CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Rolling Stone

JUNE 26, 2014 2:00PM ET

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young May Release ‘Deja Vu’ Box Set
    “I might talk to the boys about doing the entire album where we don’t fade out the songs,” says Graham Nash

NOTE: Written in 2014

Several years ago, Graham Nash said this:, which , to me, is AWESOME!
    (Hope it comes true).

. “We recently did a mix of one of David’s songs that went all the way through from beginning to end,” he says. “I thought to myself, ‘I’d like to hear ‘Carry On’ without it fading.’ I want it to go all the way to the end when Dallas [Taylor] put his drumsticks down. I want to hear the jam we did at the end of ‘Everybody I Love You.’ I might talk to the boys about doing the entire Deja Vuwithout fading any of the songs

Nash: CSNY May Release 'Deja Vu' Box Set

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  2. No chance Neil Young could have de-railed such a project??????

Seriously, would this be similar to the Beatles FOUR (4) parties (John and George’s estates, Ringo and Paul) all having to give approval for group projects?

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not sure about the answer to your question.

neil young, for some ungodly reason, seems to have more control over everything appears on with CSN than the other 3.

goes back to that guy in the bar in texas in the 80's that told stephen stills: "you know that neil youg?, he don't need your ass no more".

4. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

As much as I love this album, at this stage only a good whack of unreleased Stills material would make it super exciting. More live material would not.

As for Crosby's current predicament....I wish him well and hope everything goes well, but he has had so many opportunities and a vulgar amount of money pass through his way. He may lose that home, but he will never be homeless. How many others will be in such a position when the corona virus has passed and jobs are lost.

5. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I was being slightly flippant in my suggestion, as I don't know how easy it is for a bona-fide rock legend simply to decide to up sticks & move to Europe (let's be honest, it's not something that happens all the time - Marvin Gaye in Belgium being the chief precedent I can think of!)

To be fair, 625 quid for someone with Croz's health issues would be a snip at the price...

phillyal1 likes this.
  6. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Croz and all others of his age are very much at risk. I hope they are able to stay healthy and safe.

I’ve heard a few remixes from Deja Vu: Carry On; Helpless; Almost Cut My Hair. In each case I thought they sounded worse than the original mix. Screwing with the drums placement and sound is dangerous with CSNY recordings.

I look forward to a 50th Anniversary set, with outtakes and some remixes, but I hope the remixes are a bonus thing. Remixing could kill the delicate balance and vibe that makes this record unique.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's always been like that. More or less noticeable depending on the release. Not sure about a different take, but definitely seems to be a different mix at least.

I'm aware of the following alternate mixes:

CSN box set
    Almost Cut My Hair (apparently a rough mix from the sessions, but the box set notes aren't specific)
    4+20 (1991 Stephen Barncard remix)
    Woodstock (unreleased 1969 Russ Gary mix)

Carry On box set
    4+20 (2012 remix)
    Carry On/Questions (unreleased 1969 mix)
    Woodstock (1969 Russ Gary mix as released on the CSN box)

8. Josip

Josip Forum Resident Thread Starter

Begs the question: why would you mix part of the song differently? Although, it wouldn't be the craziest thing CSNY done in 1969...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

There is also the Helpless mix with harmonica on NYA. With big reverb-y drums. Yikes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Editing together different mixes for different sections of a song isn't uncommon. In the case of Teach Your Children, the middle section has Nash solo on lead vocals, as opposed to the group lead vocals of the rest of the song. I don't know how the song was recorded, but it may have been easier to edit different mixes together than quickly make mix changes at the transitions.

Or they simply liked the sound of those particular mixes.

Chris M and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed. ; )

Nomadicarchivist likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

does anyone have the HDCD CD of 'deja vu"?

been after one for 20+ years and have never even seen one, online, or in person.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yours for the low, low price of $185.02 + S/H.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déjà Vu

It's probably the worst sounding digital release though.

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

wow!

thanks though....a little too steep for me.

worst sounding digital release? the CSNY HDCD of ;looking forward; is also a terrible recording, quite possibly the worst HDCD disc i own. just a garbled mess.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes, as if someone just turned the treble all the way up for some reason.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

interesting, the only negatives i've read about is that there is an inordinate amount of tape hiss (not trebly though), but once you get past that it supposedly sounds OK.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It has all that tape hiss because the treble was jacked up.

Chris M likes this.
  18. Simon

Simon Forum Resident

I'd love to have the whole audio of their appearances at tv shows like Down by the River, You Don't Have to Cry, Long Time Gone with Tom Jones.
    In the "Long Time Gone" DVD there are some fragments of songs played during rehearsals, Laughing and Find the Cost of Freedom, complete versions of these songs would be great.

19. Josip

It's missed opportunity for CSN couch album 50th anniversary reissue that never happened - and there are A LOT of studio takes and demos that could have made a great box...

20. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

When my demise eventually happens, I want to go to that place that exists in between the guitars in this song.

21. For a distraction and your amusement , linked below is the original Rolling Stone review of the album.

WhileDeja Vu is not perfect and - because of the enormous talent - could never meet our expectations - the “reviewer” attempts to make his mark by trashing the effort.
    A classic case of viewing a piece of art through the critics” “vision” ,rather than the artists.

He manages to also show disdain for the first CSN “Couch Album” in the process.

Would love a box set of the albums recording sessions!

Deja Vu

22. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

https://www.amazon.com/Rare-Video-Broadcast-Collection/dp/B07D2XM4B7

TRACKLIST 1. Southern Man 5:23 2. On The Way Home 3:25 3. Birds 2:21 4. Down By The River 4:49 5. Long Time Gone (with Tom Jones) 3:46 6. Immigration Man 4:42 7. Helpless 4:29 8. Military Madness 3:45 9. Traces 2:41 10. Almost Cut My Hair 8:28 11. Teach Your Children 3:50 12. Only Love Can Break Your Heart 3:10 13. Daylight Again/Find The Cost Of The Freedom 2:34 14. Only Love Can Break Your Heart 3:20 15. Southern Cross 4:14 16. Teach Your Children 2:49 17. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes 2:49 18. This Old House 4:36 19. Long May You Run 4:37 20. Love The One You're With 5:03 21. Find A Dream 3:42 22. As I Come Of Age 3:34

Paperback Writer likes this.
  23. Josip

According to Atlantic tapes archive, there's a lot of material to curate a deluxe Deja Vu set - full list here: Neil Young Broken Arrow Magazine Archive

For example, the whole Fillmore East residency, from June 2 to June 7 is recorded with master tapes archived in Atlantic vault.

CSNY recorded sessions for DV during the second half of 1969 at Wally Heider Studio in San Francisco. Unreleased tracks (at least officially) include the following titles many of which could be either snippets or work in progress:

September - December 1969:
    Ivory Tower
    Blackbird
    Change partners
    30 dollar fine
    Sea od madness
    Neil's song
    Beginning
    So begins the task
    You're wrong baby
    You've got to hide your love away (???)
    Black Queen
    Whole People
    Steve's song
    Master my fear
    She can't handle it
    Now (sic!) you got to run
    Sea song
    Horses
    Birds
    Right on rock'n'roll (Jan 1970)
    You can dance really good
    Laughing
    Everybody's alone
    Same old song
    A man's a man (Right between the eyes)
    Question why
    When you were asleep
    Cologne - Why baby why
    He died for Mary
    Round and round

and a lot of:
    Unknown title
    Jams

marmalade166, laf848, supermd and 2 others like this.
  24. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

^
    On the 2018 Jimi Hendrix release Both Sides Of The Sky there is a version of 30 Dollar Fine (called $20 Fine),
    with Stills - vocals, organ; Jimi - guitar; Duane Hitchings - piano; Mitch Mitchell - drums. Record Plant September 30, 1969.
    There´s also a demo version of Woodstock from the same date, with Stills - vocals, organ; Jimi - bass; Buddy Miles - drums.
    (At least according the liner notes/credits)

supermd and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Awesome news. But, what are deoms? Is that some new format or something?

Matthew Tate likes this.