Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: 2019 - 2023 Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Jan 11, 2019.

1. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Rockford & Roll and Guy Smiley like this.
  2. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

So the Zollo updated book is out, got a shipping notice this am.

Nice of Amazon to have it delivered tomorrow, I didn’t pay for any shipping.

I guess they sensed my disappointment that it didn’t come out for my birthday last fall.

That, and I’m a very nice guy.

3. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Does anyone know if Barnes and Noble will sell the Zollo book? The Barnes and Nobles say it is "temporarily out of stock" when the stores opened today.......are they going to have these books? Where else besides Amazon is this book being sold?

4. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Tim 2 and WaterLemon like this.
  5. twistandshout

Thank you. I'm not an online shopper. I like to look at the book in a store before I buy......gone are those days I suppose. I'm just surprised Barnes and Noble doesn't carry the book. Target shows "sold out" before the store even open on the publication date.....oh well.....maybe someday I'll find it in a book sale

6. KTC1949

KTC1949 Well-Known Member

I received the book on Thursday, Feb. 13th. Read the first edition cover to cover. The first “new” chapter in this version is called”Pure of Heart”. In it, he cites TPATH’s last album as “ Hurricane Eye”... pretty sloppy journalism.

Rockford & Roll, Sean and Paul Getsey like this.
  7. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Mike does have a similar voice to Tom Petty.

CCrider92, Tim 2 and JoeF. like this.
  8. Arete411

Arete411 Forum Resident

I noted that too, and wondered if it was an early but ultimately discarded album title. It's not bad.

9. twistandshout

I don't see what it would hurt to have this book being sold in Barnes and Noble. I don't know if the fault likes with the bookseller or the publisher....but Barnes and Noble never got these books in their warehouse and can't even special order it. A travesty......as Tom would want everyone to have access to buying his material. I'm not crazy about buying things online and would like to buy this book in a bookstore or other stores.

10. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Never read the original, just getting started on this one.

I did jump to the discography and was surprised that the Best Buy ‘Live Anthology’ not listed, neither the 5th cd or the 2 dvds.

11. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hep Alien, WarEagleRK, enro99 and 2 others like this.
  12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Glad I'm not the only one to think that.

13. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I hope Jenny doesn't write the liner notes.

15. Arete411

Arete411 Forum Resident

For anyone in the L.A. area, Paul Zollo is doing a book signing at Book Soup on Thursday (2/20/2020).
    Paul Zollo discusses and signs Conversation with Tom Petty | Book Soup

16. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I thought I would post this for my fellow Petty-holics, if anyone else has not seen it (I'm sure some of you have!). This was just uploaded yesterday to YouTube and appeared in my recommendations. A sizzling 1978 performance on the Old Grey Whistle Test.

They were just the perfect blend of tight and loose. Tom looking cool in his shades as well. Highly recommended for a watch if you've got 40 minutes to spare! Absolutely fantastic vintage Heartbreakers.

I'm planning to order the new Zollo book for myself this week, as a gift to myself. :)

17. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I first thought this when I heard “I Don’t Wanna Fight” off of Echo, and again when I heard “Victim Of Circumstance” on Mudcrutch 2. It was apparent (and really cool) when Tom (and Howie and Scott) sang harmony with Mike.

Hep Alien and Tim 2 like this.
  18. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

I read the first edition 15 years ago and thought it was great. I still reread it from time to time. I wonder how different this new re-release is. Is it basically the same as the original with a few notes added, or is there a whole bunch of worthwhile additional content? To those who read the old version and pick up the new one, I'd love to hear your thoughts on if it's worth picking up again or if it's OK to stick to the original.

19. McCool

Well TBH and as I've mentioned a few times on these forums before, it's really difficult for me personally to advise anyone else on what to do with their money. So that being said, prior to writing Conversations With Tom Petty, Paul Zollo was already an accomplished author with an interest in Tom Petty/Heartbreakers and had spent numerous occasions interviewing Tom Petty beginning I believe in 1994. So the additional content that has been included in this new edition, seems to be much of Paul Zollo's writings on Tom Petty both prior to and after the publication of the 2005 edition of the book which weren't included in the original publication. Of note, there is also a brief conversation that Zollo conducted over the past year with Dana Petty, where they speak about the project and Tom Petty's life. Of note, one of the things to have come out of that conversation was the revelation that despite having two extremely comprehensive books on the market at the time of his passing, Petty in the final year of his life had begun writing his own autobiography that was only a few chapters in at the time he passed away. So that would've obviously been interesting to read had TP ever finished it. The bottom line is that Zollo has always approached Tom Petty's work and life with a great deal of love and respect and therefore anything he writes about TP is going to be something well worth reading in my opinion.

20. twistandshout

I hope that they include the few chapters Petty had written for his own autobiography in some other book....such as a retrospective book of photos or maybe reprint the coffee table book Runnin' Down a Dream and include the chapters
    he wrote. It would be a shame not to ever put that out in print if his intention was to complete an autobiography.

21. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Hey Folks, just a heads up, Mike Campbell will be a guest on the Beatles Channel on Wednesday night 9-11 Sirius XM on the Fab Forum show

BeatleJWOL and Rockford & Roll like this.
  22. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

I have a lot of music books and the Zollo book is one of my favourites. I like books where the songwriter gets to talk about each song. It's fascinating and actually enhances your listening. Tom also gets to talk about his life too. Zollo gives him a lot of space to talk, and his questions and prompts show how much he loves, and knows about, Tom's music. The updated version should be good.

Hep Alien and Bonddm like this.
  23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

A lot of good stuff is going to be released one day, just don't hold your breath.

24. McCool

I don't know about that last part.;)

Anyhow here's Mike Campbell:

25. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Somehow, I had missed this bit of news. So, the lawsuit is finally settled, and they're actually working on the Wildflowers Deluxe. Do we have any idea of a timeframe for this yet?