Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: 2019 - 2023 Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Jan 11, 2019.

1. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Nice photo. I notice on my new Dylan Rough and Rowdy Ways Benmont is listed as an additional musician.

Back to Tom Petty/Heartbreakers
    What a great cover that would make. Is this - the picture above (very Little Feat/Neon Park) likely to be used on a physical product one day. I assume it is digital only?

enro99 and Instant Dharma like this.
  3. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

What is the song ''Rattlesnake?" Was it ever played on XM or live or Buried Treasure etc? Can't find anything on it?

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Who's interested in making a ''re-echo" playlist/sequence out of these songs? Would be interested what fans come up with. Something to do anyways haha

5. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well if you want to go further back there is the soundtrack "Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One".

It's an unreleased song which is why it has no track source listed next to it. Tom Petty/Heartbreakers have a treasure trove of unreleased works that remain unheard by the public at large. This is one of them.

Tim 2, Hep Alien and btltez like this.
  6. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Yes I know that but figured since you listed it, it may be floating around out in the universe lol

7. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

8. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

9. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

You know, I actually did this back in the day. As you can probably tell by my avatar, Echo happens to be one of my favorite albums! I came up with a new track sequence, which started with "Free Girl Now" and included "Sweet William," which at the time was ultra rare. I even burned it on a CD and listened to it in my car. It definitely had a totally different vibe. For the life of me, I have no idea what my revised track order was now. I'll have to try and find it.

10. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I love Echo but always felt it could use some re-sequencing and maybe cut at least one of the weaker tracks for "Sweet William".

Adding the song or two from the "American Treasure" set from this era may help it flow better as well. I've never really played with it so I'd be interested in your sequence as well as anyone else's!

enro99, faceinthecrowd and btltez like this.
  11. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I came up with this. Prob still too long but I like all these songs. Might tweek it some more...
    [​IMG]

Hep Alien and faceinthecrowd like this.
  12. McCool

If you happen to enjoy...you might also like...

It's been awhile since I've penned an op-ed but I figured today I'd spotlight four albums that feature Tom Petty/Heartbreakers masquerading in some form or another. These are for the discerning Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fan who has exhausted their entire catalog and is looking for something new to listen to:

[​IMG]
    Drop Down And Get Me - Del Shannon - 1981

A Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fan on "A-nother forum" described this as being "Hard Promises" beta and I would have to agree. This album is the link between "Hard Promises" and "Long After Dark" although it's recording history is a bit more complicated than that. Much like his brother-of-the-road, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty began recognizing in the early eighties that many of his rock 'n' roll heroes of the pre-British Invasion era were having their careers marginalized. It seemed that in the early eighties nobody wanted to hear for instance a new Del Shannon record. So Tom Petty along with the Heartbreakers decided to set about crafting a modern record for an artist who had been unjustly relegated to the catalog stacks.

The recording of "Drop Down And Get Me" began in 1978 and would continue sporadically through 1981, representing Tom Petty's first time at the helm of producing another artist's record. The album itself retains the same Big Jangle feel of the first four Tom Petty/Heartbreakers albums and most importantly represents the band's first collaboration with their soon-to-be new addition on the bass guitar, Howie Epstein who Petty would soon nick from Shannon's band to become the newest Heartbreaker. Standout tracks include Shannon's covers of The Rolling Stones ("Out Of Time") and the single "Sea Of Love", a reputable interpretation of the Phil Phillips classic

If you happen to enjoy "Damn The Torpedoes"/"Hard Promises", you might also like "Drop Down And Get Me" (Del Shannon)

[​IMG]

Rock On! - Del Shannon - 1991-10-01

Del Shannon gets another turn at bat here, sadly posthumously. While most baby boomers and Gen Xers are familiar with the Jeff Lynne productions, "Cloud Nine", "Full Moon Fever" and "Mystery Girl", Shannon's "Rock On" is a hidden classic due much in part to the participation of Tom Petty/Heartbreakers. Remember "Wilbury Records", the somewhat tongue in cheek record label that issued the two albums by the fictitious band of Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame brethren? Well it almost wasn't so fictitious! Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty following the success of some of the aforementioned records were planning on making "Wilbury Records" a full-fledged endeavor and the first artist they were going to sign was Del Shannon.

Unfortunately Shannon's life would come to a tragic and premature end and it entirely soured Petty/Lynne on the idea of the label. But the record itself largely produced with the assistance of Mike Campbell is an amazing testament to Lynne's production style of the day. It absolutely shimmers in the California sun with standouts being the Lynne/Petty/Shannon composition "Walk Away", the power pop of "Are You Loving Me Too?", the powerful falsetto on "Calling Out My Name" and the gorgeous "Lost In A Memory" and "I Got You". But holy heck, the entire album is a beautiful tribute to a beautiful soul. Shannon sings his ass off on this record, check out Shannon belting out "I Go To Pieces". Amazing.

If you happen to enjoy "Full Moon Fever", you might also like "Rock On! (Del Shannon)

[​IMG]
    Unchained - Johnny Cash - 1996-11-05

"Should I sign Johnny Cash?" was Rick Rubin's simple query to Tom Petty while they were recording "Wildflowers". Petty replied in the affirmative and as history writes it that is really all there was to it. Well actually there is quite a bit more to the story. Much as Del Shannon's "Drop Down And Get Me" serves as a metaphorical musical bridge between "Hard Promises" and "Long After Dark", "Unchained" by Johnny Cash reveals the progression between "Wildflowers" and everything that would follow. While much has been made over the years about an unheard second half of the "Wildflowers" album, there is a cogent argument to be made that this Rick Rubin helmed production featuring Tom Petty/Heartbreakers backing The Man In Black serves as a natural extension of "Wildflowers" all on it's own. There are some notable differences though. Whereas "Wildflowers" maintains a southern California sensibility, with Cash behind the wheel "Unchained" takes the production approaches used on "Wildflowers" and drives them down the twisted, rural back roads of the deep south.

Ever wonder what "Southern Accents" would've sounded like if it was cut for "Wildflowers"? Well it's on here and it's absolutely gorgeous. Tom Petty would later state that some of the best work the Heartbreakers ever put to tape was on Johnny Cash's "Unchained" and he's not wrong. The guitars absolutely roar, Benmont Tench's keyboards cascade wild as a mad dog and Petty's duets with Cash on tracks such as their interpretation of Don Gibson's "Sea Of Heartbreak" are sublime. Hell if you ever wondered what it would've sounded like if Petty chose to bring in Mudcrutch to back him up on "Wildflowers", it would probably sound pretty close to "Unchained". "Rowboat", "Mean Old Cat", "Country Boy", "I've Been Everywhere" and even the outtake "The Running Kind" (Merle Haggard) are absolute relentless joy. Oh yeah and Lucinda Williams' "Change The Locks" emanated out of this batch as well. Essential listening!

If you happen to enjoy "Wildflowers", you might also like "Unchained" (Johnny Cash)

[​IMG]
    Elizabethtown (Music From The Motion Picture) - Various Artists - 2005-09-13

This one is a bit of a rubber band stretch, but in 2005 as Tom Petty fans were anticipating his forthcoming album, "Highway Companion" another road trip cohort made it's way onto shelves curated by longtime Tom Petty fan/confidant Cameron Crowe. If there was one musical matter that Tom Petty never got around to broaching during his life, it was curating a soundtrack. "Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One" doesn't count, as he gave up the ghost on curating that soundtrack before he started and decided to do the whole thing himself. But with the soundtrack to his film "Elizabethtown", Crowe curates a song cycle that Petty himself would've likely been proud of.

Tom Petty is here of course, and is the only artist gifted with two slots, the then-unreleased "Square One" and a gorgeous Ryan Ulyate recast of "It'll All Work Out". But in terms of being the ultimate road-trip mix, "Elizabethtown" serves as a predecessor to the soon-to-be-issued "Highway Companion" with thoughtful selections by Elton John ("My Father's Gun"), Ryan Adams ("Come Pick Me Up") and The Hollies ("Jesus Was A Crossmaker") plus lesser known earworms by My Morning Jacket, Patty Griffin and I-Nine. Crowe's wife at the time, Heart's Nancy Wilson would craft a score for the film issued separately which comes tantalizingly close to some "Wildflowers" inspired textures. The liner notes to "Elizabethtown" sums it up with the quote "The wild unknown leads you to a place just around the corner. Take a picture when you get there... the road is you". A subtle companion to the entire latter day Tom Petty catalog. Now will someone please tell me where 60B is?

If you happen to enjoy "Wildflowers"/"Highway Companion", you might also like "Elizabethtown (Music From The Motion Picture)"

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  13. McCool

[​IMG]
    Stan Lynch will be the special guest of David Fricke this week on his weekly Friday evening programme on SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" running from 6-10 PM ET/3-7 PM PT. Stan Lynch will be appearing alongside musician Dan Baird as the duo collectively known as The Chefs will be talking about their new record "Heated and Treated" along with a bevy of other topics. For more information on the new record, please check out: Dan Baird

14. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Dan Baird! Songs for the Hearing Impaired is a great, lost album.

bootbox, Haggischomper and btltez like this.
  15. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

so is Buffalo Nickel by him. Great record

16. McCool

17. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  18. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

probably just another single track

Blue Sky likes this.
  19. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

but looking forward to anything at this point

20. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Those are lyrics to “Runnin’ Down A Dream”, unless Tom recycled them for a Wildflowers era track?

By the way, @btltez , I’d love it to be what we think it is, too.

Maybe Mike has some sort of virtual promotion for The Dirty Knobs since the long anticipated and awaited tour will likely be postponed till 2021 now?

btltez likes this.
  21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

RE: Johnny Cash / Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Unchained - I recommend the Chris Bellman cut of the vinyl from 2014. No surprise it sounds much better than the original vinyl.

Johnny Cash - American II: Unchained

btltez and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  22. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Let's hope for something good !

KinkySmallFace1991 and btltez like this.
  23. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I still can’t believe “Sweet William” wasn’t on the album. It rocks in concert.

24. McCool

[​IMG]
    This Wednesday [2020-07-29] at 10 AM ET/7 AM PT, David Fricke will be joined by Benmont Tench and longtime Tom Petty/Heartbreakers producer George Drakoulias to premiere the worldwide debut of an unreleased Tom Petty song live on SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio".

supermd, Hep Alien, Bonddm and 9 others like this.
  25. McCool

According to Mark Felsot of SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio", the aforementioned premiere has been delayed until next week. I'm not sure exactly why this is the case at this time although it could be a coordination issue? If I am able to find out anything I'll post it up here. Hang tight!

Hep Alien, Bonddm, Mooserfan and 3 others like this.