Tape source for Beatles MOFI releases?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DaleClark, Nov 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Also there's 3 Mofi versions of Pepper. The box set Stan Ricker, the UHQR Stan Ricker, and the stand alone by Jack Hunt. All different cuts. The Jack Hunt is the least futzed with, I believe.

maui jim and lennonfan1 like this.
  2. Sam

Sam Senior Member

The best ones are AHDN, Beatles for Sale and Rubber Soul from the individual releases. And by the way, outside of MMT, ALL the original master tapes were hand carried to the U.S. The only time that was ever done. The somewhat extreme EQing was indeed a missed opportunity, forced on Stan Ricker. What mofi would give today to have crack at those tapes utilizing their One Step process. I can only dream.

dav-here and john lennonist like this.
  3. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

If Stan wanted a paycheck he had to follow orders from someone above him (with hearing problems due to an accident.) Stan did protest somewhat and that of course went ignored.

In 1982 it was far easier to license The Beatles. Not that it wasn't without some complications and logistics, but Mo-Fi pretty much only had to deal with EMI UK and Capitol and not so much Apple which was still in a disarray. Then in 1989 when existing lawsuits were settled then the ex-Beatles and their estates gained control over their catalog, that changed everything.

I would bet back when MFSL had temporary custody of those masters, they made 1:1 reel to reel tape copies without the EQ that tarnished the LP's. Someone probably has them and they're not telling.

dav-here and john lennonist like this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

5. Good morning :tiphat:

6. Blue Cactus

Duh what?

dav-here likes this.
  7. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

At one point, I owned the MOFI box and some titles individually. Some titles were better than others. Rubber Soul and A Hard Day’s Night being the ones that stood out from the rest and sounded good. I eventually completed my collection of original Parlophones and with the mono box, I didn’t need the MOFIs anymore.

8. Blue Cactus

Years ago, I had the whole set of Mo-Fi Beatles all purchased individually with the original artwork. Sold them all and haven't really missed them.

Besides I have a Dutch blue box for stereos, 2014 mono box, German MMT, German PPM and the UK -2/-1 Abbey Road. I'm all set.

9. Do you know whether the Mofi MMT has the same mix variations as the 1967 stereo Capitol?

10. Blue Cactus

Yes it does.

john lennonist and Shawn like this.
  11. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Haven't listened to the Capitol stereo in 30 years. Once I discovered the Capitol mono, I only played that until discovering this forum 12 years ago and acquiring the '71 German stereo. The US stereo was always a grating, murky mess that gave me bad vibes. I always mean to revisit it but I just never do.

12. Sam

Sam Senior Member

One word doesn't quite communicate to us laymen why this is second hand information to you. So all remastering engineers make a 1:1 copy of the master and then cut from that? Or do they use the newly created copy to "play around " with to determine equalization moves during the actual mastering? As good as the copy is, it's still a copy and another step removed from the master. So, Mobile Fidelity, as well as all past and present reissuing companies, have 1:1 tape copies of all that they've ever remastered. That's actually a great backup for all those valuable masters, correct? I mean, all those tapes lost in the Universal fire should have direct transfers in many places. Am I correct in that assumption?

john lennonist likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

MoFi made a backup, of course. For recuts, problems, goofs, the cassette version, accidents, etc., etc. Common practice.

4-2-7 likes this.
  14. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

They're probably sludge by now, depending on what kind of tape they used.

15. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Agree 100% with every point made by @tspit74

dav-here likes this.
  16. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Before it became de rigueur to trash all of the Mofi Fabs on this forum, Abbey Road was listed by many as being the best of all of the Abbey Road pressings they owned.

Dead quiet vinyl too, which is key to this often noisy, even if visually NM (due to long sides with a lot of dynamic range) album.

markmck79 likes this.
  17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It’s the other way around.

18. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Parlophones second to Blue Box?

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Oops. In my opinion, the Blue Box LPs sound better than the originals, for the most part.

Exotiki likes this.
  20. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I love my Blue Box much more tonight.

john lennonist, Exotiki and Tommyboy like this.
  21. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

IMHO The Bc-13 Box, 2014 Mono Box, and 82' Singles Box are by far the best sounding Beatles releases out there

22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yikes - really? The original UK wipes the floor with it to me.

AaronW and Mazzy like this.
  23. Uh no. I have an extra unopened copy. I’ll let it go for a cool $150 :tiphat:

chacha likes this.
  24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I used own it, thought it sounded pretty good.

25. Sam

Sam Senior Member

It does sound good. Especially for those of us in the U.S. that were only used to the original Capitol pressings. However, in comparison to an original UK pressing, it becomes clear where the mofi is lacking.

AaronW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.