Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Cooking dinner at midnight?!
    Oh, wait, I see you're in California... Carry on! ;)

2. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

I reserve the right to cook dinner at midnight in any case.

3. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

I have this, which is Oistrakh and Mitropoulos, but, obviously a different recording.
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector, J.A.W., Daedalus and 2 others like this.
  4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

As they say... be careful what you ask for. That bright yellow cloth-bound box may be eye-catching, but it's also dust-catching and not easy to keep clean. :sigh:

I, too, play Concerto No. 2 the least... but in the box set, that particular record is filled-out with Gilels playing Beethoven's 32 Variations in C Minor on an Original Theme, G.191.
    A nice bonus in the hands of Gilels and something that might make that single LP worth looking for some day (assuming the single-issue version is identical to the set version).

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Indeed... and enjoy!

By then it will 3:00 a.m. here on the east coast ... so try not to play your CDs too loud out there, as most of us Easterners will be trying to get some sleep. ;)

CMT likes this.
  6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

According to the NYT, Oistrakh made his American debut playing the Shostakovich with Mitropoulos in Carnegie Hall on 11/20/55. The Columbia recording was made 1/2/56 in Carnegie Hall.

CMT likes this.
  7. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

This is marked "First Recording," so that makes sense.

vanhooserd likes this.
  8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

By the way, the recordings on ASdisc are live, maybe from radio broadcasts.

CMT likes this.
  9. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Really? Interesting.

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Beethoven - Violin Concerto / Romances Nos. 1 & 2" performed by Stephanie Chase with The Hanover Band led by Roy Goodman on Cala.

[​IMG]

Daedalus and Luisboa like this.
  11. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

[​IMG]

CD 1: Háry János / Dances of Galánta / Variations on a Hungarian folksong "The Peacock"

royzak2000, bluemooze, CMT and 2 others like this.
  12. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

The late, great Joanna Nickrenz!

bluemooze, vanhooserd and Wes H like this.
  13. Daedalus

I have this as well

CMT likes this.
  14. Daedalus

Are the discs in this box set inserted into separate LP covers or are they in paper sleeves? Just curious.

CMT likes this.
  15. Daedalus

Recorded 1978, 1982. LP box set. Includes 1 string quartet by Apostel , 4 quartets by Zemlinsky.[​IMG]

16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

17. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Organ, Brass. and Choir

[​IMG]
    4CD Set

Listening to these Hyperion titles I found at a local store yesterday.

royzak2000, bluemooze, canzld and 3 others like this.
  18. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Maryinu's Second violin concerto is a stunner. The first ain't too shabby either.

canzld likes this.
  19. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

The the whole Martinu set is great! Paid 6 dollars for a new copy of the 4 CD set at a dingy rock n roll record store downtown Syracuse.

20. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

It's interesting how concerto No. 2 gets neglected, I remember my Mama and Dad also very rarely playing it. I wonder if other thread members feel the same. I play concertos No. 3 ( my favourite :love:) and No. 4 more often than No. 5( although I have the most variants of that one, over a dozen now) and No. 1 gets a little more attention than No. 2.

Dust and all....that boxset looks great. Dust and LPs are a symbiotic thing.

Wes H likes this.
  21. CD 92 of Mozart 225 The New Complete Edition. This is one of the rare discs that they've left exactly how it was originally released, including the bonus Clemenza Di Tito overture.
    [​IMG]

22. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

They have no covers. Just paper sleeves, and it's very confusing because each disc is labeled Side 1 and Side 2, so there are 10 marked all the same way, meaning you have to read the small text to figure out what you've got in your hands.

Daedalus likes this.
  23. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

On the TT...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, vanhooserd, canzld and 5 others like this.
  24. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Nice finds!

StarThrower62 likes this.
  25. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

I have made a concerted effort to play #2 more, but it's certainly my least favorite of the five. Is part of the issue is that it's not as immediately appealing melodically as the other four? #1 is a clear nod to Mozart, modeled after the C major #25, and a well-done one at that with some nascent Beethoven moments interspersed throughout; #3 also uses the C minor Mozart concerto as a model, but with added Beethovenian sturm und drang typical of his middle period; #4 is one of those unconflicted works in the vein of the Pastorale symphony, and is particularly winning. And of course, the Emperor is one of the great warhorse concertos in all the repertoire, a heroic work as signaled by the choice of E flat major as the key. #2 in comparison is something of the black sheep, but I've come to appreciate it more recently for its overall quality of construction. I wonder if part of the problem that it's just not as memorable thematically as the other four?

DeepFloyd11 likes this.