Song playing during your car accident...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CrawdaddySim1, Dec 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Then you are surrounded by a bunch of very competent drivers. Most wrecks don't happen when someone makes a mistake. They happen when a driver makes a mistake followed by another driver or drivers making a mistake. Count yourself lucky.....or blessed.

2. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

My grandmother fell asleep at the wheel while we were driving back from Ocean City, MD. I had my copy of James Taylor's Gorilla in her tape deck. "Captain Jim's Drunken Dream" was playing as we careened across the median strip and hit a sign. No one was hurt.

Zeki and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  3. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Just hope this doesn't happen.

CrawdaddySim1 likes this.
  4. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Mine was Silent Lucidity by Queensryche. Didn't play that again for about 20 years...

izgoblin and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  5. Rando Lacrissian

Rando Lacrissian Well-Known Member

1987: Prince's "U Got the Look" was playing when my black 1979 T-bird was T-boned by a little blue Chevette on my way to school. Baby, that "poor vette" was going much too fast, but it was totally my fault. I was at a stop sign and didn't look both ways before crossing the street. The impact on the front passenger side caused the bird to spin 180, and bent the frame. So much so, when the spin stopped, the driver door couldn't open. I had to exit via the impact side.

Sheena Easton's voice and the song's off-kilter guitar riff was stuck in my head for a couple weeks. "U got the look... U got the hook!" *BAM* ~spin~ "Woo hoo hoo hoo!" I couldn't listen to the song for quite some time. I'm a pretty big Prince fan, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

izgoblin, Zeki, CrawdaddySim1 and 5 others like this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Sorry, your theory doesn't apply here. Professional driving instructors will tell you Defensive Driving is most of the battle. Tennessee drivers, esp. Nashville, have always been among the worst in the nation.
    My son's DMV employee didn't even look up, or pay any attention, before giving him his license. My son was completely shocked.
    No, I earned it, along with some Blessing, which is my every day, all day, every day.

DiBosco and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

It was either "We gotta get outta this place" or "don't bring me down"

8. Longers

Longers Forum Resident

"Here Comes Bob" - Sparks

:righton:

CrawdaddySim1 and edenofflowers like this.
  9. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I ditched a 79 Regal while driving through a snow storm on the way to Chicago to see Black Sabbath. A comp of Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings Of Destiny by Judas Priest was in the deck. This was in 99. Thankfully it was the day before the show. I had third row in front of Tony. I was not going to miss that show!

10. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Not an accident, but I have a similar connection to listening to a song while driving.

I was in my car listening to a Johnny Cash collection when during "A Boy Named Sue", I got a phone call that my dad had passed away.

Of all songs, something as absurd and silly as A Boy Named Sue.

Dad had a great sense of humor. I think he'd enjoy that.

CrawdaddySim1 and Earscape like this.
  11. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Never been in an accident, but hearing "Sad Songs Say So Much" can still take me back to the time my family's car got hit by a golf ball while it was on the radio. No damage to the car, but it sure was scary!

12. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

The song was "Impressive Instant" by Madonna, and it happened back in 2001. The cars in front of me suddenly were hitting their brakes. Although I stopped my car in time, the car behind me didn't--causing a chain reaction of crashed cars. Seven years later, Madonna was to perform the song as a mash-up with "Burning Up" as part of her 2008 Sticky & Sweet Tour. She ended up dropping it from the set list before the tour started, but a few years later, the backdrop video made for the performance leaked online. And ironically, it features nothing but a series of car crashes!

13. sparrowhawks

sparrowhawks New Member

I never have a car accident, but there's a movie I watched depicting a scene related to that, Death Proof. And the song titles Hold Tight by Dave Dee.

14. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Veedon Fleece by Van Morrison. It does stick in the mind!

15. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

Great suggestion! (See previous page ;) )

16. thegoldenyear

thegoldenyear Forum Resident

All Cats Are Grey - The Cure (from Faith).

IIRC, fiddling with the volume knob on the tape deck, probably trying to work the last note, which decays for 17 seconds. Rolled through a four-way on a country road and got mashed by someone likely not paying much more attention than I. My car (Mom's beloved '85 Buick Century, with a mere 49,000 kms on it) was totalled. The other driver's car was totalled. We both walked away healthy, although she got some attention from the EMTs at the site. We got a letter from her lawyer a year later, accusing me of a dozen horrendous things, but nothing came of it. I still play Faith; it remains my favourite Cure album. And I still stop whatever I'm doing when that last note sounds at 5:11.

(I've had two other accidents, also both write-offs: in one, my best friend/bandmate and I were listening to our own music on a tape deck when we hit a patch of black ice; in the other, I dozed off to a Rufus comp before coming to and swerving into a, uhh, parked tree.)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  17. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Not an accident, but I got pulled over in Texas while Round and Round by Aerosmith was playing.

18. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

Song playing during your car accident...

Kate Bush - Don't Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake
    Even if it wasn't... it should have been.

19. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

I was driving from a friend’s wedding to the reception in the middle of the afternoon in September 2002 and became the middle car in a five car pile up. Soundtracking all this was Bob Dylan’s Summer Days.

20. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Steely Dan........`DEACON BLUES`
    Luckily I had not been drinking Scotch Whisky.............and I didn`t die behind the wheel!

21. Matze1810

Matze1810 Well-Known Member

Roxette - Sleeping in my car.

No just kidding.

I remember that Vogue by Madonna was on the radio when I drove against another car. Fortunately no one was injured. That was in 2005

MarilynsPickle and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  22. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

I remember Soft Cell's version of 'Tainted Love' was playing on the radio when I had kind of a blackout, crashing into the back of a car waiting at a red light. Luckily, no injuries.

That was in 1990, almost 30 years ago. Still remember that one every time I hear that song.

23. ziggytvs

ziggytvs What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

When I was driving home from school a few years back I got into a pretty gnarly (but thankfully no injuries) accident to Kanye West's "All of the Lights." Totaled my car. Lots of fun.
    Kinda chilling to hear now, but not in an overwhelming way. Still love its parent album.

First time getting pulled over, however, was to something off Aladdin Sane. I think "Drive in Saturday?"

24. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I don't remember if there was any music playing but in my life changing car crash in Jan 78 my last thought before impact was 'I've never seen a bronze coloured TR7 before', then we hit it.

izgoblin, Earscape and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  25. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

The song playing in my head during my bike accident in the '70s was Ian Dury's "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll", mainly the bridge. Then I slammed into the branch lying across the poorly lit path...

izgoblin, Earscape and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.