How exactly are Grateful dead 'psychedelic'?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by holyroller, Sep 10, 2019.

1. holyroller

holyroller Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Sounds like a lot of folk, maybe semi psyche-folky with obvious rock n blues throughout. But some people categorize them as psychedelic but i really don't hear why, especially comparatively speaking for other actual psyche bands

2. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

Have you listened to any Dead from the early days? Say, 1965-1968?

3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Definitely because of their extended, exploratory jams. They weren't so much fuzzed-out psych like Doors or the Airplane, or massively trippy psych like Syd-era Floyd. They were their own thing.

limoges, Troyh, Merrick and 24 others like this.
  4. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

For the easy intro to the psychedelic stuff, check out Aoxomoxa or Anthem of the Sun.
    Then do some searching for the Dead at the Acid Tests.

Morpheus, limoges, Larry L and 24 others like this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Get in a time machine and go back to somewhere from 65-95 (preferably 69-90), take some psychedelic substances and go to one of their shows, and you will wonder how any other music could have been considered psychedelic.

Sorry you missed the bus.

willy, yesteryear, robusa and 52 others like this.
  6. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Try anything pre-1970. Anthem Of The Sun is your answer.

7. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

8. holyroller

i've listened to those first two albums from 67 and 68. i can see how those are semi-psychedelic but still leans more towards rhythm and bluesish. i feel like theyre album covers lead on more psyche than the music itself

9. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

Last time I did LSD - about 45 years ago - I threw on Anthem of the Sun and my first thought was, "They sure hit the mark with this one."

10. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

This.

11. holyroller

i guess them basically inventing the whole jam aspect of a live performance counts as some typa sub of psychedelic

Tooth and trumpet sounds like this.
  12. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Laid back yet so passagg :p

13. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Oooh... You’re in for it now... :-popcorn:

14. holyroller

i can definitely hear it in Anthem of the Sun more than others

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

To paraphrase my earlier answer - played live it is music to enjoy dancing to on psychedelics.

Whatever music critics, DJs or record company marketing people labelled "psychedelic" is far less relevant to psychedelic experiences.

16. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

IMO the term psychedelic seems to be very arbitrarily defined, and the Dead certainly check enough boxes to fit in that category, at the very least as "psych folk". By no means was I around in the 60s (I was born in the 90s) but those that were seem to have a far looser canon than what many today would call "psych". In fact I think the modern definition of psych is starting to be mostly informed by the psych revivalists like Dungen, Tame Impala and King Gizzard. At that point we're starting to classify music by what it "sounds like" vs the surrounding movement or context.

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

...with country and bluegrass thrown in. As said above, it depends on the era/album.

How about that lovely "Dark Star" from the (historic) Live Dead album for some psychedelic Gerry:

18. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Agreed...Live/Dead is also pretty trippy. As tripped out as it gets.

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

To toss him a bone, if he can get some good LSD and go see Dead & Co he still could have chance at getting "close enough to pretend"

20. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

There does exist a vast catalog of psych folk, so that alone as folk doesn't eliminate folk per se..and Blues psych, fusion psych, Baroque psych...so many psych sub genres. Then there's Donovan psych...Celtic psych...the list goes on and on.

21. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Listen to "Born Cross-Eyed."

Tooth, Frozensoda, bonus and 5 others like this.
  22. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

It’s not like any substance will point you directly to just one type of music. Stoner Rock is quite different from jazz, but both have connections to different circles within cannabis culture. Same thing with “psych” as a musical genre modifier... Psychedelics enhance repetitive patterns, which has implications for everything from Dead jams to house/techno and beyond.
    The strong cultural bond between LSD and the Dead has a lot to do with serendipitous timing. As you probably already know, the Dead’s sound engineer, Bear, was a crucial part of the supply chain of acid during the 60’s. So there was a built in association from the beginning.

JimSpark, bzfgt, klockwerk and 9 others like this.
  23. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Part of the problem is everyone has a different idea (and maybe lived experience) of what connotes psychedelic. For example, it's widely accepted that the early Pink Floyd were "psychedelic". When they went to San Francisco in '67, they were disappointed ... all the S.F. bands they'd heard of in London, reputed to be really trippy, sounded like folky/country/blues bands to their ears when they finally heard them at the Fillmore or whatever.

Seek out the original mix of "What's Become Of The Baby". That ... is psychedelic.

24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

More than a chain of association. Their style of musical interplay evolved while most of the band (all but Pigpen) were playing music under the influence of psychedelics, and interacting with audiences that were largely under the influence of psychedelics. The drugs were part of the creative process.

25. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When