CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Josip

Josip Forum Resident Thread Starter

Discussion from NYA thread...

Graham Nash confirms work on Deja Vu reissue with deoms and alternate takes.

No comment from Neil and Stills, but Crosby hints he's in financial trouble.

Once again, CSNY saga continues...

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Unfortunately David has no one to blame but himself (and he freely admits that) but you have to feel bad for him if he is in a position to lose his home. Hopefully everything will work out for him and Jan.

Crimson Witch, Paul W, ARK and 5 others like this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

ccrosby has been touring almost non-stop for the last 4 years.

he has released 4 albums that didn't sell badly at all.

the reports of him being in financial trouble, in my opinion, are total ********.

4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I disagree. He most likely makes a pittance on his records at this point. Even if there is a decent stream of income from these, he probably still needs to recoup his recording, manufacturing and musician costs.

He has indeed been touring constantly for four years but plays smaller venues (probably in the 350 to 1,000 seat range) and still has to cover all the touring expenses (re: transportation, band salaries, per diems, etc) and probably isn't netting a fortune. What he is netting is probably all going to paying household expenses and health care related costs at this point.

I believe his financial troubles are real and wish him nothing but the best.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  5. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Crosby has a very very nice home in Santa Ynez, CA. I am a fan but if he can't afford it he might have to scale back a little bit. Can't live like a big rock star forever.

6. Josip

Here's the latest on Crosby: David Crosby: “If I Lose the Tours, I Probably Will Lose My Home”

What he actually needs (not neccesarily wants!) is a full CSNY arenas tour to make some money.

Although, after more than 50 years in the business, someone should explain to him that owning his masters, not just the publishing, could benefit his account...

Peter K, Sean, davers and 4 others like this.
  7. rpd

rpd Senior Member

How does a guy like this have a mortgage? He doesn’t own his house????

pocofan, parman, Doggiedogma and 7 others like this.
  8. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

He had lost everything in his days of addiction.

9. rpd

rpd Senior Member

That was years and years ago. He could have easily owned a reasonable home by now. Cry me a river. And I like Croz music....

10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

GREAT news about Deja Vu. Very very sad about Crosby. I was watching "Remember My Name" just last night (for the second time) and I find myself nothing less than stunned at how his life has ended up. As I was watching/listening to him talk, I couldn't help but think how that singular "end-point" of our lives can end up. You can go through years and years of "great times" and "success" but at the very end it all gets down to this "one place" in your very own corner...as if all the great times never even happened to begin with. Very sad. I wish him well for his remaining time here; he doesn't sound too confident that there's too much of it left.

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Don't be so harsh on someone else's situation...you're not in his shoes and you don't know each and every detail of his life other than what we've all read (from which we take our own conclusions). The guy-like all of us in our own ways-is obviously very flawed and made a ton of mistakes..many of them, IMO, come down to weakness and present-moment lack of judgment. We're all guilty of this throughout our lives and for many, it's hard to envision the long range outcomes of our actions towards others and ourselves. Give the guy a break; big mouth and all, he didn't murder anyone.

12. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I wish him the best. I really do. All I am saying is they guy should have a paid for roof over his head. Maybe don’t live like a king when you aren’t???

He says he has no savings...oh my...

ARK and DK Pete like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Hopefully something gets released

perplexed, qtrules and DK Pete like this.
  14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Agreed on that much. But there are tons of people who blindly do that and then "suddenly" end up with next to nothing. It's easy-from the outside-to make judgmental comments on them. All I'm saying is, yea, he did stupid things and made stupid mistakes..but like they say, "here we are *now*"; putting blame and laying criticism on the past doesn't help/solve anything.

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

People judging other people they don't know is perhaps the worst aspect of the internet.

16. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I don't know the numbers, but Croz has an expensive (medical) drug dependency to keep up, which isn't covered by insurance, simply in order to stay alive - he therefore needs a steady income stream (& has had to have this since his liver transplant in 1994), to get by.

I'm still not convinced he's necessarily also the best manager of his finances - he drives a Tesla, for god's sake - but I have some sympathy around his basic need for regular steady cash (maybe he should relocate to Europe, if he can qualify for state support for his medication??)

Joti Cover, astro70, ARK and 5 others like this.
  17. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Oh please, "he didn't murder anyone". So anything below murder is the human condition.

We all don't cash in on a autobiography either do we, putting our lives out for public consumption. Films about our lives.

Hey I'm a huge DC fan. But when the man says he's glad to be alive (and also says he shouldn't be), then whines about keeping his home; it's doesn't make sense.

I would love to see DC on the top of the world, rolling in dough; but imo life only gives you so much and DC has gotten plenty out of life. Downsize David.

Oh and looking forward to any release regarding DejaVu.

Lee Davis, Dog Ear, pocofan and 4 others like this.
  18. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

If there were a box set with a 5.1 mix, I’d be on board.

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Deja Vu has been a favorite since the day I bought it and I'll buy a 50th anniversary set if it happens. I feel for Crosby. I'm 67 and one thing that I've learned is, nothing is guaranteed in this life. 40 years ago I woke up and later that day I was in an ICU and spent two years in and out of hospitals after an accident. Still live with the physical effects. Never take your life for granted. Anyway, hope theres an anniversary release !

20. Josip

I wouldn't be surprised if they toss some complete Fillmore concert in the set... It's in NYA can anyway...

ARK, Terry and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

GoFundMe for Croz?

22. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'd love to have a deluxe issue, it'd be like...Deja Vu all over again!:hide:

fr in sc, Rick58, moople72 and 18 others like this.
  23. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

There are people in much more dire circumstances than Croz, but being the egomaniac that’s he is, he chooses to whine about losing his fancy house. Not cool.

24. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I have a lot of empathy and sympathy for David. I've a close friend who traveled a similar path and has come down with a serious illness - though not related to her addiction - which has kept her from being financially independent. I cannot and do not stand by to let her sink. It might well have been me.

SirMarc, Peter K, DaveJ and 2 others like this.