Which frontman was the best at interacting with the audience between songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Chris Isaak...almost to the point where the songs (pleasurable as they are) are interludes for the comedy.

epp56, gonz, Fender Relic and 8 others like this.
  2. I know a lot of fans aren't exactly fans of his frequently lengthy speeches between songs, but would The Beach Boys have been the same in a live setting without Mike Love acting as their resident MC? At the very least, without him they might have been able to squeeze a few extra songs into each set, but that's not the point - he definitely stepped up to become the band's voice even when he wasn't singing, and I'm sure the others would have silenced him early into their career if anyone felt this detracted from the actual music too badly.

3. Robert Pollard can be pretty entertaining between songs.

4. Thunderman

Thunderman Forum Resident

Obviously, Charlie Higson

Higson is one of the UK's funniest television comedians. Before he went into that line of work, in the '80s Charlie Higson was the frontman for the band The Higsons. I saw that band live once and sure enough Charlie put on one hell of a show between the songs.

[​IMG]

enfield likes this.
  5. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

7. Bill Diercks

Bill Diercks Forum Resident

8. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I was going to mention Harry Chapin, but he doesn't really fit the definition of "frontman". But he was a great storyteller.

9. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I thought he was entertaining when I saw them twice in the late 70s, wasn't aware of the band politics at the time.

ShardEnder likes this.
  10. shelflife

shelflife Forum Resident

Completely agree. I expected him to be Uber-serious and couldn’t have been more wrong.

Taking that a step further.....Barney Greenway (Napalm Death) and Jeff Walker (Carcass) are also funny as hell. Really surprising to me given the music they play.

11. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Neil Young used to be very entertaining. Not sure if he still is these days.

Drumaniac - R and Trbnado like this.
  12. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Richard Thompson-very self deprecating sense of humor on stage.

13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Something I'll never forget is how Interpols Paul Banks broke a string at Roskilde Festival 2005. He stops, technician comes, Banks turns to the audience: "I guess now we'll have to wait!", lighting up a cigarette and smoking silently while watching the man fixing the guitar. Before continuing as if nothing had ever happened. :evil:

14. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Colin Meloy from The Decemberists. Check out audience interaction on Live At The 9:30 Club.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Bono's "political waffling" accounts for a small component of his on-stage comments.

Bono interacts with the audience about as well as anyone. He tells stories, brings people onstage, etc...

neo123, Phil147, acetboy and 2 others like this.
  16. Oatsdad

I'd nominate Dave Grohl. He's so funny that I sometimes prefer the concerts when he yaks rather than sings!

17. Oatsdad

Mick occasionally has some fun between-song patter, but too much of the time, he doesn't say much more than "how ya doin'? Doin' all right?"

Rufus rag likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Bowie was really good at between-songs banter. Lots of funny comments and stories!

epp56, Jo B, Thorpy and 4 others like this.
  19. G.G. Allin ?

(Just kidding)

20. David Bowie, at least in his later touring years (post Tin Machine). His charm and wit really come through in the short in-between song banter I've heard from various shows circa 1999-2004. His VH1 Storytellers even gave him more license to talk (as did his debut of Reality being played live in its entirety in front of that large studio audience (as streamed in conjunction with the release of the album, and I think it was simulcast in a number of theaters too, maybe - I forget all the details).

I don't know that Bowie's banter was as good pre-90's, to be honest (or at least not from the little bit I've heard from that time). Nothing especially shabby about it earlier, but I think he really came into his own, and his personality really came out more after the Earthling-related tour.

klaatuhf, Jo B and plentyofjamjars67 like this.
  21. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Indeed. The Live'r Than You'll Ever Be Oakland '69 boot is full of Mick encouraging the crowd to "shake your arses!" over and over. But Sir Mick really seems to feed off a crowd and when he's funny, he's extremely funny.

22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Always found him to be too obnoxious on that one. I prefer his interactions on the Matrix Tapes.

Bruce, though...he’s the man.

23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  24. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I had this bootleg of him called 'Young Man' s Fancy ' , live 1971. He plays ' Sugar Mountain ' and makes humorous self deprecating comments throughout .

Adam9 and Chuckee like this.
  25. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Colin Hay, funnier than most comedians I have seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.