Rolling Stones half speed masters available for presale ....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eric Weinraub, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Now, that’s a fantastic day of listening :thumbsup:

scotti likes this.
  2. BOZMAN

BOZMAN Forum Resident

Just to counter some of the complaints about pressing issues, my copies of Black & Blue, and Tattoo You are perfect. Flat, centered and absolutely dead quiet.

MK75, Carl80 and Queezma like this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Mastering wise, yes! Concerning inserts and extras these standalone versions feel a bit like a let down.... :shrug:

Carl80 likes this.
  4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

You got that right! (that percussion has quite the snap to it when it hits) Have listened to Voodoo Lounge twice now, and if a fan of this record and like a good sounding vinyl version with some balls to it and one heck of a bite with some nice clarity, this Half Speed Master is Highly Recommended. It's a shame that some of the other titles here are not in the same league as this one based on previous posts. Got my copy for $33 from my local store and a very good pressing, nice and quiet throughout...nice gatefold with inner inserts including lyrics and pics. Had to put the vinyl in better protective sleeves though.

bmh5879 and Revolver like this.
  5. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I got "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile on Main Street" this weekend.

I think "Exile on Main Street" sounds spectacular. I think the vinyl has a nice, round sound, and I think that helps the instrumental arrangements--which are big on this album!--come through. I've never heard an original vinyl pressing so I can't compare to that, but I prefer it to the '90s Virgin CD that I normally listen to (and which I still really like). In fairness my turntable is better than my CD player.

On the other hand I think "Sticky Fingers" sounds dull and woolly. I compared the first two tracks on it to the '80s CBS CD that I normally listen to (prefer that to the '90s Virgin) and the old CD sounds better to me, crisper and livelier.

6. giacomus

giacomus Forum Resident

true, the 80s CD is really much more detailed and clear... Moreover in my copy there is a noticeable inner groove distortion on moonlight mile towards the end, from 3'30" let's say... on louder passages...
    anyone experiencing the same?
    maybe I'll try another copy, unless somebody else has the same issue...

mschrist and DHamilton like this.
  7. giacomus

giacomus Forum Resident

how does sticky fingers compare to the 2015 edition still available on Amazon?

8. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

The latest pressing is much more reserved. The 2015 is much fuller, more immediate and more in your face but it lacks the smoothness of 1st pressings (Germany and UK) or the 1997 EMI 100. I actually find it a little too aggressive myself, even harsh.

9. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

I‘ve got an Original US Pressing and compared it to the new 1/2 speed and its definitely got some digital in it but still sounds very good. Very dynamic open soundstage. Only quibble is I have some non fill/simbilance on moonlight mile which is my favorite track.

bmh5879 and sharedon like this.
  10. giacomus

giacomus Forum Resident

ok is it a kind of distortion on strings section towards the end?

11. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I concur completely. Exile sounds fantastic, although perhaps almost too much so since the murky sludge is, of course, part of the charm of the original. But the sloppiness remains, so there's that!

mschrist likes this.
  12. Padre69

Padre69 Forum Resident

Just got my Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang.
    Why does it say on both sleeves that they're mastered by Stephen Marcussen? Where's Miles Showell's credits?

13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Typically in the runout groove? "MILES@ABBEYROAD"? :goodie:

14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

@Neonbeam is correct. On my copy of Voodoo Lounge, Miles/Abbey Road is in the runout groove, not the last name though...

Neonbeam likes this.
  15. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

I believe so, will need to relisten to it and report back. Remember hearing it more than once on the same track.

giacomus likes this.
  16. giacomus

giacomus Forum Resident

Yes let me know, or perhaps you can needledrop?!

17. ozeskiman

ozeskiman Active Member

I just got my half speed of Sticky Fingers. It's ok, similar to the double LP version from a few years back. But no comparison to my original 1972 Japanese Warner's pressing. That is the ultimate pressing IMO. Bought it new and love it.

DHamilton likes this.
  18. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

OK, help me sift through everything here because my head is spinning I want Bridges To Babylon on vinyl. Should I spend $35 on the new one or hunt down an original? I'm talking sound quality AND packaging quality. Please advise - thanks!

19. giacomus

giacomus Forum Resident

OK, after some more listening and checking my setup, it turns out that most of the 2020 releases suffer from distortion in the last track of each side. Anybody else experiencing the same, please share.
    The albums were bought from Amazon Italy.

20. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I bought Tattoo You and It's Only Rock and Roll. I enjoyed the sonics of both albums. Good, clean presentation. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

21. giacomus

giacomus Forum Resident

I haven't got It's only rock and roll.
    Tattoo You is not one of the problematic albums, even though Waiting on a friend is not as clean as the other tracks.

22. emartine

emartine Well-Known Member

Anyone knows which one is better: the 2020 half speed remaster or the 2016 half speed? Thanks!

23. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Of Exile? The 2020 half speed for sure. Not even a contest.

Solace likes this.
  24. emartine

emartine Well-Known Member

Thank you!

25. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I've tried three separate copies of this and they all have the same problem during Melody. Really disappointing. This last copy was off center to boot. Think I'm done with these.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    rednedtugent and CBackley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.