Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shmuckler

shmuckler Forum Resident

Wait, what?

2. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

My understanding is that they didn't miss it, but that the reels that contain this version are missing, along with some trident reels I think...

FJFP, vonwegen, autumn daze and 6 others like this.
  3. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

I have anthology volume 3 and will be purchasing the other 2 volumes. Watched a few of the DVDs from the aforementioned set back when Netflix mailed DVDs and enjoyed that. Ill pass on this set for now. Might buy the 2cd or 3cd set down the road.

4. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Ahem...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

And 10 CD + 1 Bluray.... :rolleyes:

Jimmy Cooper likes this.
  6. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Ahen..
    [​IMG]
    :D

andrewskyDE, vonwegen, boggs and 6 others like this.
  7. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I’m not sure about this process. Giles and others listen to the tapes. Suggest what tracks are included. The four major players approve or not. Sure, any of them might suggest other tracks, but I’d be surprised if additional tracks come up at that point.

For example, on the Sgt. Pepper set, the early mono mix of “Lucy” was an outlier that was discovered and included. Then the “Penny Lane” promo was added to the end. By whom, we don’t know but I think the best guess is Giles. And RM 10 is very close to the promo mix and available. Or re-create the mix. It was a remix project, after all.

At either end of it, Giles was part of a process that gave us this bizarre inclusion on an otherwise fantastic box set.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

It was an awful choice. Whoever made it needs to be forced to listen to 12-Bar Original for a couple days straight.

9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I'm pretty sure Netflix still does the DVD/Bluray mailings program...

Why 2.7 million Americans still get Netflix DVDs in the mail - CNN

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

they do indeed. i'm a member. it's the only way to see 95% of the movies in existence.

11. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I'm stunned actually how CNN can casually mention that only 6,000 titles are available for streaming, and not understand how shocking that is.

Those 2.7 million subscribers help keep the rich history of film alive. Hardly any silent films are available to stream. Ditto the black and white classics of the 30's-50's. And of course piles and piles of important independent films, like those of Ingmar Bergman.

And, by the way, streaming visual quality leaves much to be desired. Nothing like seeing compression artifacts on my big LCD screen.

I'm a subscriber and will remain till the last!

There is a tremendous oppty though for someone to step in and make these films available via stream. Maybe a different cost model is needed. Friends of film would pay it, though.

vivresavie likes this.
  12. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

What makes you think some Trident reels are missing? I certainly could be mistaken but I find it very unlikely that the tape containing the first electric While My Guitar is missing. Far more likely it was overlooked.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

Help!
    Does anyone has any details about this picture? and if possible to have it in better quality?
    Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

omikron, maandrade, vonwegen and 6 others like this.
  14. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Picture is from Facebook, saw it there a week or so ago. NOT one of Jeff Levy's, but somebody else's.

15. Carl Harrison

Carl Harrison Forum Resident

Any specific reasons why? Elaborate a bit.

nasa09 likes this.
  16. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Oh! Darling could have been even better had John and Paul ALTERNATED lead vocals. John on the first two verses, Paul on the bridge, then Paul on the third verse and John on the second bridge (or something like that - maybe John on all the verses and Paul on the bridges). Would have been a lot of fun!

Lewisboogie, andrewskyDE and Bern like this.
  17. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

In some peoples eyes there has to be some kind of evil thinking behind everything that is not to their liking. Evil-Apple. Evil-Giles. Evil-Yoko. Evil-Paul or George or whoever.....

That was the last i heard from my source. There were no recording reels that matched the date for the session. So these must have gone awol since Lewisohn heard them.

BUT for all i know they could have been found at a later time in the process for auditioning WA outtakes, but deemed too bad to release. Remember George brought in Clapton to make the others try harder!

18. Carl Harrison

Just add whatever newly released session/demo tracks to the purple chick playlists. Purple chick is pretty complete and also includes the Anthology CD and DVD mixes.

Pawnmower and Lewisboogie like this.
  19. Carl Harrison

I don’t hear a stereo effect on the hi-hat. Sounds more like the hat is slightly panned right and there are hand claps in both left and right channels. So that may be what you’re hearing as a “stereo effect”

Shaddam IV likes this.
  20. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

This is a Joe Loss thread, isn't it? ;)

[​IMG]

21. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Thats possible. Whatever it is, it's not on the original mix. There are other things I'm hearing during that part also I'm curious about, but I don't want to take the youtube version too seriously.

22. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

So thats why it wasn’t on the 50th set! :righton:

marmalade166 likes this.
  23. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Is that an alternate color shot of this?:
    [​IMG]

omikron likes this.
  24. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Correct, the hi-hat is mixed right (only). Whether it was an overdub, or de-mixed from the drum track, might be an open question!

I think Giles said in a recent interview that Paul plays the hi-hat on that part because Ringo wasn't able to. This would seem to suggest they were recorded at the same time. Or maybe Giles isn't explaining it well. Was the hi-hat in this section on one track with the drums? Or on a separate track?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What is it about Manchester square and laughing. :D

NumberEight and Yayastone like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.