Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I don't, but I am sure that there is a list in some other thread or threads concerning the Pepper and White Album boxes.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  2. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Here's a link to a post from member "Clark V Kaufman" in 2018 where he made a list of where the Anthology Sgt. Pepper's outtakes would go if you combined them with the Pepper Box outtakes: Any 'Pepper' outtakes on 'Anthology 2' that aren't on the 'Pepper' box?

Here's a link to a post from member "crossroads69" in 2018 where he made a list of where the Anthology White Album outtakes would go if you combined them with the WA Box outtakes:50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Excellent detective work. Thank you!

4. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

^This. The 5.1 mix is the main draw for me this time. The original stereo is already fantastic, so I will gladly hear the stereo remix as an (unnecessary this time) alternative. If I like it more, great. If I don't, no big deal. But I have great hopes for the surround mix, being such a well recorded album, and on 8 tracks!

The Rubber Soul and Revolver box sets can be something really special, since those sessions were sadly under represented in Anthology, IMO. Specially Rubber Soul, which happens to be my favourite Beatles album :realmad:. 2019 and we still have to content ourselves with two awful stereo mixes and just three outtakes, one of them being "12 Bar Original" :sigh:

5. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Reviewing Something 2019 on youtube:

Giles seems to like adding stereo effects when he can, and he does it here on the last part of the drum roll during the "you're asking me will my love grow" sequence. I think it's a hi-hat part, now given a very short stereo echo so our ears hear it panned both left and right. Why do this? It's a bit like The Great And Powerful Oz pulling levers that make flames appear. Sorta like the panning added to Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds opening. Cheap thrills age quickly.

Paul's bass is too loud, too defined. It immediately commands attention, and it shouldn't.

The strings and organ ( I mistakenly said moog in another thread) are too loud as well- jarring, actually.

The beauty of the original mix was its gentleness and perfect integration. With that 'chorus' crescendo breaking out with emotion and clarity.

Now it feels like a slide show, introducing each new element as a sort of guest star for which we need to drop everything and pay attention.

The chorus really booms, probably because the rest of the track is kinda loud and there is nowhere left to go. I truly hope this because of youtube compression that won't be on the real thing.

This isn't a sonic cleanup, it's a re-interpretation. I really don't know if I like it or not yet. It's surely different, though.

6. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Thanks Arnie, you're welcome! I trust you're behaving yourself! :)

Carl Harrison and Arnold Grove like this.
  7. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

The more I think about it, from what I've heard of the "Come Together" remix, it sounds like it's the perfect solution to the problems some of us discussed some time ago (not enough elements to center everything, etc.).

The bass is a lead instrument, playing the main riff, on the verses. It's centered, so that's an improvement, for this reason. The toms and hi-hat are mixed right during this section, off-set by Lennon's percussive sounds, centered. This lets the bass shine with, theoretically, the toms and the hi-hat placed off-center as they would be in a stereo-drums situation.

On the chorus, outro, and solo sections, the snare hits hard, and the cymbals splash, center, where you want them for maximum impact. Coincidentally, the bass is no longer playing the riff in these sections, so it's not competing for space in the same way as in the verses. Also, the drums being centered here means that the keyboard won't be sitting on top of the drums, which is not a good idea, I don't think.

I absolutely adore this track, and can't wait to hear it improved in this way. The snippet with the snare centered really hits the spot (in the headphones) for me. It never occurred to me that this would be the way to mix it. It's like a puzzle was solved, and yeah, great !

Jayseph, 2141, Carl Harrison and 7 others like this.
  8. A well respected man

I'm not listening to the tracks until I have the set at home, so I can't give an opinion yet. But just in case, make sure you listen to the versions just uploaded in The Beatles channel. According to other users, they sound better than the VEVO videos:

audiotom and vince like this.
  9. Shaddam IV

Absolutely everything you cast in the worst possible light here is what I, and probably many, love about these remixes. It's kind of entertaining to watch you struggle with them so thoroughly, three years running, because Giles' MO is so clearly not for you :)

10. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

They are the same.

11. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

Man that "strings-only" Something is really... something :)

It totally stands on its own, reminds me a bit of the work of some Romantic British composer of the past century, like Elgar...

Amazing.

Hats off, Sir George Martin...
    :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

2141, supermd, Bevok and 12 others like this.
  12. A well respected man

As I said, I'm not listening to them, but it appears not everybody agrees:

13. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Yeah, the Come Together remix should be very interesting! I had kinda given up on it after Giles mixed it quite similar to the original on both Love and 1+ but glad to see a new approach this time.

Whether it’s works or not, we’ll soon know but at least now we got one more option!

14. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

I have both open in an audio editor; they are clearly the same. People spout a lot of nonsense, particularly on YouTube. YouTube's audio compression is also very good (Opus ~140 kb/s), so the final product will not sound appreciably different.

Gila likes this.
  15. Shaddam IV

Yes, I would have been quite deflated had we got a 1+ retread !

crossroads69 and bherbert like this.
  16. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

It certainly does. Very excited about that one!

crossroads69 likes this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Regarding the brief snippets of 50th AR is this Giles best work in comparison with his 50th anniversary pepper/white album or is his Love mash up still his best accomplishment so far?

18. Shaddam IV

I should explain, these are the two elements that don't sound "muffled" in the outro, they're relatively "bright", and to have them both mixed hard right and on top of each other, makes for an off-balance overall picture IMO.

19. Shaddam IV

Probably the highest quality source for these promos would be Spotify, at 320 kbps.

delmonaco and Lownote30 like this.
  20. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Everyone has their own opinions and you know what they say about opinions....Personally I love anything having to do with a new mix of something my ears have heard for years. Of course the original mix was what was intended by the Beatles and George Martin. However a different mix of sounds that were there that were never brought to the front before takes nothing away from the original mix. It is simply a different perspective! If you do’t like the current samples available don’t buy the anniversary edition! Both you and your opinion will probably be quite happy!

Bevok likes this.
  21. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

It's SUPPOSE to be a re-interpretation. A remaster is intended as a "sonic cleanup, if you will. A remix is the ability to further define, change, boost the original sounds from the master and pre-bounced tapes to create something altogether new. It's not necessarily suppose to be better than original, but (if done properly) a nice -sounding alternative to the original. Ron

Jayseph, 2141, Ben Adams and 18 others like this.
  22. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Donkey Road

[​IMG]

Can the donkey be heard on a Wings album ?

[​IMG]

23. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Tidal Hi-Fi should be very fine too.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  24. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I love the LOVE album myself but the 2017 Sgt. Pepper on vinyl is the best of the remixes so far to my ears

2141, Shaddam IV and alexpop like this.
  25. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Amazing. Thank you very much.

Royce likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.