The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. jbg

jbg Senior Member

2. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

This is one new to me, but what a fantastic group. Does it meet expectations?

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Please remind us (J.A.W. or anyone) what Desmond track (date if possible) was omitted by Mosaic. Thanks.

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think it was "Alianca". Don't know the date.

5. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

6. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Archie Shepp, Horace Parlan – Trouble in Mind (1980)

[​IMG]

7. Two more from ASTRUD GILBERTO 5 ORIGINAL ALBUMS (Verve) 5CD Box

CD4
    [​IMG]

WINDY - ASTRUD GILBERTO (Verve) CD
    Astrud Gilberto (vocals). Arranged & conducted by Eumir Deodata / Don Sebesky / Patrick Williams. Recorded 1968.

A pleasant enough 'easy listening/pop' album. I could do without her version of
    The Bare Necessities and possibly one or two other numbers.

CD5
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I Haven't Got Anything Better To Do / Astrud Gilberto (Verve) CD

with
    Astrud Gilberto (vocals), Stan Free's Studio Orchestra, Frank Owens & Paul Griffin (piano), Sam Brown & Albert Gorgoni (guitar), Richard Davies & George Duviver (bass), Gary Chester (drums), Albert Gorgoni (arranger & conductor). Recorded 1969

Good album, and one well worth hearing.

I doubt I would have gone for many of these titles as stand alone editions, but getting hold of 5 for basically the price of one disc was an attractive proposition for me and overall I am pleased enough with this purchase. I should mention there are a number of tracks (numbers 2 & 3 in particular) on The Astrud Gilberto Album (CD1 in this box) that sound annoyingly louder in parts than they probably should. Unfortunately not the best master has been used for this one. The other 4 discs in the box all sound fine.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  8. Re Nat Adderley The Scavenger
    Well Joe Henderon at this early stage (1968) is the promising artist for the future on this date. Nats compositions are in the line of his "Work Song", some with latin rhythm which is not my cup of tea. Joe sounds very funky when playing e-p. Steig with his flute blends fine with the cornets but isnt on all tracks. I would give it 3 1/2 stars. The rhythm section is fine througout the whole session.

frightwigwam likes this.
  9. Have them all on the original vinyls. A fine box with the best selection of her voice except the one with Getz is missing.

10. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Benny Golson, J.J. Johnson, Kenny Dorham, Max Roach, Paul Chambers, Wynton Kelly – The Modern Touch (1957)

[​IMG]

11. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Dexter Gordon, Bud Powell, Kenny Clarke, Pierre Michelot – Our Man in Paris (1963)

[​IMG]

12. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Checked the liners and it's noted that CEDAR was used by Paul Brizzi. I have to say, it hasn't bothered me at all just yet. And I've gotten rid of my share of CEDAR'd jazz discs as they sounded like I was listening to the music from a heavily blanketed speaker in another room. This one's not like that yet, but I haven't gone through the whole thing.

Side note, need to edit my comments on the music of What's New. Turned out to be pretty kitschy overall. Not my thing. I wouldn't buy this album on its own.

13. Bobby Buckshot

Weekend listening rundown:

[​IMG]

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers ‎– Buhaina's Delight
    Label: Blue Note ‎– 7243 5 92425 2 1
    Series: RVG Edition
    Format: CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered
    Released: 2004
    Recorded on November 28 & December 18, 1961. Several Shorter compositions here, including the lead off stunner Backstage Sally. This is a great entry in the Blakey/JM catalog. Fuller is on fire here.

14. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Sonny Clark, Art Blakey / Pete La Roca, Donald Byrd, Hank Mobley / Clifford Jordan, Kenny Burrell, Paul Chambers – My Conception (1959)

[​IMG]

15. Bobby Buckshot

[​IMG]

John Coltrane ‎– Fearless Leader
    Label: Prestige ‎– PRCD6-30059-2
    Format: 6 × CD, Remastered, Compilation Box Set
    Released: 26 Sep 2006
    Listened to the first 2 discs in this box set. Terrible packaging for the discs inside, but I'm loving the rest of it even though it's a bit of a mash-up.

16. Bobby Buckshot

And now:

[​IMG]

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers ‎– Free For All
    Label: Blue Note ‎– 7243 5 92426 2 0
    Series: RVG Edition
    Format: CD, Album, Club Edition, Reissue, Remastered
    Released: 2004
    Recorded on February 10, 1964. Two Shorter compositions, one from Hubbard and the other by Clare Fischer. Excellent album with masters of hard bop.

17. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Donald Byrd, Doug Watkins, Herbie Hancock, Pepper Adams , Teddy Robinson – Chant (1961)

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, jbg, SJR and 4 others like this.
  18. Have a lot of your recent postings in my vinyl collection. Its always as "meeting some good friends"
    ;-]]

dZp likes this.
  19. Thats really a good one. Like it very much.

Mugrug12 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  20. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Stanley Turrentine, Al Harewood, George Tucker, Horace Parlan, Tommy Turrentine – Comin' Your Way (1961)

[​IMG]

21. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Herbie Hancock, Anthony Williams, Freddie Hubbard, George Coleman, Ron Carter – Maiden Voyage (1965)

[​IMG]

22. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note King Record Japan "Blue Note Masterpiece Selection 150" GXK-8097) 1978 .... recorded November 13th, 1960 .... Blue Note gem in superb sound ....

23. Nice swinging mainstream jazz

Milestone MSP 930 " The Adderley Brothers In New Orleans" - recorded May 1962 - Engineer: Cosima Matassa - re-mastered by Ray Hagerty in 1971

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Some Charlie Parker tunes and other melodies played by a favorite group of mine with that great unisono sax sound of Parker riffs

Capitol ST-11371 "Supersax Plays Bird With Strings" - original recording engineers: Jay Ranellucci & Cecil Jones - issued 1976

String arrangements by Roger Kellaway & Donald Specht / Saxophone arrangements by Med Flory, Warne Marsh & Buddy Clark

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  25. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Just played quiet kenny preceded by Freddie Hubbard "going up". These albums share a song but it goes by two different names. Lotus blossom= Adriatic Raes on the Hubbard album. Both are good records. Which do you like better?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]