Original stereo copy of Magical Mystery Tour with some mono tracks?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beebs, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident

I have an original Canadian mono pressing. Although it's pretty beat up, I prefer the sound to my '70s stereo one. Especially on "I Am The Walrus" and the other 1967 singles.

Beebs likes this.
  2. roblog

roblog “Yeah” (John Wick)

Beebs likes this.
  3. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

The original 1971 German stereo LP with matrix A1/B1 is to be avoided, as it used the US master for side B. The A1/B3 is the one to get, but it's unclear when it first appeared. The three new stereo mixes didn't all exist until late October 1971.

4. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident

Agreed. Sellers are responsible for correct grading and safe S&H — that's it.

When it comes to a record that sounded like poo from day 1, it's caveat emptor time.

Beebs likes this.
  5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes, that’s the “go to” pressing.

A1/B3 that is.

Beebs and WhoDaresWins like this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's a pretty crappy release. He's complaining about what that release sounds like from the factory. That's on him, not you. That said, if this is eBay or PayPal related, he will be able to push a return if he wants. It's not fair, but it's how it works. So if you think that they will return it no matter what you say, then you have a problem.

SO...If you think it's going to come back, what I would suggest is that you reply that, yes, this album has certain issues due to the master tapes that Capitol used at the time. While you would not normally take a return for what is the sound on all copies from the factory, in this case you will make an exception if the buyer wishes to return the album at his cost. In this way, at least you will save yourself the return postage.

Beebs likes this.
  7. Beebs

Beebs Well-Known Member Thread Starter

You and I are on the same page. I said this to him yesterday and he very graciously decided not to pursue the matter. I'd still accept a return and refund, but apparently he doesn't want to go through the hassle, and for approx $15, I can't say as I blame him. But thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!

Man at C&A and TMegginson like this.
  8. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

A little off topic, but related to the quoted post regarding eBay. I quit using eBay many years ago when they first started (almost) ALWAYS siding with buyers (sorry, don't even remember year ) . I was selling a used 2004 hard-tail stratocaster on ebay, and clearly posted "no international sales, only sales to lower 48" in the listing. At the time the foreign buyer had a US paypal account somehow but definitely had a foreign eBay account. I refused to sell based on my clear verbiage "no international sales" Buyer filed a complaint based on his US paypal account, but I did not want the shipping hassle to the foreign country. EBay not only sided with the buyer, but refused to delete the buyer's negative feedback which was my ONLY negative feedback with over 600 positives over many years of selling. I have never sold on eBay since.

Moral of story to @Beebs ; just send it back at your own expense( unless you are not concerned with neg. feedback from buyer), because eBay does NOT support sellers, as my story above shows.
    edit: just saw your post and appears you are OK. I'll leave up my post as a warning of sorts to others who sell on ebay.

Beebs likes this.
  9. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

Just curious, how does the 2012 stereo MMT sound given it's sourced digitally? Is it on par to the German A1 /B3?

Beebs likes this.
  10. Beebs

Thanks! The buyer is being very understanding. I've offered a second time to take it back since I hate the idea of someone ending up with a record they don't like, even if it wasn't my fault. I probably need to toughen up!

11. Beebs

I'd be interested in hearing the answer to this question!

WhoDaresWins likes this.
  12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The 2012 pressing is digitally sourced. That being said, the tone is pleasing to my ears and isn’t as bright as the A1/B3 German LP. It’s one of the better sounding albums in the series.

WhoDaresWins likes this.
  13. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

There store nearby my work selling the 2012 MMT (made in Germany sticker on the back). I might go there tomorrow and buy it

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Tommyboy likes this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Note also that the UK Parlophone LP (not EP) pressings and the MFSL LP use the UK master tape - which is a copy of the US Capitol master tape - which is a stitching together of various 3rd and 4th generation (or whatever) copy tapes.

Tommyboy likes this.
  15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The all analog German pressing isn’t hard to find, just in case.

17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Superior mix of "Strawberry Fields Forever", IMO, although woefully lacking in bottom end (EQ helps resolve that issue). The edit transition is better and the pitch of the two different takes match, whereas the pitches of the two takes on the more common mix are slightly off.

Tommyboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.