"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

I think to be fair, those talking about it being equivalent to It's Hard are largely those who rather like It's Hard to begin with, so it's not intended as a slight on the new album at all. For those of us who ahhh, aren't big fans of the 1982 effort, well we'd be vaguely horrified if it was only up to that level, and I'm optimistic it won't be.

But it's just coming from two different angles, I really don't think those saying it would be similar level mean that as a criticism, just the opposite.

2. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I was hoping we'd get some news. I guess it's so close now it doesn't matter.

17 days to go !

3. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Yeh, I don't know that there is any more news to be had other than we weirdly have to wait nearly three more weeks for something so done that many insiders seem to have it already---(Gary Kemp at least). I thought this was the age of the instant drop! And it should be. "Before Xmas" is before xmas---two months before probably BETTER for gift sales than just 2 and a half weeks.

4. Your enthusiasm (understatement of all time) throughout 2019 for this has ramped up mine considerably.
    I have deliberately resisted temptation to listen to a single note of what has been put out in advance so very excited to be hit with the whole thing very soon.

5. johnny moondog 909

Only 16 days for you !...unless the Aussie release day is different. But no same day worldwide yes ?

So it's leaked has it hmmmm? Not that I know. I think he/she is a journalist that has or heard a press copy. I tried to message Gary Kemp, To ask if he would review at least a few songs, here for us. But he's invisible to messenger here I guess.

I so want to hear & talk & read about it here, but we can't !!!! YET

In my head though, I heard enough of the DETOUR Roughs, to already embrace that the most of the 5 i've sort of heard. BUT...it does have a sort of breakdown-bridge in the middle, that Sardy & Zak were working to improve....to live up....because the boppy R&B early WHO groove just sort of disappeared in that section....but I'm confidant they found a way ....to not lose momentum there....breakdowns are ok...can be.....not necessarily during a 3 minute snappy R&B groove though....that's what a WHO coproducer is for...to examine things like that...I bet its great....

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  6. johnny moondog 909

By the way.....Zak is credited drumming on 4 of the 11 songs on the regular version...but the deluxe has 14 songs, & Townshend clearly stated he, Pino & Zak knocked out 7 tracks during the initial sessions...So, wouldn't surprise me if Zak is on all 3 bonus tracks....possibly with his pops uncredited...per Richard Evans oblique comment about that....maybe it was a joke about genes, how well you know..

Wanna hear it !

jethrowup likes this.
  7. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

With Daddy-o Ringo on 3 more, potentially? So that maybe accounts for 7 of the 11 songs on the standard album?

8. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

9. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Awww, man. Zak is only on 4 of 11 on the base album? That was my main gripe with Endless Wire. Was under the impression that this was more of a genuine "band effort." That's too bad.

J_D__, slipkid, Who'sTommy and 2 others like this.
  10. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

11. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

13. johnny moondog 909

Yeah right on, most of us wanted that & thought that's what happened....BUT eventually we learned ( summarizing )....they cut 7 in a week-Pete, Zak & Pino...but just 4 appear on the regular 11 song version with Zak....some other high profile, contemporary drummers play most of the other 7....BUT...since they cut 7, imo----I believe it's likely Zak could well be on all 3....of the bonus tracks ...IF TRUE...he's on 7 out of 14...and on at least 1 or 2 tracks...Zak was very involved with Pete & producer Dave Sardy overdubbing additional Moonesque parts, including a kick drum overdub with soft hand mallets, like a WHO 66-68 poor man's tympani part...there is footage of that in the album Vlogs from Feb 2019.

In a recent interview, posted or linked in this thread, Zak said he was very, very into it, but it began to drag on & take too long , so he went to Jamaica and cut some Ska music with colleagues.

At about that same time ( as the Zak ) interview, Richard Evans the official WHO site webmaster, & designer of a lot of WHO ( & other bands ) artwork & lp covers...He ( Evans ) said Ringo plays uncredited on 3 tracks...but wouldn't elaborate or say if it was a joke or what...BUT there is a photo of Ringo & Pete from just recently...So ????

Your guess is as good as mine, But I'm thinking Zak does the 4 tracks PLUS+++ He & his dad perhaps play jointly or did a few overdubs on the 3 bonus tracks....I hope Zak is on 7 of the 14...would make me happy...incidentally the 2 released tracks DO feature Zak on drums...

But either way...it's not a Peter Huntington type deal like Endless Wire, where basically Zak was touring, so Rachel Fuller's drummer sat in for 90% of the album...the 'other' drummers on the new album, are all high profile current drummers from big contemporary groups..BUT I AGREE WITH YOU...most of us were/are bummed to learn that the new album IS NOT...a more 'bandlike' organic recording, with Pete, Zak & Pino doing all or most of it...Maybe Pino plays on the bulk of them...

But whatever, it's a brand new WHO album, 14 new tracks !!! & Pete & Bill Curbishley & others stated early on, some of it sounds like classic WHO, & some of it was more experimental or varied..There could well be 1 or 2 that don't really call for drums, like Purple Dress & a couple others from Endless Wire, we'll see..

Another thing, we were told Pete sings lead on just 1 of the basic 11 song album..a tune called I believe "I'll Be Back"..( great Beatle tune )...this is a new song, only same title...But i'm thinking maybe Pete sings at least 1 of the bonus tracks...we'll see....but of course Roger sings lead, but Pete also sings various parts on most WHO tunes....the new Music Must Fade is a great example !!! & textbook WHO vocals !!!!

Ok deep breath Just over 2 weeks to go NEW WHO !!! WHO !!!

Herman Schultz likes this.
  14. johnny moondog 909

If Zak was the cabdriver it would be perfect !

ARK, oneway23, Sci-Flyer and 2 others like this.
  15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

You don't recognize the Taxi driver ? His name is Boris-;)

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  16. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

I read something today that seemed to suggest "I Don't Wanna Get Wise" was the next single to be released.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  17. johnny moondog 909

When would this happen ??? Where did you find it ? Link please !!!

I found an article mentioning the song, but it says nothing about it being the new single.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  18. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  19. Herman Schultz

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ugh. Bummer. Some of the pre-album excitement optimism just went out of the balloon for me. Fingers crossed anyway...

J_D__, oneway23 and Odysseus like this.
  21. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

Huh. Looks like we will hear a new song on Friday:

source

oneway23 and Odysseus like this.
  22. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

How TF is that even possible? They did all the studio tracking in like three days.

Did Pete want to switch things up in the studio? Did he feel Zak wasn't up to snuff?

It's annoying on principle.

oneway23 likes this.
  23. Herman Schultz

Apparently, Zak got bored waiting and went to freaking Jamaica. :shrug:

Odysseus likes this.
  24. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

25. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Just read that hmv sleeve posted by Sci-Flyer, and I'm annoyed all over again at the studio drummers listed. I like them all individually and on other projects, but, not for this record. Was kinda hoping this would finally be Zak and Pino's chance to shine on a Who studio album.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019