When You See Old Things In Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by WLL, Nov 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

I am watching ALL ABOUT EVE on TCM now. In the beginning, Celeste Holm gets out of a taxi in front of the theater where Eve is (Spoiler) fangirl-stalking Margo - BTW, I wonder if the theater with the fake okay Margo is in was a real B'Way theater the film took over - Perhaps when dark? - to set up the film's situation. - Anyway, Celeste is wearing a full-length fur coat (Mink?). She is of course the unemployed wife of a highly successful man and presumably can afford it.
    But...since the wearing of fur coats (especially aside from " for warmth " outdoor coats) as a status/showing out item has come to be somewhat disapproved if in some quarters...(I am not looking to spark a discussion as to whether this is good or bad. Okay???:rolleyes:) This is a sign of things changing in (nearly) 70 years!:goodie: Any other examples of this you care to bring up? For another example, Eve receiving a long-distance phone call from California from her man is a very big production!

Tuco likes this.
  2. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I find it funny how Films of the 30s and 40s couldn’t get enough of men wearing tuxedos. Going out for a drink at that local nightclub? Better show up in a tux! This is especially interesting when most of these old movies were filmed in hot, unairconditioned Los Angeles soundstages.

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Jerry Orbach had a line on Law & Order: "We used to get dressed up to phone my uncle in Buffalo."

re Eve's phone call: how is it significant in Oscar history?

It disproves IMDb's claim that The Godfather was the first BP winner to have scenes set in California.

Tuco likes this.
  4. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

5. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I always get a kick out of seeing someone in a-phonebooth.

6. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

This is not that old but I was explaining to a much younger guy how we didn't pick up our landline phone and plug it in to the wall. Every time we wanted a new phone we needed to call the phone company and get it installed. It reminded me of scenes from the 50s and 60s where the teenager would pick up the receiver of the new, "modern" pastel coloured kitchen phone attached to the wall and walk around the room stretching the extra long cord. That was in the fancy homes! I remember the extra long cord being an added cost.

RickH, altaeria, Suncola and 3 others like this.
  7. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

How bout those old gems with the ladies stockings with the seam up the back,don't see that anymore.

carrick doone and Tuco like this.
  8. Two things that happen in plenty of old movies that are not so common now.
    First is smoking. EVERYONE seems to be smoking. Smoking happend everywhere, regardless of the event.
    Smoking in modern movies is either a throwback style, or simply non-existant.

Second is the way kids are depicted, if present at all. Many movies almost have the kids as background props not to be heard, and only somewhat seen...unless the adult needs something and then the kid is there pronto, ready to do as they were asked by the adult.
    Kids in modern movies are often in the forefront, active in the plot, and readily seen and heard.

chili555 and Tuco like this.
  9. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

A buddy of mine said to me once (discussing silent films) that these movies are time capsules. That's the real stuff as people lived it, used it, wore it. It's not from the prop cabinet or CGI or fake.

It's one more reason I appreciate the old films.

10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I like the ties men wore in the old movies. Those one colored or diagonal striped ties that predominate now are so boring.

Tuco likes this.
  11. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

The hats! Men wore the coolest F'ing Fedoras in the 40's. Now you gotta mortgage your house if you want to buy a Borsalino. That is one style I'd like to see make a comeback...

[​IMG]

RickH, Suncola, pablo fanques and 3 others like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Studios and some health organizations complain these days when people make movies or TV shows with scenes of people smoking. The reality is that there was a lot of smoking prior to the 1980s. In particular, tons in the '40s, '50s, and '60s. I'm watching the 1960s/1970s NASA show For All Mankind, and as much smoking as is in the series, I remember much more than that.

BTW, one thing period shows always get wrong: nobody held a pencil in the modern style back then.
    [​IMG]
    I only remember seeing people in school ('60s/'70s) hold a pencil or pen as pictured in the upper left. Anything else is just weird.

SandAndGlass, Steve Litos and Tuco like this.
  13. You can credit the Kennedy's as one major driver in hats losing favor. While Jakie certainly had a style and fashion spotlight on her hats, John did not wear hats and thus, younger men stopped wearing hats.

pablo fanques likes this.
  14. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

I guess that depends on the type of movies you watch ;-)

15. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

This is not quite on-topic, but nothing makes a still photo easier to date IMO than the cars.

Tuco likes this.
  16. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

People used to get dressed up fancy to go to a party. That was especially true in movies. Now you're lucky if someone puts on a clean hoodie.

As a guy who likes to put on party clothes, I appreciate seeing folks in formal wear in movies.

17. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Of course, we still have gas pumps today, but they have evolved a bit. But we don't have pumps that dispense oil.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and pablo fanques like this.
  18. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Yesterday's saturday morning matinee is today's billion dollar tentpole.

And kids buy merchandising.

19. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

I always find it amusing to see "filling stations" in older movies.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Funny you should mention TCM!
    Just watched "Wings Of Desire" this morning...There's The Berlin Wall!
    [​IMG]

Tuco and John B Good like this.
  21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I remember seeing pictures of New York City, and it looks like EVERY HEAD of men walking are wearing a hat like this!
    How CHEAP were they, back then?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

People used to get all gussied up to ride on airplanes also. I've seen movies where everyone on the plane is dressed to the nines and I guess this was very common. Air travel was still considered an event. A long way from the rumpled PJ's and flip flops we see today.

altaeria, SandAndGlass and Tuco like this.
  23. EricBanks

EricBanks Well-Known Member

In the film version of Barefoot in the Park, a big plot point was waiting for the phone installer to show up.

[​IMG]

carrick doone, Suncola and Tuco like this.
  24. WLL

...It was a phone call to Margo, I think I messed up above - It is a specially set-up all arranged by Eve to Margo, from Margo's friend-with-benefits:D, IIRC, as part of her nefarious plot to steal Eve's career and man:eek:!

25. WLL

...Princess Phones!:righton:!!!!!:goodie:!!!!!
    " DADDY!!You LOVE me!!!!!!!!!!! ":love::angel::)

carrick doone and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.