Fleetwood Mac / Before The Beginning 1968-1970: Rare Live & Demo Sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

how does this sound, great set

human riff 999 likes this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I don't have this one. It was just released but I believe the show is from a soundboard recording.

human riff 999 likes this.
  3. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I managed to find a copy of a bootleg. If it does exist as a soundboard it would be great. Man of The World played live is pretty special.

4. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I'm not going to go through seven + pages. I'll just say I enjoyed this set immensely.

footlooseman and jay.dee like this.
  5. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

This "Gothenburg 1969" album IS actually from Gothenburg. Konserthuset, April 2 1970.
    Peter Green´s guitar dominates the mix...
    I don´t know how the album sounds, but here is the concert:

6. Damn. Why no CD?!

7. Great news, but I'd have loved to see a CD release. These 50 year old live recordings aren't audiophile quality, so a triple vinyl set is pointless for me.

8. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

It's already been released on the original 3CD edition. This is just the second vinyl volume of it.

9. Ah, that's why the cover is so similar. In that case I already own it all anyway.

10. HarrySmith

HarrySmith Forum Resident

I thought Fleetwood Mac sound engineer Dinky Dawson reckoned it was 2nd November 1969. Was he over overruled at some point?

11. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Wonder if Owsleys tape archive have a complete Warehouse tapes.

footlooseman and John Fell like this.
  12. Understood. That’s good know! :tiphat:

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I dunno what you mean by overruled but it's clearly a tape from the 1970 European tour. One clear giveaway is Peter uses a wah wah, which he didn't do in November 1969. Another is that they play World In Harmony, which wasn't written yet in November 1969.

And they played Gothenburg in April 1970, so assuming Dinky was right about the location, it's 100% sure April 2 1970, Gothenburg. If he was wrong about the location too it could be a German date (we have tapes of the Scandinavian concerts and it's not one of those).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Heh, the source is almost surely bit torrents prepared by fans the "producers" downloaded and then messed up with fake applause and equalization. So, you get to pay for something free made worse.

All Down The Line, Dondy and Tuck1977 like this.
  15. HarrySmith

HarrySmith Forum Resident

Righto, very willing to concede the technical points. My (admittedly old) notes say there was no show played on 2nd April, so has that since been disproven?

DTK likes this.
  16. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

All Down The Line, HarrySmith and DTK like this.
  17. no time

no time Forum Resident

Thanks to everyone for the valuable information I found on these pages. :shtiphat:

18. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

Should I grab The Vaudeville Years even if I have this set?

I also have The Complete Blue Horizon Box, Boston Tea Vol. 1-2-3, Shrine 69, The Essential FM (2CD), Before the Beginning, Then Play On Deluxe.

Am I missing something? Trying to figure it out but a bit hard with my english...

Thanks!

DTK likes this.
  19. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

If you’re a fan of Then Play On, then this set will add to your understanding and appreciation of the sessions for that album. It did for me! :)

20. human riff 999

human riff 999 Forum Resident

Did not know if anybody heard or cares....the recent F Mac Vol 1 Before the Beginning was released and I got the black one and the Dust My Blues Barnes and noble...looks like vol 2 will be out 8/7....i went to B and N to order a Blue Denim Workingmans Dead 50...saw the Vol 2 FM in Sky Blue vinyl pre ordered....got a black one at amazon....I know it sounds stupid....but I am a Original FM Accept No Imitations guy....I love early way best but all are really fine....just wanted to pass it along know you Mac freaks out there probably know about it! I just want it for my collection I get all I can in all forms and versions.....got a lot of cool stuff.
    Thanks The Riff

21. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

The Vaudeville Years and Show-biz Blues both include nice booklets also.

jay.dee, Stu54, Maseman66 and 2 others like this.
  22. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Was this show immediately prior to Peter's meltdown?

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It was a couple of weeks after Peter's supposed meltdown. Whatever they gave him in the Munich castle made him play better than ever before! The truth is of course that there was no meltdown. At all. The rest of the band got scared that Peter was leaving the band. He himself was relieved, at his peak as a musician and playing like a genius.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    hoggydoggy and TheDailyBuzzherd like this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Both sets are absolutely essential for fans of Peter Green and Danny Kirwan imo.

25. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

The full length jams from Then Play On sessions are essential.