The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

The early Joan Baez warbling Jerry vocals don't do much for me, although the playing is intense.

2. sami

sami Mono still rules

No doubt.

WaterLemon and Archtop like this.
  3. sami

sami Mono still rules

Totally agree! During this intense solo I'm thinking, "c'mon Charlie, the guitar!"

bzfgt likes this.
  4. sami

sami Mono still rules

Wow, I don't get that at all in the vocal. Just sounds like Jerry's really into it.

bzfgt, Archtop and notesofachord like this.
  5. trd

trd Forum Resident

I need to start keeping a text file of the shows people mention daily on here. There’s many I don’t know that I’ve heard and when I’m looking for something it’s always nice to have some ideas handy. Hell, I even need to check my Beethoven records when I get home now - I think I have a Bohm set

We talk about a LOT of music in here :D

6. sami

sami Mono still rules

That's an excellent idea. Try to remember them and a it becomes a jumble of numbers with slashes or dashes.

7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

If you like 1969 Dark Stars I suggest that 1969-06-14 is a very good one, if a little short

8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

6/27/69 and 11/2/69 are great as well.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, dgwint and 5 others like this.
  9. bzfgt

He can't do anything about that, unless he was mixing a multi-tracker which I don't think he has the access or equipment to do...

10. sami

sami Mono still rules

Noted.

Matthew Tate and bzfgt like this.
  11. bzfgt

From my perspective he wasn't too bad with that by 1969...

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  12. notesofachord

I have a complete Beethoven Symphony LP boxset by Bernstein and the NY Phil that was a hand-me-down from my maternal grandparents. I also have a CD of the 5th & 7th by Kleiber and the Vienna (Weiner) Phil.

Not sure if there’s any others.

Admittedly, I rarely listen to classical though. Less than .5% of my listening time, surely.

Then again Grateful Dead music only takes up perhaps 30-40% of my listening time - unlike the >90% that some of you nuts do.

:righton:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  13. Archtop

No, it's largely up through '67 although I don't listen to much '68.

14. bzfgt

I don't know why but I feel like that's such a kickass way to end a show--and not just for its bloodymindedness, although that is appealing about it too

15. notesofachord

Eh. Jerry just puts a little warble in there from time to time. It’s an acid-rock affectation, IMO, since you can hear it in other Bay Area band vocals at the time. It doesn’t sound anything like Baez’s constant soprano vibrato.

16. bzfgt

It's a great idea. I have listened to so many shows over the years I don't remember anything about. I started taking notes in June when I began my Europe 72 listen. I just counted and it's hard to believe, but I now have notes on 165 shows. A minority are things I plunked in from memory, some more are things I listened to partially, and the rest I've listened to since June (I'll guess half I've listened to all or most of, or at least one set or the meat of, since then?)...it's mind-blowing to think everything I've forgotten over the years, and how great it is to have a quick reference at least for what some notable song renditions are, and sometimes a bit of detail....

17. notesofachord

Yes.

18. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

while driving to Austin tonight, I was listening to the Dead station on Sirius and I heard the first 2 songs from a Baltimore '77 show. Really liked it.

Downloading 5-26-77 from bt.etree now and hoping (guessing?) it's the same show.

19. notesofachord

Fixed that for you. :wave:

20. bzfgt

Is that really likely though? How does that work? I think the only thing recommending it is the lack of a better answer.

sami likes this.
  21. bzfgt

Excellent show, massive Sugaree and my favorite Brown Eyed Women in the first set...

EDIT: so there you go, I thought "add those to my notes!" Went to the notes, there's already an entry with Sugaree and BEW singled out...must have thought of it already, who knows when. It's good to take notes!

22. bzfgt

Listening now to The Eleven from 1969-06-14, a great version. Even if you're someone like me who spent many (wasted) years neglecting the 60s, any Deadhead has heard The Eleven a zillion times. But tonight I just flashed on it and said "My god! What an amazing piece of music!"

23. Archtop

Wow; I just react in real time and then again later. I'm nowhere near as organized.

24. sami

sami Mono still rules

I can't get enough of it. The 11-8-69 Eleven, in between St. Stephen and Caution, is just off the charts. Jerry and Phil are monsters during that entire sequence.

25. notesofachord

Listening to Grateful Dead music can be just pure relaxing entertainment. Or it can be school. In reality, it’s always both, but one can choose to turn off the educational aspect if one chooses.

Crispy Rob, trd, Archtop and 6 others like this.