Sinatra on Columbia (Official/Authorized Releases)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That was very old news. The latest from Chuck (last fall) is quoted above in post #1043.

Tribute, Pants Party and noirbar like this.
  2. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

That's right Bob. Completely forgot about those fall 2019 quotes. Still hanging on with enthusiasm...

Bob F likes this.
  3. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

It was supposed to be all master takes according to Chuck. If another company like Mosaic wanted to let Chuck continue the project, I'd be all for it. Why not Sony's not doing anything with it.

4. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Sony has stopped third-party licensing altogether. Unless there is already something in the pipeline, it will for sure not come from anywhere outside.

5. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Let BEAR FAMILY do it! A box like the Dean Martin releases would be so great!

Pants Party likes this.
  6. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

any release will be unnecessary if we don't get new transfers

Marty T and Pants Party like this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Though I have all of it, there are still many fans, both old and new, who never got the complete box.

At any rate, the principal works of one of the true giants of 20th century culture should be in print.

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It is now almost 30 years (!) since the complete Sinatra on Columbia box was issued (1993), and it has been out of print for much of that time.

To me, it is criminal that this material has been out of print for more than a generation!

Seriously!

Marty T, Pants Party and Peter Duncan like this.
  9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

MarkusGermany and Simon A like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I, for one, do not consider streaming to be "in print". It has also been available for free on torrent sites for 20 years.

Marty T and Richard--W like this.
  11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes, but this is an official, authorized release by Sony Music, not an illegal copy.

I’m not disagreeing with you that it’s a shame the physical product has gone out of print. But it was a very expensive package which remained in print a good long time. (At one point, in order to keep it in print, they substituted a faux cardboard box in place of the genuine blue-stained maplewood box imported from Mexico.)

Let’s face it: In today’s dwindling CD market, there’s no way Sony will offer the 12-disc box set in physical format again. As much as it disturbs us both, sales of Columbia-era Sinatra music will never justify the production cost. The music is still available to fans, though.

12. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

The physical market is more or less dead. Columbia material is particularly hard to sell since it is of little interest to "modern" audiences and has been endlessly re-issued by public domain labels. I can see Sony putting the old disks into cardboard sleeves and selling a set for something like 25 or 30 EUR on the European market, but even that is doubtful since the market is flooded with PD Columbia disks.

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Despite these statements, large boxsets are still being issued regularly and sell quickly, from many of the corporate owners.

Pants Party likes this.
  14. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I was going to say the same thing. The only physical format that seems to get much of any attention these days are exactly that — deluxe, super-mega reissue box sets. Be it rock and roll anniversary splurge-a-thons or huge classical mega-sets.

Whether or not Sinatra’s Columbias would fit into that market, I don’t know. But there’s at least a precedent for a nice physical set. I will say one thing for certain — they can’t half-a$$ it. The people that would want it would want it done right.

15. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I'm curious to figure out where the Metronome session was held, so I asked eyesofageneration.com (a wonderful resource on radio/tv studios for those unfamiliar) to see if they knew. They couldn't ID the studio definitively, but did say it appeared to be a "CBS playhouse/radio studio."

There were five CBS Radio Playhouse theaters, three of which were converted into tv studios, most notably Studio 50. Based on the images i've seen, Studio 4, at 254 West 54th Street (became Studio 52), seems the most plausible, but I'm far from convinced. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Simon A and Ridin'High like this.
  16. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

17. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Works OK here.

Bob F likes this.
  18. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

weird, now it works....

Bob F likes this.
  19. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

Chuck stated last October:
    "I can't go into detail just yet, but you will see a physical Sinatra product from the Columbia Records era in the new year. You can trust that it will be interesting, noteworthy and a delight for all fans of the music! Just a little something to look forward to…!"

20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

However, 2020 became a year unlike any we've ever seen. That mixed in with the very tight budgets at SONY these days would indicate to me that anything "Sinatra" is on the furthest back burner as far as releases go.

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Chuck just posted some more info at the SFF during this week’s broadcast of “Nancy for Frank” on SiriusXM:

NFF SHOW #516 - Week of June 21, 2020 [Father's Day - The Celebration Continues!]

Mr. H, kennyluc1, Daveymoore and 6 others like this.
  22. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

PhantomStranger, paulmock and Bob F like this.
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

And pray tell: What “highly respected and ultra-high quality audiophile label” do we know which puts out both SACD and vinyl product? ;)

zoltantamas, CBackley and paulmock like this.
  24. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

A new Frank Sinatra SACD release is always something to rejoice about. The fact that it will include Columbia recordings makes it even more special.

PhantomStranger, Mr. H and CBackley like this.
  25. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I hope and assume a hybrid sacd?