Vinyl "Rash"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Striker, Dec 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Striker

Striker Active Member Thread Starter

I was recently told this by a dealer on Discogs / Store in Virginia:

" I have spoken with friends, dealers, and high end collectors all over the world and we all agree that rash rarely affects sound. I even participated in a few forums about it. I have sold many records that have this "rash" to well known jazz collectors as well & they were all quite satisfied. Many were 1st press Blue Notes. In fact, I still have a dozen Miles Davis & John Lee Hooker from the same collection, all with varying degrees of "rash" and all play without pops or cracks. Most of the people on the famous Steve Hoffman forums(not the forums I took part in, but thoroughly read ) also seem to agree rash does not affect sound, but it can be subjective."

Is it true that most of the people on this forum seem to agree rash does not affect sound? That sounds bizarre to me but I'd like to hear what people have to say on the topic.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I guess I’ll be the one to ask what exactly “rash” is. Never even heard that term before.

Aftermath, zphage, boggs and 5 others like this.
  3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Is it treatable with a prescription?

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Yes-
    [​IMG]

Fender Relic, hutlock and lightbulb like this.
  5. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I assume it's because the so-called "rash" is just light scuffing of the top of the grooves, not deep enough to cause noisy playback.

uzn007 likes this.
  6. jimiclones

jimiclones Forum Resident

You mean that haze on some old lp's where it looks like those old plastic half-moon sleeves seem to have reacted with the vinyl, leaving a film that won't wash off?

Seen on lots of old Colgems (Monkees) albums, also early Reprise (although those always had paper sleeves).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  7. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I have two records with rash - one Ella Fitzgerald "Clap Hands", one a Police LP. Both I couldn't get the rash off after 3-4 wet cleans. Both its absolutely audible. I can live with vintage LPs with noise, scuffs, but rash like I have on those two, where it affects 1/2 to 2/3 of each rotation, it's as unlistenable as skips in my book.

McLover and mahanusafa02 like this.
  8. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

"Hey Artie, how's your rash?" -- Tony Soprano

9. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Same here, with a hiss/swish every rotation, on three WLP Reprise LPs from 1966-1967. Unlistenable to me as well.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  10. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Another reason to stick with CDs. And it goes on and on...

MielR, douglas mcclenaghan and ted209 like this.
  11. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Not the point of the thread, as I’m sure you know, but to each their own. So many mixes and so many records, period, never have and never will be released on CD.

groovelocked, zphage and vudicus like this.
  12. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Do you have to show up in every LP discussion with this garbage? We appreciate your love of compact discs. Now give us the same courtesy, please.
    What you continue to do is rude and unnecessary. We are all aware of the limitations of both media.

groovelocked, zphage, Mumdad and 5 others like this.
  13. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

I just love the cd folks that feel it is their duty/right/privilege to bash vinyl at every opportunity. See it all the time on this, and other forums.

14. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

You sure about that Bronzed CD ?

Another reason to stick with your cd’s?

zphage and lightbulb like this.
  15. johnborzatti

johnborzatti Senior Member

Variations in stylus shapes also matter on the outcome of what level of noise from an imperfect pressing will sound like. From my experience, the stylus diameters that ride higher in the grooves tend to reveal more imperfections that an improved sound, or whatever the reason behind the particular engineering of their shape. I ran a line contact Audio Technica 155LC for many years, then replaced it with a Shure V15 Type 5 with a Micro Ridge stylus. I started hearing noise on my records that I had never heard before, records that I had test played and confirmed as dead quiet. That didn't last long to say the least. I have been running Benz Micro's starting with the ACE, to the Glider and the last 15 years, on my second WOOD, all with Line Contact shaped stylus, or similar. Benz actually describes it as a Van Den Hul II ? It rides pretty deep in the grooves and with a vacuum cleaning machine, I have better luck with surface noise rejection with used records than new ones most of the time! So for particular collectors, etc, it is something to consider to give yourself any extra edge against unwanted surfaces noise.

zphage likes this.
  16. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I’ve got an ATVM740ml which handles noise pretty well generally. Vinyl rash it doesn’t. And my cheaper elliptical I use to test beaters isn’t better. A true case of vinyl rash dooms the lp to the trash pile. Soaking and vacuum cleaning doesn’t help, the rash is now part of the record in my experience.

17. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

To the CD vs Vinyl or Vinyl vs CD factions:

A rash upon both your houses

:laugh: :winkgrin: ;) :laugh: :D

curbach likes this.
  18. Striker

That has been my experience so far without any exceptions...

19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Penicillin cream will clear it up.

20. Striker

Any issues with "rash" or problems being associated with MFSL sleeves?

This whole fiasco has me wondering if I should just use non-acid paper sleeves for storage...

Thanks for input!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.