Gen X only - Your opinion of the state of modern music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, Jul 5, 2020.

1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I think the level of musicianship is really high these days.

Now granted, this isn't mainstream pop but just as an example every player in this is great...

And that's just one example. I find more often than not looking at videos like this I'll think who is that drummer or whatever and end up looking it up.

Starwanderer and Jmac1979 like this.
  2. vamborules

One of my favorite young artists is Madison Cunningham. Great guitar player, singer and songwriter.

3. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

I've tried to listen to Billie Eilish but when I saw one of her videos I thought, "ohhhhh she's trying to do that weird Bjork artsy thing, except Bjork did it better. Well, been there, done that". That was my impression regarding her appearance. As for the music... didn't grab me. My personal opinion, when something is great you feel it immediately. With her music.... didn't feel it.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. Mr D

Mr D Forum Resident

Early Gen Xer, born in 66.

To me modern music is in the toilet. I can't relate to it as it seems to mostly be rap, hip-hop or country. But to be fair, I've not really tried because I don't have the time or the interest. My music is the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Rock, hard rock, metal. Metallica is about as hard as I go. I have expanded my musical interests greatly in the past decade, but it is all been looking backwards. With so much music of the past being discarded in $1 bins, there has been plenty to explore that I missed the first time around. I have also gotten into and enjoy exploring blues music.

I generally hear newer music through my son and the bands he is into. Newer meaning anything post 2000. Some things I like, Twenty One Pilots, Linkin Park, Chevelle, while others like Breaking Benjamin are just OK. I'm sure there is good music being made today but I don't really know where to look. It's not something my friends are into anyway so not much point in looking. As I said, I'm perfectly content looking backwards.

5. thnkgreen

One does get a certain satisfaction knowing they are listening to music that has passed by the ears of folks in the know. Think of all the people who use these forums asking for advice about the best sounding pressing of an album, or the best live version of a track. Let's face it, life is short, and personally I do want the best. Imagine the poor soul who lived their life thinking there's no greater song on earth than the Oak Ridge Boys 'Elvira', only to wake up one day to discover 'Only Daddy That'll Walk The Line' or 'He Stopped Loving Her Today' and think "damn, I've been listening to crap for years". My point, consensus matters. Why else does Amazon have 5 star reviews?

6. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Which song did you watch the video for? “Bad Guy” is the big hit, super bass heavy and creepy. I like it, but can see why others might not. Check this one out, though, I think this is a pretty straightforward gorgeous, devastating song:

Starwanderer likes this.
  7. thnkgreen

There is nothing cutting edge anymore. Sorry you don't realize that.

bloodlemons and hi_watt like this.
  8. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

100 Gecs have better tunes though. This is from their second album, which is even more far out, complete with awkward stalker video:

Nice album sleeve as well :nyah:

[​IMG]

ziggytvs likes this.
  9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You've heard every album released in the last ten years, to make that statement?

That's quite impressive

10. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Play this at home to your family, see how they react.

For those interested, it's from Lingua Ignota's - Caligula, one of the most acclaimed albums from last year. Oh, modern music is so tame..,

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  11. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I was born in 1975 and gonna bookmark this thread for tomorrow's Tidal search.

12. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

Born in 1978. I rarely listen to anything released outside 1963-75.

hi_watt likes this.
  13. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

At first I thought that this thread was about Gen X (the band). This shows my age I suppose.

14. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Born 1966. I mostly listen to 60s/garage/punk. I was never a fan of the MTV era (when I was in high school).....mostly punk and the Grateful Dead. I'm not cray about popular modern music, but like some indy artists. Courtney Barnett is a current favorite.

15. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Some more interesting music from last year:

Album: Carl Gari - The Act Of Falling From The 8th Floor

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Born 68... apparently gen x'er... but I think it's all a load of bs anyway.

In recent times music I have heard that is fantastic.....

Devin Townsend, Empath... f'n amazing album, that is even more amazing on the new 5.1 mix. Released originally 2019, and literally just had the 5.1 release.

Raconteurs, Consolers of the Lonely.... about 10 years old, but a fantastic album, worth a listen by anyone who claims to like great rock music.

Rival Sons, Feral Roots and Hollow Bones, released in the last three years (roughly) both excellent rock albums. Somewhat built on the past, with a nice twist of the present.

Decemberists, Hazards of love... is a wonderful concept/story album, with folk, rock, slight metal twists. Stunning piece of work.

Opeth, In Cauda Venenum... I don't like the grumbly stuff they used to do, but this is an excellent album from last year?. Also a series of excellent albums leading up to it.

Dream theater, Distance Over Time... older band, but last years album was sensational.....

I have very little time for exploring new artists and new albums, but from what few I have had time to explore.....

The Death of Music has been greatly exaggerated.
    I think as we get older, we get lazy, we stop listening intently, we hang on to the myth that there is no good new music, and that our generation was the best, or the one before our generation... it is all bs.
    I know this because I was in that place, apathy .... sure there is a lot of new music I am not fond of, and just like the seventies, eighties, nineties ... there is plenty of generic tripe that sells en masse because it is fast food pop, aimed at its consumer . and consumed, charting etc....

There is plenty of excellent modern music, one just needs to care enough to check it out

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  17. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Album: Alameda 5 - Eurodrome (2019).

NorthNY Mark and MikeManaic61 like this.
  18. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Album: Clipping. - There Existed An Adiction To Blood (2019), abstract hiphop from the Sub Pop label!

ziggytvs likes this.
  19. crazymike80

crazymike80 Forum Resident

My main listening the last decade or so has been classic rock. Born in 1979.

I really dislike modern music whether it is mainstream or an indie favorite. Production, vocals, everything about it turns me off.

dude, Earscape and Hombre like this.
  20. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Great stuff out nowadays. Grizzly Bear, the 1975, Father John Misty, Lord Huron, A.A. Bondy, Nathaniel Rateliff, Leon Bridges, Boy and Bear, Bear's Den, Kodaline--the list goes on (and I'm not even terribly current). I love the music I grew up with and still listen to, but also love and listen to the new stuff coming out just as much.

Born 1966, so older who knows who cares why bother sub-genius gen x material.

mschrist likes this.
  21. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

His stuff is so cool. I don’t put it on often but I always love it when I do. I always picture his characters from Hamilton when I listen though :laugh:

RudolphS likes this.
  22. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

You are so right. This reminded me of the first time I heard Roundabout on the radio.

23. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Small, isolated town. Small, isolated minds. What do you expect? Salt of the earth, but would rarely deviate from the top 40 charts.

Kevin j likes this.
  24. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Ive definitely experienced this before. People complaining about new stuff, saying “I want to hear something I already know. I’ve never heard this before.” Yikes.

Lost In The Flood and ARK like this.
  25. vamborules

:rolleyes: