Stephen Stills - The Last Waltz

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cass, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cass

cass Forum Resident Thread Starter

Stephen Stills turned up late and only took place in the jam session at the end, but was he actually asked/planned to perform a song or two with the band during the main show?

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

No, I don’t think he was planned to be in the main show. I wonder what he thought of jamming with Neil Young, especially as the “eat a peach” incident was probably still fresh in his mind

cass and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. cass

They walk of arm in arm at around 4 hours 10 mins in, to the applause of the crowd

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  4. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

I think Stephen wasn't welcome around some music circles in mid 70s because of his wild habits around that time...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. cass

On this rolling stones website it says "June 16, 1972: Keith Richards and Stephen Stills draw knives in an argument in a hotel suite. "
    about half way down the page: Chronicle 1972
    so i can imagine him not being welcome
    Anyone know what happened that night?

6. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

All of the musicians that played on The Last Waltz had a direct connection with The Band.
    I'm not aware that Stephen Stills had such a direct connection & hence wouldn't have been invited.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual.

I think some connections were more direct than others. Levon Helm certainly seemed puzzled as to why Neil Diamond would be connected to the band, beyond having a record produced by Robbie Robertson. Also not clear what the link with Ringo Starr and Ron Wood was.

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah, everyone else was a saint...

supermd, dylankicks, Dog Ear and 7 others like this.
  9. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I doubt it was due to his "wild habits," and was more likely so because Stills was an A #1 A-hole (I worked on a show with him once).

His reputation had preceded him (i.e. I was told in advance what a jerk, to put it lightly, he would likely be)... he more than lived up to the warning.

Re the Stills / Keith Richards near knife fight mentioned above, I think I can guess who instigated the situation.

10. cass

hasn't keith also admitted to pulling a knife on donald trump, so you never know keiths got form on this

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Diamond came out of the "Brill Building" stable of songwriters in New York, some of the classic 1960s pop songs.

Robbie explains in the Last Waltz interviews that Diamond was there to represent that entire genre of song that he and the other guys in the band grew up listening to in the early 60s.

His inclusion was part of The Band's attempt to showcase a wide spectrum of music at the concert regardless of current "street cred" or anything like that. They/Robbie were picking their favorites from a wide variety to show The Band's versatility and love for all music.

I've never heard that Stills was planned to have a guest spot in the actual show...I think he, along with Ron Wood, Ringo and probably others, were invited to the concert as guests but also told "me may try to jam at the end if you wanna get up and play." That type of thing.

Matthew Tate and 905 like this.
  12. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Levon, Robbie, Rick & Garth played on Ringo's "Sunshine Life for Me" in 1973:

13. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I saw Stephen Stills in concert around the late 90’s where he and his band was performing a blues number. Stills played a great solo which was followed by his second guitarist who ripped it up with a Claptonesque solo. At the end of the song Stills said to the other guitarist that his playing was good but don’t get too good or you’ll be heading down the road. We were right in front of the stage and trust me when I say that Stills was serious.

The MEZ, GoodKitty and john lennonist like this.
  14. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Even the most talented musicians have their insecurities and hangups. Combine those with substances and you have a recipe for disaster.

I guess if you’re not considered a peer or close to equal you’re going to be treated like an inferior. Never meet your heroes sadly is often true.

Fullbug likes this.
  15. themarkster

themarkster Forum Resident

It was Stills' stage that was used for the Concert for Bangladesh. I wouldn't be surprised if it was his reputation that prevented him from being invited..

john lennonist likes this.
  16. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

With all that being said, it's fair to say that, at least according to interviews and articles, Stills mellowed a lot in the past 20 years and he's now considered the (only) gentleman of CSNY...

17. FriendlyRanger

FriendlyRanger Forum Resident

Ron Wood played alongside The Band on Clapton's No Reason To Cry album recorded at Shangri-La.

He played lead guitar on the first track on Rick Danko, also recorded at Shangri-La.

18. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

And both are damn good albums.

19. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Ringo and Ronnie, like Stills, were not featured in the main part of the show, just in the jam at the end. I don’t think it had anything to do with Stills’ behavior. He just was not Canadian or part of the Band’s history/influences/friends.

bonus and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.