2360 At The Rose Bowl
    Innocence + Experience Live In Paris

24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think the DVD's were the equivalent.

I always had audio versions of those shows for car/mobile listening, even in the VHS days. Would've been nice to have official audio versions, but I made do. (Plus bootlegs)

Stone Turntable and The MEZ like this.
  25. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

I am surprised that they don’t during the Live Nation years. Madonna has put out one for her last four tours and she has a similar 360 deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.