Musicians who desperately need a comprehensive box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crestfallen, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I’m curious if there were ever a comprehensive Mazzy Star collection (maybe not a full on box, but a thorough retrospective), if it would include Opal as that band is pretty much what morphed into MS.

GrayMouser and youngchoulin like this.
  2. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

It came to me in another thread today. "Sonny Boy Williamson II". I own a lot of his material but it took a long time to collect as it's scattered all over the place. There isn't even a box set of all his work with Chess Records. There was a Charly records "Sonny Boy Williamson, the Chess Years" box set but there was something wrong with the permission they got and it was withdrawn. Sonny Boy was recorded a lot in his final years in Europe. It would be a true labour of love to put a comprehensive box set together and maybe the time when it was at all possible to justify the expense has gone. He's an artist that's stayed with me since my teenage years. A one off, a true great.

3. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

The White Stripes? It would be easy, and obvious. Studio albums plus outtakes/singles...throw in a couple of well-recorded live shows...

Jackie McLean on Blue Note. As leader and sideman...would run to 15-20 cds.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - The Atlantic Years. There were plans for this at one point...

4. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

5. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

George Harrison

Eric Burdon

6. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

A few years ago, Bob Stanley of Saint Etienne compiled a wonderful two-disc compilation of Campbell's Capitol years, for EMI's UK division (though I found a copy over here easily). Not as comprehensive as a box would be, but Stanley picked excellent, relatively overlooked album tracks and b-sides along with the hit singles, and "Guess I'm Dumb" is on it, too. The set is as good as Stanley's compilations for Ace Records.

Mylene likes this.
  7. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Lou Donaldson - steadily working since 1950 and still going. Played with T. Monk, on the original of Milt Jackson's "Bag's Groove", with Clifford Brown, Art Blakey, Horace Silver, Jimmy Smith, Grant Green, Lonnie Smith, others before being a mainstay of Blue Note as a leader (there's still some unissued from the '70s), also recorded for Chess and others. A chronology would be interesting, but something more conceptual might be more so.

8. kevimetal

kevimetal Forum Resident

Two of my 4AD faves come to mind:

Wolfgang Press
    Xmal Deutschland

Pavol Stromcek and thefxc like this.
  9. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Good idea. I forgot that Seven is now out of print. I'm glad that I have a CD.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I like the REM suggestion, but where are they going to get those original tapes from?

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I can dig:
    Glen
    Bee Gees

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

what happened to them?

ARK likes this.
  13. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Threads been done before. But.
    Top of the list has to be
    Otis Rush
    And then
    Van Morrison

Steve Earle ranks.
    Like the Renaissance rec. Would add Strawbs....
    A good comprehensive Tom Waits.

And finally.. a good Rolling Stones 60s set with good stereo versions of definitive tracks, backing tracks, authoritative booklet, color pix....
    (And leave the gorilla and tongue at home.... )

Icethorn and munjeet like this.
  14. Cookie!

Cookie! Forum Resident

Brian Wilson solo. A lot of unreleased material (e.g. Sweet Insanity, Andy Paley sessions) could be intertwined with album selections and other previously released tracks.

15. trebori

trebori Forum Resident

Gene Pitney - I'm genuinely surprised there hasn't been one. He was with one label for most of his career (Musicor). He had a large number hits. I haven't heard any of his albums but I'm willing to bet there are some deep cuts that would be worth anthologizing. He wrote several hits for others. It would be interesting to hear if there were any demos. He even had a big late hit (1989?) in the U.K. with Marc Almond that was a revamp of a previous hit (Something' Got A Hold Of My Heart).

Bear Family would do this right. I'm sure there would be quite a few fans who'd be interested. But what's the problem?

Dave112, hugh . g. and Rick Bartlett like this.
  16. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Sure, we’ve done this before... but it’s still a fun game.

Seconding the already mentioned Ween - early years, 4-track stuff, demos, outtakes, etc... Even if live material was excluded, this would be a huge set, potentially.

Also seconding the already-mentioned Spacemen 3. Not sure how much exists that isn’t already issued (band-sanctioned or otherwise) though.

Beck. Especially the early cassette releases. B-sides, collaborations, remixes. Another potentially massive set that has enormous potential. Well-mastered, please. I fear that the masters and/or session recordings from the DGC era may’ve been lost in the Universal fire. It’s not inconceivable that the masters for the earlier indie-label stuff were there also. Just speculation, of course, and I hope I’m wrong.

Spiritualized - there is a ton of high-quality material. Just the collected B-sides, demos, stray officially-released live recordings & various remixes could make a huge (and amazing) set. Not sure that Spaceman is too interested in doing it though, and there are multiple record labels that would have to cooperate.

Even more unlikely to happen: The Yardbirds. Include whatever unreleased material was in Giorgio Gomelsky’s rumored tape stash, take all the pre 1966 material from best existing sources, finally release Roger The Engineer with a nice mastering, and include the Jimmy Page era also. Too much to ask? Yep. One of the most influential bands, but one that’s always been given less-than-ideal presentation.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    youngchoulin likes this.
  17. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Queensryche, but only the original band. I guess they aren’t popular enough though.

Lee Davis likes this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

19. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

American Music Club. So much of their catalogue is languishing in the out-of-print file; the unavailability of Engine, United Kingdom and California is a gaping hole in the music world.

I believe drummer Tom Mallon owned the copyright to the first four AMC albums, but he died in 2014, so now who knows...

LoveandTheft likes this.
  20. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

yes!! Amazing how little known he is given what an amazing talent he was.....

21. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

John Cale

22. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Well comprehensive doesn't have to mean complete. A good overview box of the LPDs career would be great, though I've been making my way through some Spotify playlists and it's holding me over.

23. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

The various permutations of P-Funk

24. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Harpers Bizarre. Sorely overlooked brilliant sunshine pop.

25. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

and Bob too