UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Is this
    A poem?

2. Plectrum Electrum

Plectrum Electrum Forum Resident

Great find, especially if that New Jersey remaster is the 2014 one. I think that sounds really nice.

3. Marshall66hendrix

Marshall66hendrix Senior Member.

It can be if you want it to be!
    To me its a comment on people with
    A funny sense of humour and big ego's!
    Jah Rastafari.

4. Marshall66hendrix

I prefer the Eagles Hotel California personally!

5. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

The 2010 remaster, alas. It's alright enough but I have it on vinyl too so was hoping for something a little bit brighter and more distinctive. It's an album I truly love so figured it'd be worth the punt!

6. Marshall66hendrix

You can't beat a free gift!
    One of the 30 to 40 LPs salvaged from a bin by my brother ( he drives a refuse wagon).
    The Who - Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy. Porky etched in runout. N/M.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

GET IN THERE!

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Good work. Was there anything else good in them?

9. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

It is unbelieveable the stuff that lazy people throw away.

Marshall66hendrix likes this.
  10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

First boot sale, very little and nothing exciting, lots of people selling overpriced tat, also where has all the Hi Fi gone, I haven't seen anything decent in ages, we then went to a village jumble trail, this looked like it would have been fun and possibly rewarding, but we'd been told the wrong time and were two hours too early.:cry:

Second boot sale and it was pretty decent, I bought a lot of Beatles, Iron Maiden etc., for between £5 and £10, mostly stuff I'll move on, for myself I picked up the Stones "Gimme Shelter", plus From The Vault Marquee Club and Tokyo Dome, although I'm a big Stones fan I'd resisted all the From the Vault series as I'm not sure I'll play them more than once, but for £35 the pair they were cheap enough that if I decide I don't need them I shouldn't lose. My niece asked for some AC/DC and I picked her up "If You Want Blood", Who Made Who" and "Let There Be Rock" for a fiver each plus "Touch Too Much" on 12", she also likes Classical so I picked her up Jacqueline Du Pre's Elgar, an essential record.

CD wise it was poor except for an ex dealer getting rid of his stock of Japanese anime and video game soundtracks, someone was buying the lot and I really should have gazumped him, but I did manage to get "Howl's Moving Castle", "Soul Eater 2", "Final Fantasy VII Piano Collections" and "Sonic The Hedgehog True Blue", 50p each, new sealed, wish I'd had a chance to go through the whole box.

Other than that a silver Panasonic DMR-EX77 DVD recorder for £4, always useful.

11. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

Found myself on the High Street in Balham the other week and popped in to the plethora of charity shops they have there. Found original RCA copies of Sweet Dreams and Touch by the Eurythmics for 99p each so was very happy. Nearly got knocked over by some git on a moped whilst walking back to the tube but that's another story!

12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

In Suffolk for few days.

Yesterday, picked up CDs of K& A McGarrigle debut plus Anthony and the Johnsons I Am A Bord Now for 50p each.

Also found the Richard Hickox recording of Peter Grimes and Karl Bohm’s Idomeneo for two quid each.

13. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

You might already know this, but a huge amount of Anime/VG music CDs are knock-offs out of Hong Kong on labels like Miya. They’re often almost as professional looking as the real thing. I had an interesting time trying to source legit Cowboy Bebop OSTs.

A legit FF7 Piano Collection would be quite a find, and any Joe Hisaishi is great - absolutely love the main theme from Howl, Merry Go Round of Life.

Lost In The Flood and Dubmart like this.
  14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yeah, I knew they were the Chinese versions on Miya, been there before, but definitely wasn't worried for 50p each:) I just wish I knew what else was in the box, pretty sure there were more Studio Ghibli soundtracks among the game soundtracks, the more I think about it the more I'm kicking myself for not handing the guy the cash while the other person hesitated, but I'd just spent a fair bit of money on vinyl and not being a CD dealer selling all the spare copies would have been a pain, actually I'm just trying to make myself feel better, I messed up.:sigh:

15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Today I spotted a second generation Vertigo blue swirl Dire Straits Love Over Gold CD in a smooth sided case. Sadly, in somewhat scratchy condition. Thinking I might take it just for the case, I noticed the asking price was £2.50*. Wondering whether or not it was a one off, I noticed a not very interesting Prince 1999 CD was also priced at £2.50. Poor Phil Collins as his CDs were 50p each. There was also a worse for wear Roxy Music Avalon LP for £10. I left empty handed.

* A good price if in nice condition.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  16. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

My best day for quite some time, all CDs, nothing more than a pound.

AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
    AC/DC - Flick of the Switch
    Anoushka Shankar - Anoushka
    Cinematic Orchestra - Ma Fleur
    Claude Werner Quartet - Thoughts and Recollections
    Dusty Springfield - Dusty In Memphis
    Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down
    Revolutionary Dub Warriors - Reaction Dub Part 1 Deliverance
    Rick James - Street Songs
    Various Artists - Jazz at the Movies
    Humphrey Lyttleton - 4 Albums + (actually 2 Albums + as I made a schoolboy error and there was only 1 disc inside:doh:)

I was very happy with the Rick James CD, I have a different mastering but yesterday's was from the Spanish las grandes voces de Musica Negra series. I already have The Very Best Of The Originals in this series which sounds excellent so I'm looking forward to hearing this one.

The AC/DC discs were nostalgia buys, although I never had Flick of the Switch.

In Redcar, Northallerton and Bridlington there is a chain of shops called Goodwins, part of the North Yorkshire Trading group. They seem to have a slightly better selection of replay CDs than Poundland. I have managed to pick up a few CDs from there this year, including a current favourite The Modern Gustin Trio - Beatles Go Jazz, this is on the Tring label and the sound quality is far better than I would have expected from a budget label. If you like Jacques Loussier this might be right up your street.

17. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

Picked up Simple Plan 'Live in Japan 2002' for 99p. In great condition - not bad for a Japan only album... Be flipping it though, not listened to them or seen them live in years.

MC Rag likes this.
  18. thehatandbeard

thehatandbeard Forum Resident

Today’s ‘three for a pound’ bargain CDs

- John Lennon ‘Imagine’
    - The Goon Show ‘Ned’s Atomic Dustbin’
    - The Fall ‘40,000 Fall Fans...’

19. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

very rare to find On-U in a charity shop these days, and this is a classic 'forgotten' album on the label.
    i really like it.

Rossman, MC Rag and Dave S like this.
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'd actually forgotten that was on On-U, don't see much turning up anywhere these days, though don't see many people looking for it either, except those of us that are a certain age and been buying it since the eighties.

Rossman, Dave S and mark e like this.
  21. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

not a bad haul from st lukes Plymouth today -

N.E.R.D - In Search Of...
    Doves - Lost Souls
    Bobby Brown - Don't be Cruel
    The Future Sound of London - Lifeforms

4 quid

LivingForever and Dubmart like this.
  22. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

'Slade: Greatest Hits' for £1. Well chuffed with that.

Curiosity, Rossman, Dave S and 5 others like this.
  23. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Resisted temptation today as:

Too busy going through the last lot of CD's l brought!:D

Lost In The Flood, mark e and Dubmart like this.
  24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If only I had your restraint, I have so many records and CDs I need to listen to, I could probably stop looking for a year before I catch up, but then the hunt is half the fun.

25. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

I'm happy to let a stack of CDs and records build up, all waiting to be listened to. The time may come when I can't afford to buy any, so then I can catch up on what I already have.