The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Prestige Victor Japan "Prestige Jazz Masterpiece Series" SMJ-6608(M)) 1979 .... recorded July 27th, 1956 @ Van Gelder Studio Hackensack .... impressive soundtrack for a relaxed jazz morning pint .... both Hank Mobley and Kenny Dorham (what a superb trumpeter) at their very best - a delicate pairing indeed .... btw Doug Watkins (!!) proves his mastery here .... beautiful Victor Japan vinyl press from the late 70`s ....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Yes. The horns add so much to these classic tracks and the guitars rip.

JazzcornerND likes this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Two Blue Note Japan 24 bit by RVG LP facsimile cds.

Horace Silver "The Stylings of Silver"
    [​IMG]

Sonny Rollins "A Night At the Village Vanguard, Vol.1"
    [​IMG]

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

6. CD Coral CRL 57230 Eddie Costa "Guys And Dolls Like Vibes" - Recorded 1956 in NYC
    Featuring
    Bill Evans (p) / Wendell Marshall (b) / Paul Motian (dr)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark J, frightwigwam and Soulpope like this.
  7. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Revisiting my Favorite Keith Jarrett leader album over the past few days on repeat. From his short impulse period, it’s “Back Hand”.

[​IMG]
    Featuring the quartet with Charlie Haden, Paul Motian and Dewey Redman, plus some intriguing augmented percussion work by Guilherme Franco.
    This album really sounds like a band, not a project or a group of cats assembled for the studio. Not sure how much they played together but it sounds like quite a bit. An excellent communal effort from musicians who really couldn’t be anyone but themselves. The drumming and Redman’s tenor are especially recognizable but truly everyone in this band is so unique.

Interesting original tunes broadcasted from the 1970s badlands; Where
    post-bop and rock would congregate despite repeated warnings from their parents.

And it was good.

8. mwheelerk

Every now and then I get a little reflective on all the great music I have and how much enjoyment its brought to my life. This is one of those great moments.

[​IMG]
    Jeff Beck ‎– Blow By Blow
    Label:
    Analogue Productions ‎– CAPP 078 SA
    Format:
    SACD, Hybrid, Multichannel, Stereo, Album, Remastered
    US
    Released:

9. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

TOKYO ADAGIO - CHARLIE HADEN | Gonzalo RUBALCABA (Impulse!) CD

with Charlie Haden (bass) & Gonzalo Rubalcaba (piano)

Recorded live at the Blue Note, Tokyo in 2005 but not released on CD until 2015. It has an excellent sound quality with mastering by Mark Wilder. This beautiful recording captures the duo in an impressive, peaceful Jazz/Classical vein.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  10. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BEYOND THE MISSOURI SKY - CHARLIE HADEN | PAT METHENY (Verve) CD

Recorded 1996 with Charlie Haden (bass) & Pat Metheny (acoustic guitars & all other instruments).

The CD is issued in triple gatefold carboard digipak with booklet.

[​IMG]

Another very notable Charlie Haden duo album presented in excellent sound.

11. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note Liberty Blue White Stereo BST-84181) 1966 .... recorded September 14th, 1964 @ Van Gelder Studio Englewood Cliffs .... Joe Henderson (ts) + Kenny Dorham (tp) + Tommy Flanagan (p) + Richard Davis (b) + Albert Heath (dr) .... in a more than fitting assessment writer Gary Giddins once stated that Dorham's name has become "virtually synonymous with underrated" and to reinforce said judgement this superb Kenny Dorham session should be his final album as leader .... what more to say about Joe Henderson and his legendary sideman gigs for Blue Note .... btw Richard Davis (!!) .... listening via an exemplary sounding Blue Note Liberty vinyl press from 1966 ....

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  12. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Jackie McLean, Bob Cranshaw, Clifford Jarvis, Larry Willis – Right Now! (1965)

[​IMG]

charlesp, Cervelo, SJR and 5 others like this.
  13. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Tina Brooks, Art Taylor, Blue Mitchell, Jackie McLean, Kenny Drew, Paul Chambers – Back to the Tracks (1960)

[​IMG]

14. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Blue Mitchell, Al Foster, Chick Corea, Gene Taylor, Junior Cook – The Thing To Do (1964)

[​IMG]

15. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Horace Silver, Blue Mitchell, Gene Taylor, Junior Cook, Roy Brooks – Silver's Serenade (1963)

[​IMG]

16. CAPITOL [Japan] ECJ - 40012 from the series "Study In Great Big Band 20" -- Original recorded December 29, 1948 to June 1950 as Capitol T 324
    Featuring Terry Gibbs, Shorty Rogers & Chubby Jackson on the Be Bop vocals

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

20. mwheelerk

And a favorite album for me. Love it.

21. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Add a favorite for me as well. This Tone Poet wraps right around me. Lee Morgan’s Cornbread, but the rest of the crew just brings it. [​IMG]

22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Sonny Rollins and John Coltrane duelling together brilliantly on the title track, backed by Miles' First Great Quintet . . .

[​IMG]
    1956/2015 Original Jazz Classics ‎– OJC-124, Prestige ‎– LP 7047
    Newbury comics exclusive. Limited edition of 600 copies. Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray

23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

More Monday Miles, with the First Great Quintet . . .

"After all, that's what we did—came in and cooked" . . . :agree:

[​IMG]

1957/1984 Original Jazz Classics ‎– OJC-128, Prestige ‎– P-7094

24. [​IMG]

"CLOSENESS" DUETS - CHARLIE HADEN (A&M Jazz Heritage) CD

Four track album recorded at various times in 1976 with (1) Keith Jarrett, (2) Ornette Coleman, (3) Alice Coltrane, (4) Paul Motian. The CD was digitally remastered by John Synder & RVG (1988). Earlier LP / CD editions were issued in various LP/CD sleeves that looked more appealing and were the same as, or looked very similar to this one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019