John Candy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pocofan, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Quite improved upon his earlier work with the Recess Monkeys, though. :) :wave:
    Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 10.27.37 PM.png

bekayne and Tim S like this.
  2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I don't think that I ever laughed harder than I did during the entire scene where John Candy is driving the car while Steve Martin is sleeping in Trains, Planes & Automobiles.

I still use his Uncle Buck line when he hears a song at the party and tries to act hip : "Who's this? The Grass Roots?"

He also contributed some funny stuff to the short lived "The New Show"

blutiga, kouzie, Karnak and 2 others like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I loved Candy on "SCTV" but can't really claim he did much that was great outside of that show.

He's fun in "Stripes" and in his small "Vacation" and "Little Shop" roles. It's also cool to see him in a dramatic role in "JFK".

I think "PT&A" is his only really effective lead performance.

Unfortunately, he got stuck in a lot of mediocre or worse flicks! :sigh:

stereoptic and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  4. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Interesting note of John Candy... The role of Louis Tully in Ghostbusters was written for John Candy, but he turned it down after reading the script. Rick Moranis was then chosen for the role soon after.

"The rough idea of what Ghostbusters was going to be was bounced around for some time. Dan Aykroyd initially conceived the script for himself to headline with his fellow Saturday Night Live alum and Blues Brothers co-star John Belushi. Following Belushi's unexpected and tragic passing, Aykroyd abandoned the idea for a while altogether. A couple of years later, along with co-writer Harold Ramis and director Ivan Reitman, he picked it back up and completed it. With the concept polished and the project picking up steam, assembling the cast was the next logical step. The core team of Ghostbusters didn't take much effort to put together, and neither did most of the supporting cast. Names like Bill Murray and Sigourney Weaver were no-brainers. However, when it came to the key supporting role of nerdy neighbor Louis Tully, Reitman adamantly sought out one name in particular: the late, great John Candy, who never signed onto the production.

John Candy got the script for Ghostbusters, Reitman made sure of that. What he didn't get was the comedic tone the movie was going for. The character of Louis Tully was written with Candy in mind, Reitman and Ramis having worked with him on the 1981 comedy hit Stripes and being eager to bring him into their ensemble of comedy stars for Ghostbusters. As fate would have it, the man and the material just didn't mesh this time around.

As the director recalled in an interview for the official Ghostbusters YouTube channel, "John didn't get it. He kept saying 'Hey, well, maybe can I do him [Tully] with a German accent?'" Reitman went on to explain, "[Candy] was looking for a handle and we got into the very uncomfortable conversation finally, and it was clear that he was not gonna do it." It was evident that the actor wanted to give it a try, but sadly he just couldn't find a place for his own style within the screenplay. With Candy off the table, the search for a new Louis Tully continued. Thankfully for Reitman and company, the hunt didn't drag on much longer. The director recalled, "I literally called Rick Moranis the same day and sent him the script... Rick called me two hours after he got it and said, 'Please thank Candy for turning this down. This is amazing, I know what to do with this.'" Moranis took the job, made it his own, and the rest is history..." The real reason John Candy said no to Ghostbusters

Pete Puma, Comet01, MikeInFla and 5 others like this.
  5. Timeless Classics

Candy very openly stated he went through a significant time period in the 80s where he was doing a lot of favors for friends out of loyalty without thinking of whether it was a good career move. That's just who Candy was, which is why he is beloved by so many. Candy admitted very candidly in his great interview with Dick Cavett in 1993 that he chose roles in bad movies though recognizing the poor material and chose too many films poor movies.

babyblue, stereoptic, blutiga and 2 others like this.
  6. Timeless Classics

Such an underrated film! Reminds me of a modern-take on the classic Marty (1955). "Sometimes it's good to be a cop." I watch it every year. Candy was perfect in that role.

[​IMG]

7. Timeless Classics

He was great. My favorite scene is when him and Hanks are playing racquetball. Hanks talks about Candy bringing one of his dates to one of his own wedding and Candy says: "I'll serve. You can hold my beer.. that'll be your handicap. I'm going to teach you a lesson in humility - humility 101." And then he knocks himself out. Great physical comedy.

milankey and Tim S like this.
  8. Pratt

Pratt Forum Resident

Miss the big guy! Died way too young.

9. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Wow, I never heard of this one. I must see it!

10. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I love the scene in Splash where Candy speaks Swedish....and then tells Tom Hanks how he learned it. Also at the bar when he tells Hanks he's a freewheelin' guy....extremely liberal!

11. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

John Candy was really a comic genius but sometimes in a very subtle way and I think as a result a bit overlooked. On screen he had a sense of comedic timing and presence that was really quite unique. Off screen he just seem like a really nice guy you would want as a friend. Those who know, know.

12. lc317

lc317 Forum Resident

one of the funniest and most loveable actors of the late 70s and 80s.

Loved him on SCTV and saw most of his movies growing up in the 80s - was a natural for John Hughes' style.

So many great lines and situations, miss the big lug.

[​IMG]

13. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just watched Uncle Buck... one of his best...I never tire of this movie.

15. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Star of the movie

Dynamic Ranger and Michael like this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed...without question...after all he's Uncle Buck! Don't ya just love him? He was the best.

17. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

This is one of my favorite Candy movies beyond the usual suspects. Light in the plot area, but it's got a great cast. A feel-good and relatively innocent comedy, compared to the frat-slob movies that dominated comedies in the mid 1980s.

18. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Who wants an Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Orange Whip?
    Three Orange Whips.
    [​IMG]

forthlin and rob macd like this.
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

This is car 55. Were in a truck!!

SunSon likes this.
  20. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

21. jc1303

jc1303 Forum Resident

Absolutely love John Candy. Uncle Buck and Cool Runnings are films that I will always watch when I see they are on TV, even if I watched them last week!
    Everything he did was great, even if the film wasnt great John Candy would be great in it.
    Died much too young

22. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

23. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Matthew Tate, Karnak and Comet01 like this.
  24. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

:righton:

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

He probably voted for Mayor Tommy Shanks, too ;)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.