It's 2020--are guitar/bass/drums enough?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

I'd left examples of new rock music & artists w/the guitar, bass, drums format, thinking that was part of the query posed in thread. I'd also given separately, names of some who combine guitars & synths. * Color me intrigued; what you're listening to that you find interesting is not being done by rock artists of the guitar/bass/drums variety? Then, is it rock, or is it something else? Is it with synths? I'm always up for hearing something new ~ please share; along w/example of not reinventing the wheel, yet continuing to evolve...so that members participating here will have a clear understanding of what it is you are seeking. :confused:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

I think I've made my preferences clear earlier and throughout the thread. I would rather hear from others.

3. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I think that usually sounds too thin.

Keyboards and/or rhythm guitar go a long way in creating memorable songs

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

It all boils down to the strength of the material, the quality of the songs

5. Chrome_Head

Honestly, I find a lot of ambient electronic music more cutting edge, adventurous and more musically interesting than anything I've been hearing in rock (Warp Records / Aphex Twin, Floating Points, Tycho, Boards Of Canada, Skee Mask, Four Tet, Northcape, Shigeto, Ulrich Schnauss).

FillmoreGuy likes this.
  6. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Depends on what and who you are listening to.

Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor (2005):

Alex Turner - Vocals, Guitar
    Jamie Cook - Guitar
    Andy Nicholson - Bass
    Matt Helders - Drums

Arctic Monkeys - The World's First Ever Monster Truck Front Flip (2018):

Alex Turner - Vocals, Backing vocals, Organ, Piano, Guitar, Synthesizer, Bass
    Jamie Cook - Guitar
    Nick O’Malley - Guitar
    Matt Helders - Drums
    Tom Rowley - Piano
    Zach Dawes - Piano
    Tyler Parkford - Farfisa
    Evan Weiss - Acoustic guitar
    James Ford - Drums

7. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Yet, somebody incessantly babbling about ho's over a computerized rhythm loop never gets old.

8. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I don’t know. Those instruments still work for me. Tool still seem to be doing well with those instruments. I guess it depends on the person.

latheofheaven and Chrome_Head like this.
  9. Chrome_Head

Arctic Monkeys? Never much listened to them, I will have to add them to the list.

:laugh: But nobody's talking about that kind of music in this thread.

Yes, Tool still do it well. They have a style that's very exploratory, and it helps that they have a rhythmic genius like Danny Carey on drums. They are one of my all-time favorites.

tug_of_war and eric777 like this.
  10. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

One of the Youtube comments on the Fontaines DC Too Real video says:

"My teacher recommended me these guys. Quite nice, I like it"

Seems fitting somehow!

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

A stripped down power trio sounds pretty damn good right about now.

latheofheaven likes this.
  12. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Yes--beautiful music. Far Away Trains Passing By is up there with Another Green World for me....

Chrome_Head likes this.
  13. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

It can be.

But I also love keyboards of any description, whether in the context of a rock band or pure pop music

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

:laugh: It really does!

15. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I think rock (I assume that's what you mean by guitar, bass, and drums) is pretty much finished as far as the mainstream is concerned, but it's definitely still attracting an audience and fulfilling a purpose in indie music. I don't think the instrumentation has that much to do with what rock is capable of, either commercially or artistically. Rock music hasn't faded because people are tired of guitar, bass, and drums, it happened because the genre stopped doing anything new or interesting so people moved on. It's not like rock would suddenly come back if bands started incorporating trap beats or digital instrumentation. As far as the more niche forms of rock that are still thriving, it all depends on what the artists do with guitar, bass, and drums, or whether they decide to stick with that format. Bands like Black Midi, Parquet Courts, and King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard are doing really cool things with that instrumentation (plus some keyboards).

16. LilacTeardrop

Wolf Parade, who are definitely rock, but utilize synths, too & definitely a more experimental sound. They have new release scheduled for next week 1/24/20.
    2017 is "Cry Cry Cry".
    Hope those looking for something different might end up enjoying. :tiphat:

Wolf Parade - Forest Green [LYRIC VIDEO] - from new release "Thin Mind"

Chrome_Head likes this.
  17. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

I'm a bit bored of bands with just a guitar and drums, and I'm not going to pretend that rock is mainstream anymore either. It's no longer the dominant musical genre, and that has nothing to do with the choice of instrumentation.

FillmoreGuy likes this.
  18. LilacTeardrop

Others who blend guitars & synths for some interesting & eclectic sounds. They've each got about 6-9 releases in their catalogs.
    Spoon released a Compilation last year & there's rumors of new release this year. Metric's Art Of Doubt (2018) is career highlight (to date). Fantasies is more guitar-centric, while Pagens In Vegas more synth, but always that combination. Spoon changes up sound each release, some more stripped back, i.e. Kill The Moonlight..more keyboards. Below is from Hot Thoughts (2017).
    Spoon
    Metric

Metric - Dressed to Suppress - Art of Doubt [Official Audio] - open builds, crashes in @ 1:20.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  19. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

New band SLOPER proved this weekend drums and guitar will do. SLOPER consists of two famous drummers: Cesar Zuiderwijk (of Golden Earring) and Mario Goossens (of Triggerfinger) plus two guitar players - Fabio Canini and Pete Shoulder. No bass on stage and it doesn't hurt the sound.

20. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

21. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

It can be. Listen to a Courtney Barnett, Big Thief, or Sunflower Bean record

But, I like plenty of music with other elements

22. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Another reason why guitar/bass/drums will never truyly die is because they're all so much fun to play, and don't require nearly as much prowess to start as most other instruments do - so there will always be people starting guitar bands, mostly because it's more fun and easy than starting almost any other kind of band.

23. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

In an alternative universe (or timeline) there exists a classic/hard rock radio station where all the songs are great and loved yet they are NOT by any currently known artist.

24. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

"It's 2020--are guitar/bass/drums enough?"

Depends on who's doin' the bangin' & twangin'.

25. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I always suggest a quick side trip to Japan to freshen up the ol' outlook.

88 Kasyo Junrei

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.