Beatles’ Carnival of Light: Exaggerated myth of greatness?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gill-man, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident Thread Starter

I mean, the way it’s talked about and longed for by fans, you’d think there was another Hey Jude in the vaults! Yet out of everyone who’s heard it, none of them really have anything great to say about it. None of them are claiming that it’s some unheard Beatles masterpiece. They’ve said the opposite. So why can’t we accept that? Why are we treating it like some holy relic? Why are we exaggerating its greatness and importance?

marmalade166, Sean, fer2 and 5 others like this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Who’s we? I’m sure not.

Rojo, AlienRendel, Pawnmower and 14 others like this.
  3. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

have a feeling it's someting like liverpool sound collage; how many people listened to that more than a handful of times?

4. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I don’t know anyone who thinks or expects it to be great. No one has claimed that. Is it important? An avant garde Music piece by Paul during the Sgt Pepper era, by the most influential and famous band of the 20th century? Yes I would say it’s important, as almost any session scrap by the Beatles is important as a piece of their history and the insight it may give us into their working methods and their aesthetic.

5. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I think most would just like to hear it, not sure many are expecting greatness, might be interesting.

6. BOZMAN

BOZMAN Forum Resident

The bottom line is that if the Beatles camp thought it was worth releasing, it would have been out by now.

7. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

It is an unreleased masterpiece! It may be the holy grail that the Crusaders were looking for.
    I've petitioned the pope to exert his influence on Apple Corps to force them to release this holy relic by century's end.
    The Vatican did name 'Revolver' the greatest album of all-time! They must have an 'in' with the Apple powers that be.

Mark Lewisohn wrote in The Beatles Sessions book that when he heard this song for the first time, he cried
    because he realized this song was the foundation of the new millennium's direction and that the world would
    become a different place once it heard this masterpiece.*
    BARCELONA!!!!!!!!

*From the book 'Fictitious Beatles quotes attributed to Mark Lewisohn' by Steve Gannon,
    St. Esmeralda Press, 1993.
    :--)

8. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Why are you exaggerating?

9. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I just want to hear it because I've heard about it for so long. I don't expect it to be great; in fact, I'm pretty sure that it's far from great, as the few people that have heard it have said as much. And it probably isn't that important either, nor will it reveal something about The Beatles that we never knew before. It's more for curiosity's sake.

10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Don't care if I hear it or not..and I'm a Beatles fan.

Rojo, showtaper, fer2 and 5 others like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

What is humorous is that a couple of hundred club patrons actually heard "Carnival Of Light" back in 1967 and no one knew. Maybe Mark Lewisohn has finally found and interviewed some of these patrons. Will any one of them say it was "great"?

12. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Show examples of people who claim it's a lost masterpiece. For best effect, do so in one of the five dozen other threads about "Carnival of Light."

13. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Because he's trying to get as many replies as possible to his latest thread?

theMess, moops, Synthfreek and 4 others like this.
  14. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Doubtful if anyone there at the time listened to the track with both ears.

15. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

They listened with their entire bodies, man.

16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Another “hey Jude”? Nah, it can’t be THAT bad.

17. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I personally love the hybrid Rev Take 20, and would considerate a great Beatle alt-take/outtake-combining a mainstream song with an avante-garde ending. There was structure and composition. A pure sound collage-not sure what my take would be-just would like to at least hear it once. Doesn't make it great.

Lewisboogie and akmonday like this.
  18. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I've never heard anyone refer to it as great. The attraction to it lies within its mystery. That's all.

19. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Well, could be a boring track, but the legend of this track makes me curious to listen this at least once in my life

20. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

They (the fabs) may be smart by leaving it as a mystery. It gets a lot of interest because virtually no one has heard it. Release it and have deemed crap seems like a bad idea.

MitchLT and stevenson66g like this.
  21. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

love the song title!

it would make a great band name

never heard the tune so …….

22. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Slightly off topic but....
    Off the top of your heads can anyone instantly recall that 12 bar whatchacallit from 'Anthology 2' ?
    Totally forgettable. This would be too.

Abbagold, bizmopeen and bpmd1962 like this.
  23. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I'm currently reading this.
    From the description of it, it's is far from being a "masterpiece".

24. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

The version on bootleg is worse, it's longer.

25. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Fairly certain that Carnival of Light will be unlistenable and will be heard by very few people more than twice.

I have never heard anyone with a different view. Absolute hogwash and click-bait to pretend that any of us think it will be a musical masterpiece.

However, the fact that not even a second of it has been heard - is really a masterpiece of secrets keeping. Even governments fail to keep documents out of prying eyes. The amount of security protecting Carnival of Light is stunning, and again a masterpiece of protective custody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.