Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

No. Most of Bear Family's box sets are still available.

2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

That should be a part of the 'Law' anyway.
    :tiphat:

melstapler likes this.
  3. PeterH

PeterH Forum Resident

4. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Wait that's not out yet....I was all prepared to order it but noticed the word preorder on the label's website (2020 release). Lol

melstapler and baptistbusman like this.
  5. hotshotskings

Ken Burns' Country Music is just another reminder that we need a large Loretta Lynn box set for all her 1960s and 1970s albums (31 solo and 9 with Conway Twitty)!

6. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

That blows me away that none of her albums from that time period have made it to cd!!

SGR and melstapler like this.
  7. Rick Bartlett

A bit of memory lane and some darn good history.
    George Jones and Johnny Paycheck.
    These guys are so close in the pocket, you do get the feeling they were soul brothers.

8. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Raven had put out a couple CDs reissuing 4 of her 60’s albums, but they are long out of print. And in the past there have been a few like Coal Miners Daughter and others, but once again they are long out of print. And now that universal let the masters burn up, I doubt we ever see anything rereleased that we haven’t already had.

9. hotshotskings

10. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is indeed. The copy I ordered was a reasonable price and signed by Johnnie Wright... but the shipping was $35 US, so that kind of hurt.

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I hit a used record shop this weekend and found 18 Bear Family single CDs that I did not already have, all at good bargains. That was very nice! This hardly ever happens. The dealer said there were about 20 BF boxsets as well, but they were all snapped up earlier.

The Bear Family single discs are just as special as their boxes. If BF finds it too costly and complex to issue large boxes at the rate they once did, I wish they would pursue single discs, especially devoted to individual artists. That should be more feasible in the current market.

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Does anyone here have the single CD
    Bobby Barnett ‎– American Heroes

My copy came in a Double CD "Fatbox" but was missing the book. It probably had a fat book, thus the double thick box.

14. Rick Bartlett

Love me some Ed.
    Wish he'd come back and do some new country music.
    Love his style and guitar pickin here..

15. GodBlessTinyTim

According to BF's site it should have had a 68-page booklet, likely worth half the price of admission. Was it part of that 18-disc record store haul?

melstapler likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Yes. I did not notice it was missing. Bummer. I feel like I have only a CDR....

GodBlessTinyTim and melstapler like this.
  17. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. The Tom T. Hall and Tompall Glaser titles could've worked as smaller box sets, but are just as satisfying as separate 1CDs. I've heard great things about the numerous David Allan Coe 1CD titles from his fans and yet those discs probably could've been combined as a large box set if Bear Family had taken that approach. Having a 1CD with quality artwork and detailed liner notes is a treasure.

18. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My wife has told me to stop spending so much on music. I mumble "OK" softly. But now and then, one of these long ago advance pre-orders comes through and the charges show up, and I get the third degree. I have not told her about the Domino set on pre-order.

20. GodBlessTinyTim

Not a BF item, but western swing collectors might be interested: Four CDs and four DVDs chronicling the 90-year history of the Light Crust Doughboys. Most of the set sounds to be from the 30's and the 2000's with not much in between, but I could be wrong about that. The box art leaves much to be desired.

The Light Crust Doughboys CD: Yesterday And Today - 90th Anniversary Album (4-CD & 4-DVD) - Bear Family Records

Audio samples: https://www.amazon.com/90th-Anniversary-Album-Songs-Years/dp/B07WMXH8L6

21. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Be very careful, as many of the recent titles released on Art Greenhaw's label have been CD-R. Other fans have made Art aware that his releases are CD-R and yet he still neglects to list these titles as CD-R. That label needs to provide proper disclosure of their titles being CD-R. This lack of transparency is a liability for both 3rd party sellers and consumers alike.

What we really need is a definitive CD box set containing only the pre-Art Greenhaw classic material from the 1930s and 40s. Without minimizing his numerous contributions to music, I should note that Art is currently 65 years of age. He was connected to the band and its legacy for a number of years, but officially joined during the 1990s. I've attended some of Art's events, one of which included participation from guitarist Nokie Edwards of The Ventures which was a special treat. Art is a skilled musician and an excellent businessman as well.

With regards to the earlier versions of the Light Crust Doughboys, I do have a few enjoyable LPs from the 70s which feature "reunions" containing members who were quite old by that point and those are on small indie labels if not private pressings. Those members have long since perished and it would be interesting to know the whereabouts of those masters. Of course, those albums could be reissued using needle drops of pristine copies if the masters have been lost.

The Killer and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  22. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I'd like that Bily Vaughn twofer with Swingin Safari being one of the two titles. Bear Family is price-gouging for it now that it is out of print. $50 for a CD? No sale!

23. sszorin

sszorin Forum Resident

[​IMG]

24. sszorin

sszorin Forum Resident

Please, dear God, yes to this wish.
    And Patti Page's and Loretta Lynn's gospel songs as well.
    And Mahalia Jackson's.
    The audio quality of Connie Smith's box-sets is excellent.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  25. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

"I thought I told you to take it easy on the music items."

"Oh honey -- this was ordered months ago. There was a production delay or something."

They really give us no choice but to lie about it. I mean, let's be realistic here.

The Killer and melstapler like this.