The appeal of New Country music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Action, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

What does glorifying whiteness sound like? And do I need to be woke to understand it?

2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

The secret subject line of this thread is "Steve-Hoffmanites, utter a musically conservative and/or snobby opinion about contemporary country: Go!"

3. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

My band opened once for Luke Bryan and Eric Church. While we were talking with them in the bus before the gig I was simply amazed that, at least in their case, that drawl was just who they were. They literally sounded like a couple of good ol'country boys right out of a movie. My 17 year old daughter was in our band and she was there too, and laughably twitterpated. :)

Now that I live in rural Kentucky, I hear that all the time, though. :)

Hot Ptah and seed_drill like this.
  4. FWIW, there's this quote from the article (and without touching one bit on politics)...
    • "At the same time, subtle but clear references to whiteness in country lyrics, such as mentions of red or blond hair, freckles, blue eyes, and sun-tanned skin, were far more common in the 2000s and 2010s than in the 1980s or 1990s. Mentions of racially ambiguous features, such as brown eyes, did not increase over this same period."

5. Vinyl is final

You first. :D

6. Terrapin Station

This appears to be one of those articles that sees any focus on sex as something negative, by the way, which is ironically perverse to say the least.

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Eric Church is a guy I'd like if his voice wasn't awful and "Drink In My Hand" wasn't an embarassing cliche. I've had to learn a few of his songs, his instrumental tracks are great and the dude is obviously pretty talented for a pop-country guy and does super long shows, but lordy he's an unbearable singer...sounds like he has a clothespin on his nose. I just can't get past it.

I won't touch Luke Bryan. That guy is about as much of a joke as his music is. Egads.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  8. Terrapin Station

I like contemporary country. ;-)

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  9. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Well....I like Buddy and Julie Miller’s new work...but that’s “Americana”...right?

Naughty Chord likes this.
  10. Vinyl is final

Yeah. I wasn't even familiar with their music when I met them, and now that I live in the land of "all FM radio is Country radio", I have had the chance to hear a lot of their stuff. I almost feel sorry for them when I hear the lyrics.

When we were hanging out in the bus with them, they were there with the record company PR guy and were doing a sort of "duet" act. I just saw them as "next year's model" that the record company was trying to push. I'm pretty jaded when it comes to singers. There are too many good ones.

I was at a live show in Greensberg, KY a few Saturdays ago. There was this black girl that got up to sing. Looked to be about 30 and very cute. She was a secretary and sang in the Church Choir, and this was something she did every now and again.

She blew our socks off. She did a rendition of "I will always love you" that was better than Whitney Houston's. When she did the key change it brought tears to my eyes. I'm rarely affected emotionally by live performances these days. But she did it.

Bluesman Mark and walrus like this.
  11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Country Western bin goin' downhill
    since Jimmie Rodgers died.

grapenut and Naughty Chord like this.
  12. Vinyl is final

I like a lot of it. It's the "bro-country" that is wearing thin on me. I've never liked the "early 60's tv show country star" type of stuff, though.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  13. Another semi-interesting article, from the same website...

https://psmag.com/social-justice/what-the-music-you-hate-says-about-you

Couple quotes...
    • "Overall, "the probability of disliking DECREASED for seven musical styles (classical music, opera, jazz, Latin, rap, rock, and metal), and INCREASED for four styles (country, bluegrass, folk, and religious/Gospel music)," the researchers write. (Ratings for show tunes, blues and R&B, and reggae remained roughly the same in the 1993 and 2012 surveys.)"
    • "...the types of music that are more disliked today are those "that appeal to disproportionately white, rural, Southern audiences." Fairly or not, many Americans associate these genres with racism, religiosity, and a nationalistic mindset. It's likely that in expressing their distaste for those genres, people outside the South and rural West are symbolically rejecting the belief systems they represent."
    In other words (and this is my own interpretation), a number of people may dislike particular kinds of music not so much because of the music itself, but because of the types of people they may associate with those who listen to those genres or styles.

(And I will confess to falling into this trap myself.)

Jarleboy and ghoulsurgery like this.
  14. Vinyl is final

Well, to quote a famous guy:

Well I heard Mister Young sing about her
    Well I heard old Neil put her down
    Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
    A southern man don't need him around anyhow

:D

15. Jarleboy likes this.
  16. Vinyl is final

For some reason, the top of the country charts is pretty much always male. It may be why Taylor Swift felt the need to go more pop.

17. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Clean-shaven, non-scraggly guys with nice complexions and perfect teeth? Just doesn't seem very "country" to me.

Contemporary country music doesn't appeal to the same type of audience that traditional country did. The contemporary stuff mostly sounds like bland pop music with a slight twang here and there. Justin Bieber with a cowboy hat.

Hot Ptah and Bluesman Mark like this.
  18. You may be in a truck but my tractor is sexy. :wiggle:

Will Harris likes this.
  19. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

"Glorify whiteness". Holy cow. A study on "rural masculinity" and heterosexuals in country music. I think this says a lot more about the people involved in the "study" than it does about the state of modern country music. Sad.

Scopitone, Earscape, sgtmono and 9 others like this.
  20. Being a fan of red or blond hair, freckles, blue eyes, and sun-tanned skin does not make one a racist.

21. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

[​IMG]

22. Well, at this rate, I'd give this thread 10 more minutes until the gorts have to shut it down.

Why in the hell can't we discuss this, without bringing politics into the discussion?

LilacTeardrop and agaraffa like this.
  23. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I hear this stuff at my brother in-laws house all the time and what always strikes me about it is how it glorifies ignorance and in-curiosity.

24. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

That's an excellent list - good places to go if you want to avoid the "80s arena rock with a fiddle" of new country music.

25. Vinyl is final

When it comes to my taste in a life partner, I'm not only racist. I'm sexist and ageist.

So sue me. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.