All Things Mötley Crüe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boswell, Oct 21, 2015.

1. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I don't have much love for Sick Love Song.

If I Die Tomorrow is better. So is most (if not all) of Saints of Los Angeles. The three new songs from The Dirt are all much better and better than most of the stuff on SOLA. The Dirt stuff is poorly produced and/or mixed but they're strong songs.

Matthew Tate, jason88cubs and Queezma like this.
  2. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I really liked If I Die when it was first released but found it hasn’t held up for me.... whereas I didn’t love Sick Love Song until more recently. I really wanted to love SOLA but to me it just seems dis-jointed and forgettable.... seeing as though it really had minimal input from Tommy Mick and Vince.

3. SizzleVonSizzleton

Yeah it's hard to get rid of suspicion that Tommy and Mick aren't playing on everything especially when you read the song writing credits. As far as Vince, he's the singer and not a writer so him singing on the songs is all the Vince I need. Credit to him because he doesn't have delusions of grandeur, he knows he's a singer and doesn't push to be more than that.

I'm not holding up SOLA as a stunning achievement. But as much as I've always loved the Crue, GirlsX3 is very spotty, Dr. Feelgood is even more so, Motley94 noticeably features another singer, Generation Swine is too far out of their wheelhouse, New Tattoo noticeably features another drummer (and is a MAJOR regression in lyrics and themes).

Against all of that, SOLA is a pretty solid album for a band as fractured and as far away from their heyday. It didn't blow me away at first (and still doesn't) but it's grown on me.

Matthew Tate and Queezma like this.
  4. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Actually your analysis makes a lot of sense and I agree. For me when I want to listen to them, it’s the first 4 albums. I loved Feelgood when it came out.... I listened to it incessantly front to back. But over the past 15 yrs or so when I am in a Crue mood I NEVER think....”I want to put on Feelgood and crank it”. For me its always the first 4 albums....flaws, bad production and all. GIRLS X3 definitely has some filler, but I think Feelgood has MORE filler. I honestly think Feelgood sounds more dated than the previous 4. I think I may revisit SOLA now that we are discussing it.

5. SizzleVonSizzleton

Dr. Feelgood might be the album I own that has the most distance between the absolute gems (title track, Kickstart My Heart, Don't Go Away Mad) and the rest of the songs.

The ballads are both generic and really terrible. They had some serious themes and lyrics previously with some of their best songs like Wild Side. So why they took the experience of sobriety and the thundering sound of Bob Rock and came out with lyrical drivel like She Goes Down, Sticky Sweet, Slice of Your Pie and Rattlesnake Shake is baffling and frustrating now that I'm not a 16 year old boy.

benzo, twicks, chilinvilin and 3 others like this.
  6. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

It’s too bad that they didn’t include “Rodeo” on the original release of Girls... Supposedly it was due to already having enough ‘slow’ songs on the record, but I don’t buy it. It would have been great to hear Vince sing it live... the next Home Sweet Home, at the time...

Queezma and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Music_dude

P.S. It also would have made the album itself a bit longer by default, since Nikki was always talking about how short it was.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

this was discussed though and at least the released demo of "rodeo is from the dr feelgood sessions. it has a female vocal on it and the band didn't do that until the dr feelgood sessions

Music_dude and Pouchkine like this.
  9. Music_dude

I didn’t know that... So, the demo of Rodeo on GGG isn’t the original from 1987??

10. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Dancing on Glass had female vocal.

The first time I heard Rodeo (which I personally think is a terrible song) was on a Dr Feelgood demos bootleg.

11. Music_dude

I’m pretty sure there was an earlier demo of Rodeo during the GGG era. I remember reading an article in Metal Edge Magazine either late 86’ or early 87’ where Geri Miller was gushing about the demos she’d heard of Wild Side and Rodeo...

12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Probably. It sounds more like an ‘87 song, especially the chorus, but the one they released is the same one I’d heard on the Feelgood demos. But it’s possible the bootlegger added it on or the band maybe carried the recording over from ggg sessions to Feelgood sessions- possibly doing more work to it.

Matthew Tate and Music_dude like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

yes but I don't think they had a female in when they demo's anything for GGG. who is the girl singing on the GGG album because I can tell you its the same girl on the demo's of "without you" and "rodeo" so if the female vocalist on GGG is not the same then that answers when the demo of "rodeo" was recorded

here is the credits I see for a female on GGG-Phyllis St. James

here are the female names I see listed for anything to with dr feelgood-Donna McDaniel, Emi Canyn

Pouchkine likes this.
  14. Matthew Tate

I'm thinking its not

Music_dude and Pouchkine like this.
  15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I agree, I think the demo on ggg is really a Feelgood track. Only question I think is whether all of this version was a new recording for the Feelgood sessions or if they worked from a ggg recording and overdubbed new parts.

16. Matthew Tate

exactly

rnranimal and Music_dude like this.
  17. Matthew Tate

btw anyone else prefer the remix of "glitter" on the hits release to the original version?

18. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

yes and i think Glitter is so underrated. Great song

Boswell, Matthew Tate and Music_dude like this.
  19. Matthew Tate

great song. co-written with bryan adams. i have been trying to get the single forever because it has more mixes on it but no luck

20. jason88cubs

Funny Motley still gets a good reaction here in 93 even though you could say they really weren't "relevant" mainstream wise

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Matthew Tate

I think I asked this already but if I didn't. whats the difference in the remix of "the animal in me" compared to the standard studio version ?

22. jason88cubs

added a orchestra

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. jason88cubs

Question for you that were around, obviously Motley hit their commercial peak with Feelgood but when Decade came out were they still at a very high peak mainstream wise? I know decade charted at 2 and would have been number 1 if it wasn't for Garth Brooks, but were they still a household name or did they sort of veer off after 91-92

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

i'll have to listen closely again. is the orchestra noticeable?

25. Matthew Tate

I was in middle school around 1992 and they were still pretty big. they veered off after vince neil left from what I remember being 11-12 years old lol. I remember the 13-14 year olds were still into them in 1992