Your favorite film of the eighties?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Sci-fi / horror/love story...terrific movie. Geena Davis never looked better.

Karnak likes this.
  2. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Broadcast News, although it was ruined for any of us who work in the business by the idiotic plot point at the end. Holly Hunter, being appalled that William Hurt's tears were done when they shot cutaways. Everyone who works in the business knows that is how interviews are shot, with one camera and then the cutaways of the interviewer are shot afterwards.

Steve Litos and unclefred like this.
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1988)

With that and The Right Stuff (1983), which is in my top 10 for the decade, Phil Kaufman was my favorite director by the end of the '80s.

That would change before too long... :sigh:

4. houseplantkiller

houseplantkiller Forum Resident

Gandhi

The Mission and Out of Africa were also excellent.

Karnak likes this.
  5. Tord

Tord Forum Resident

Cinema Paradiso

6. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

7. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Stranger Than Paradise and Down By Law by Jim Jarmusch
    Bladerunner by Ridley Scott
    My Beautiful Laundrette, Prick Up Your Ears, Sammy And Rosie Get Laid and Dangerous Liaisons by Stephen Frears
    Mishima - A Life In Four Chapters by Paul Schrader
    Tampopo by Juzo Itami
    Do The Right Thing by Spike Lee
    Idi i Smotri (Come And See) by Elem Klimov
    Lili Marleen, Lola and Veronika Voss by Rainer Werner Fassbinder (Does Berlin Alexanderplatz count?)
    Kaos by Paolo and Vittorio Taviani
    Nostalghia and The Sacrifice by Andrei Tarkovski
    Blue Velvet and Wild At Heart by David Lynch
    The Shining by Stanley Kubrick
    The Draughtsman's Contract, Drowning By Numbers and The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover by Peter Greenaway
    The Year Of Living Dangerously and Dead Poets Society by Peter Weir
    Koyaanisqatsi by Godfrey Reggio
    Fanni And Alexander by Ingmar Bergman
    Brazil by Terry Gilliam
    Fitzcarraldo - Werner Herzog
    Ran by Akira Kurosawa

8. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I purposely discounted Berlin Alexanderplatz from my list. Whilst it was shown theatrically in the United States, it was conceived for, made, and shown as a television series in Europe, and that is the format in which it makes most sense. Lola made my list, though.

I also avoided music films and documentaries, although I was sorely tempted to add Chris Marker’s Sans Soleil to my list.

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  9. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

The Right Stuff.

ianfaith1 likes this.
  10. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Eddie and The Cruisers

gonz likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have at least 100

vinylcrazy97 likes this.
  12. vinylcrazy97

vinylcrazy97 Active Member

Thats A Tough One . I Have Hundreds.

But Here Are Some Of My Favourite Eighties Films.

Musical Comedy Film - The Blues Brothers.

Kid's Film - ET

War Film - Full Metal Jacket

Horror - Nightmare on Elm Street
    Comedy Films - The National Lampoon Films .
    Classic Christmas Eighties Films of my favourites is this - Gremlins.

:righton:

Steve Litos likes this.
  13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I have many more Favorite Movies from the 1990s, so making a List of Movies from the 1980s, if just selecting 1o of them, is not as hard. I realize the OP asked to pick the Best Movie, but others have provided a list, so I was going to go with 5 Movies, but expanded my list to 10 Movies(Gremlins, The Natural and Wall Street just missed the cut).

#10 Raiders of the Lost Ark
    #9 The Breakfast Club
    #8 Hoosiers
    #7 Aliens
    #6 Back to the Future
    #5 Stand By Me(until The Shawshank Redemption, was the Best Movie based off of a Stephen King Book-IMO)
    #4 Do the Right Thing(as relevant today as it was in the year it was released)
    #3 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade(Better Repeatable Viewing than Raiders of the Lost Ark0-IMO)
    #2 Raging Bull

Then, if I only selected One Movie from the 1980s.
    #1 Die Hard(Also the Best Christmas Movie Ever!)
    [​IMG]

14. TheSeldomSeenKid

I will have to see this Movie based on your emphatic recommendation, then see if it cracks my own Top 10 List.

15. TheSeldomSeenKid

Great Movie, but umm came out in 1991.

Steve Litos likes this.
  16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Hmmm...You know, I often get that film mixed up with "Colors". Don't know why.

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

IDK, as cannot answer for you. Both Movies take place in South Central LA, but 'Colors' is a Movie focused on 2 LA Police Officers and 'Boyz N The Hood' focused on a kid growing up in South Central LA among Gang Territory. You could mix up 'Boyz N The Hood' with 'Menace II Society', which was even a more brutal reality on Gang Life in South Central LA, and came out a few years after 'Boyz N The Hood'.

Speaking of 'Colors', I should have included it as one of the few movies that just missed my Top 10 of the 1980s. I knew there would be a few movies that I would forget to consider for inclusion.

'05Train likes this.
  18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I recall "Colors" dealing more with the general gang violence in South central L.A.. I never saw "Menace II Society", although it could now be on my 'to watch" list.

"Boyz In Da Hood" is an absolute classic, though.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  19. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Good list, and you're from Nederlands, I wonder if we should include "The 4th Man"

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  20. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure is one of my favorite films of all time. The direction is brilliant, Danny Elfman's soundtrack is amazing and the movie is truly, truly funny. It's just a joy.

Next, This is Spinal Tap. I don't think I need to explain any further about this film to a bunch of fellow music dorks.

Finally, Raging Bull. A masterpiece.

21. TheSeldomSeenKid

Below is the Trailer for 'Menace II Society'. It was the Hughes Brothers First Movie-IIRC and was the first role for Lorenz Tate when he was younger, and also had Charles Dutton and Jada Pinkett in this Movie. This Movie was so much more violent than 'Boyz N The Hood' that it probably scared away a lot of 'Fly Over Country' People from visiting LA. Of course, in reality, Gang Members Murders mostly are on other Rival Gang Members and they are not looking to kill Tourist. Although, if you make a wrong turn on your way to Knotts Berry Farm day or night, then who knows what happens.

Grant likes this.
  22. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Film comedies tend to throw things at the screen to see what'll stick.
    But this is the rare one which bats 1.000, I swear.
    Not a single misstep. Love it love it.

Karnak and BroJB like this.
  23. TheSeldomSeenKid

This Movie would have made my List if I expanded to Top 20. It has a high rewatch value for me, and has been awhile, so would like to see it again. Holy Crap, I just looked up Paul Reubens and see he is 67 Years Old. Guess, there will be no more Pee Wee Movie Sequels, but assume that was the case anyways after his Movie Theater, ummm incident.

When I first saw the Dude(Jim Parsons?), who plays Sheldon on 'The Big Bang Theory', I mentioned to someone that he looks like Pee Wee Herman.

BroJB likes this.
  24. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

And it lends itself to multiple viewings because there's so much you miss the first time.

It's packed with little touches, amazing set design, unpredictability ( like Burton's quick homages to other filmmakers) funny tossaway gags and oddball background characters (Amazing Larry!) so it never gets old. It actually gets better the more you watch it.

And finally, it delivers maybe my favorite comedy scene in any movie.

Large Marge.

What more can you say? It's an amazing film.

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I've probably see Pee Wees Big Adventure more than any other film in my life. Now I watch it with my daughter.

I consider my favorites "The Goonies" and "Stand By Me". I saw "The Goonies" in the theater on my 9th birthday, "Stand By Me" on my 10th, so I'm a bit sentimental. I watch them at least once a year.

I also watch "Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade" as often as possible.

"Big Trouble In Little China" must also be mentioned.

"Road Warrior" as well.

Okay, getting carried away now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.