Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Heyguys, justmyluck.
    Dhl tried delivering it TODAY AT NOON but my Wife wasn't home, she missed them by 5 minutes!!!!!!!
    And this when it was scheduled to be tomorrow!!!!
    Nothing comes easy for me and themrs. Nothing!!
    Beave

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    dennem, bever70, displayname and 2 others like this.
  2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Sounds like my kind of luck lol

3. The Beave

Right!!!??

4. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Yup lol

5. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

You have no idea how many times I have to chase down the UPS/Fedex/USPS truck due to that...

The Beave, displayname and SirMarc like this.
  6. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I've done that multiple times myself lol

The Beave and jmpsmash like this.
  7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

If the delivery trucks had pre-ringing you'd know they're on their way to your door before they got there. Instead they seem to prefer post-ringing filters with a long tail that goes on for several days as they try to redeliver the next day and then the next day and then the final day before they hit the brick wall and stop trying to deliver it.

Bananas&blow, kbuech, Leigh and 5 others like this.
  8. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I absolutely hate it when that happens

9. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Ham, that technology is available now but with bulk delivery companies like UPS & FEDEX they're already overwhelmed this time of year and it's all about percentage of units delivered.
    The prep time required & the variables involved don't pencil out unless they decided to specialize with a signature required only fleet.
    Too small a percentage.
    Different story with freight delivery, far fewer items in the truck and the item value is far greater.

10. The Beave

But does their soundstage collapse or does it open up?
    Beave

bever70 likes this.
  11. The Beave

Just funny cause it was originally scheduled to be delivered tomorrow!
    And of course my wife really misses it by 5 minutes.
    But it’s here in Seattle so keeping the fingers crossed, but watch them sen it back to Hong Kong!!,,,,
    Beave

12. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Earlier today I was looking for measurements or info on what style of filters that Denafrips uses and what the impulse response looks like for the OS and NOS modes. I didn't find the info I was looking for. It does look like some Stereophile reviewers are interested in the Denafrips DACs. So hopefully Stereophile will review one and do measurements that show the impulse response for OS and NOS modes.

For a background on pre-ringing and post-ringing and filters and what the impulse response looks like and such and such check out this and this.

I used to be concerned about pre-ringing, but lately I've come to believe it isn't an issue and that sometimes the cure for pre-ringing is worse than the problem. For well recorded acoustic style recordings I've come to prefer the linear phase filters that have pre-ringing. The linear phase filters seem to better retain the space and ambiance of the room, the sense of 3D imaging and layering, and the transients. The minimum phase and apodozing filters lose some of that to either a small or great degree. If pre-ringing is good enough for the Chord Dave then it's good enough for me.

Stereophile did a review and measurements of the HoloAudio Spring Level 3 DAC. With measurements that show the impulse response for the NOS mode and OS mode. The NOS mode has much less pre-ringing and post-ringing. While the OS mode has a more typical linear phase impulse response. I wonder if the Denafrips is similar? NOS modes can have an impulse with very very little ringing. Which may be a reason why NOS sounds like it does. But such little ringing is going to come at a cost of allowing some extra nasties and harmonics through that shouldn't be there. Those nasties will show up in measurements. NOS isn't going to measure well. But if that impulse results in better subjective sound and imaging and the things that help make the 3D imaging illusion with audiophile stereo then it could be worth the trade-off. I tend to prefer good OS R2R over NOS R2R. But it depends on the quality of the oversampling.

mds, The Beave, Encore and 1 other person like this.
  13. moops

moops Senior Member

They won't Beave, stay positive. I thought I was the only guy that sort of schiit happened to. I'm currently using an older Bifrost AKM 4490 (not multibit) and have been a little confused as to where to go next, as a DAC upgrade beckons. I'm very interested to hear what you think of the Denafrips. Good luck with the new purchase !

14. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

Ok, the pleasures of listening to brickwalls :D!
    Tame Impala 'currents' - QOTSA 'like clockwork' - Depeche Mode 'delta machine', all nice 6 and 5 dr figures on the scale of stupidness...
    One thing to say, the Ares makes them more 'interesting'. Why? The layering/depth/soundstage difference appears to be even bigger with these. With my DS dac you listen to a wall of sound with these albums with hardly any depth which makes it a bit hard to notice some instruments in the mix, because the Ares renders more depth these little details that would otherwise get lost are more easily noticed. Still, they are a fatiguing listen, so when you feel like turning the volume down after a few songs, it's nice that the Ares still has that soundstage at 65-70db with the DS falling flat.

And now for something completely different: Leonard Cohen 'you want it darker' (dr13).
    I have always found the way his voice sounds (probably because of the very close mic recording) on this album a bit 'over the top', a bit too deep, low,.... With the Ares it reaches another level : it now is definitely over the top (for me anyway) ! The Ares brings all the deep and raw 'throatyness' out. Almost making it uncomfortable to listen to.

15. The Beave

Thank You moops!
    The DAC thing for me has been pretty much a yawn fest over the past 10 years or so.
    I’ve gone through a lot of CD players and some dac’s, like the out of production Emotiva 24 bit dac that used AKM chips, Cirrus chips, Burr chips, decks selling from $150 to $1000, and none of them really stood out sonically, they all were good at sound but not one of them stood out, until the OPPO 205 with that ESS 9038 chip, THAT is the game changer for me. But it does show how the bar for DACS has been raised over the last 10-20 years, that even cheap dac’s can sound very good, but imo not exciting.

But like you and others, because of my experience with the OPPO I know that dac evolution isn’t over yet. And this dac being r2r will be very interesting to me to see what, if anything it brings to my table.

And if our collective experience’s here help others in their pursuit then that’s even better.

More later.
    Beave

moops and bever70 like this.
  16. The Beave

Good post HS!
    Beave

17. The Beave

Excellent post Bever!
    That’s what I was wanting to find out and it seems that your experience was what I was thinking it would be. I remember reading Archimigos review of the OPPO 205 where he specifically addressed bit sample dac overload while decoding brick walled cds, and how OPPO trimmed the ESS 9038 to NOT overload under these circumstances. I could hear that difference in a less fatiguing listen compared to other players. I was actually unaware that this dac distortion even existed before reading his review. So I was curious how a r2r ladder dac would act under the same situation.
    Very positive information.
    Beave

18. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

That's the thing that always worried me about NOS. I have read that such a DAC sends ultrasonic frequencies to the amp and that this cannot be good for the amp. But most people seem to think this isn't really an issue and I guess from all the folks who use NOS DACs, who don't seem to run into any issues, that is probably the case. Still, makes me hesitate!

If I was to go down this path I'd consider DACs from: Border Patrol, MHDT, AN, and Denafrips. The DOGE 7 is interesting as well; not NOS or R2R, but it uses an all tube analog output stage with 8 tubes in total.

19. The Beave

Ok HS, I found this thread with a bunch of measurements on the Ares:

Denafrips Ares technical measurements

it goes into quite a bit of detail on all the inputs. The op did some work on this one!
    Beave

Paopawdecarabao likes this.
  20. The Beave

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Paopawdecarabao likes this.
  21. The Beave

Incredible!!!!!
    It just got delivered at 1205, the same exact time as yesterday!!
    That’s incredible!
    Ok, so now we have some fun!
    Heavy unit, very heavy!
    Beave

Melvin, moops, bever70 and 2 others like this.
  22. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

I believe that is a review of the original Ares, not the Ares 2 ! As it has been posted in 2017 and there is no mention of him listening in OS or NOS mode, nor is there any mentioning of the 2 filters in OS mode.

23. The Beave

You are right!
    I just hooked it up, is the default os or no’s?
    Beave

24. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Local craigslist just posted an Ares II for $600 this morning. Sold a few minutes ago before I could get out there.

25. The Beave

DAMN..........
    Great price. Keep your eye out, timing is everything.
    Beave