Going to Japan this week...

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by downer, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downer

downer Senior Member Thread Starter

Just had a Big-0 birthday, and part of that has been this long-planned trip to Japan - 10 days starting tomorrow.

Tokyo for a few days, then to Osaka - Hiroshima - Kyoto - Hammamatsu - Tokyo- 10 days in all

I was hoping to spend about $2k AU on CDs/DVD/Blu-ray, but a lot of very unexpected expenses ($7k on car repairs, another $2k on medical, plus other sundry costs) has eaten severely into my available funds...

So, looking for recommendations for good second-hand shops along the way - not interested in vinyl, just lots of silver discs and mini-lp covers :)

Any and all advice greatly appreciated, I'll be able to access the forums regularly to check in

Thanks in advance

downer

2. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Book Off is the biggest used book, DVD, CD chain store in Japan. There are many Book Off locations in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and other cities. The shops will have a used western CD section though not huge and only organized alphabetically. You can find some decent stuff for 50 to 100 Yen. Yes even REM's Monster!

3. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Disk Union.
    Recofan Shibuya.

Also, be aware that in Japan artists are usually listed alphabetically by the artist's first name, so for example JIMI HENDRIX will be in the 'J' section, not the 'H' section.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  4. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

There is a very entertaining and extensive thread somewhere on SHF a few years ago. I was reading it when in Tokyo 2 years ago. Great recommendations - though things change! My recommendations - Disc Union in Shinjiku, Tokyo - there are a few stores with different specialties, some exclusively vinyl, some exclusively cd/dvd etc. Shibuya is also supposed to be good but I spent my allowance and a lot more just in Shinjiku area. There are small cd shops in every area - though they are often not easy to track down. Good luck.
    The world’s best record shops #006: Disk Union Shibuya, Tokyo - The Vinyl Factory

nosliw, downer and razerx like this.
  5. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I've stayed at a hotel around the Shinjuku region in Tokyo and Disk Union is awesome for both CDs and LPs alike. Be sure to bring physical cash as quite a few shops in Japan generally do not accept credit cards except for a few franchises.

6. Buy all the CDs you want and can find, if you are not likely to return. You will need a lot of storage to bring them back.

downer likes this.
  7. downer

downer Senior Member Thread Starter

Found some bargains so far at 2 Disk Unions and Tower has taken the lion’s share in new purchases...

OptimisticGoat and SimonSaysCake like this.
  8. TheMan84

TheMan84 Active Member

Make sure to eat a lot of ramen in there!

Simon A likes this.
  9. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Don't eat, just buy records.

10. TheMan84

TheMan84 Active Member

...and a lot of wierd stuff available only in there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.