Fleetwood Mac / Before The Beginning 1968-1970: Rare Live & Demo Sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Apr 2, 2019.

1. uncle AK

uncle AK Forum Resident

The third night (feb 1st, iirc) has been only available in Wolfgang's Vault afaik, and there were some songs repeated from the other nights, or at least one. I don't think the new box set will have anything from that night, and one could guess for what reasons.

2. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

My pre-order from Bullmoose arrived today. It's in a fatboy jewel case. Haven't had a chance yet to compare it to the boots.

GerryO and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  3. Jewel case, that’s what I’m talking about. Yes!

danielbravo, Galley and snipe like this.
  4. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I know, I haven't seen one of these on a new release in years.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Reid Smith and jay.dee like this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Has it been determined the location/dates of the studio and live recordings? Any overlap with the Vaudeville Years and Show-Biz Blues compilations?

7. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I take exception with the title. I would say post Kirwan FM is "After the End". Peter Green FM IS the beginning. I am not much of a fan of Stevie Nicks FM.

8. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

I'm playing it at this moment. Sounds awesome.

GerryO, Tuco, PJayBe and 2 others like this.
  9. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

The "demo" tracks are not demos. They are BBC sessions...

You Need Love (Recorded: 27 Aug 1968, Broadcast: Top Gear, 13 Oct 1968)
    Talk With You (Recorded: 27 Aug 1968, Broadcast: Top Gear, 13 Oct 1968)
    If It Ain't Me (or That Ain't It) (Recorded: 27 May 1968, Broadcast: Top Gear, 2 Jun 1968)
    Mean Old World (Recorded: 26 Feb 1968, Broadcast: The Blues Roll On, 23 July 1968)

10. HarrySmith

HarrySmith Forum Resident

Probably lifted directly from that erroneous 'Radio Aberdeen' boot that's been doing the rounds since forever, I'd wager.

human riff 999, DTK and RobCooper like this.
  11. Whatever this set is compressed of and it’s all live material, the sound quality is spectacular.

shadlet, Tuco, James RD and 1 other person like this.
  12. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

I’m on track 24 now and will have to agree that this was worth my $14 at HDtracks!
    Love early FM.

GerryO, Tuco, RiRiIII and 1 other person like this.
  13. 3 discs and an incredibly well written, detailed book in jewel case $18 bucks on Amazon, bargain of the month!

Electric Sydney, GerryO, Tuco and 3 others like this.
  14. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I have the same questions about this release. Our local Bull Moose store has it in stock for $14.97. I'll try to swing by today to pick it up.

15. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Don't forget that the abolutely *essential* tracks IT TAKES TIME and ALL OVER AGAIN are missing from the official set for some reason entirely incomprehensible to me (see my post upthread from April 9). The given 1968 dates are wromg too, BTW.
    Greeny ahoy!
    Th:)mas
    As I said in my post upthread, I already strongly suspected that. Thank you for checking and confirming, Robbo!

Say, how is the audio quality compared to the resp. copies we know are "floating around"?
    Mac ahoy !
    Th:)mas

ash1 and jay.dee like this.
  16. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I would say that the sources for this set are the same as what has been around (perhaps even taken from the circulating versions), but noticeably (and annoyingly) compressed in the official release. Unless there is some music in this set that you don't already have, there is no reason whatever to get it.

DTK and Dondy like this.
  17. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

@Dondy, are some of your recordings used here?

18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I bet Sony just went to a few torrent sites and downloaded. And they have the bloody cheek to be coy about it. Ridiculous.

Gratefully Deadicated and Dondy like this.
  19. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Well, I would never call any of the floating around New Orleans/Bear recordings "mine" since I have received them by trades/swaps shares.
    I would just say this official release uses the same sources as I (and surely MANY serious collectors) have had for years (c. 20 in my case).

I this the answer you were hoping for or did I misunderstand you perhaps?

20. neil

neil Senior Member

Some of these tracks seem to have the same audience track grafted on. If you listen closely you can hear someone talking, and this is on many of the tracks, or I am having an acid flashback. It's like fake live albums of the past.

21. uncle AK

uncle AK Forum Resident

Listening to the title track from Spotify. Something weird is going on with the hiss going out and coming back. Also the annoying out-of-tune background "singing" on still there, as it was on the circulating source, but I don't remember it having such issues with hiss, or maybe the hiss was constant and what we have here is some NR... Oh well.

22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Are you a source for some of the BBC recordings that circulate? I think some of this set is from BBC broadcasts.
    I'm pretty sure I did the DAT transfers from Dick's cassettes of Bear's reels (Dragon > Sony R500), although someone else converted those to FLAC.

23. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Nope, RE the Beeb tracks, I'm not a source per se. That would - per my own definition - be someone who taped the tracks off-air back in the day, smuggled the tapes out of Auntie's archives or maybe an owner of those BBC Transcrption Disk vinyl LPs they stem from (would need to check in my files if the four in question were issued on T.Discs, can't tell off the top of my head). It's just that I have them, and as pretty low gen. copies but others here on the forum and "out there" surely do as well. Hope this helps.

ash1 and DTK like this.
  24. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Yup, as I said upthread you can clearly hear some other music bleeding through in between songs, such as organ and trumpet, and indeed, singing etc. Thankfully that gets inaudible during Mac's music. I've always suspected that Bear taped the Mac's show over an already used reel and the earser head didn't work by 100% or wasn't cleaned properly...

DTK likes this.
  25. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Saw Vol.1 in HMV yesterday. Vinyl. Forty seven quid. Seem a tad pricey!